Possible Ariel W/VH for sale

  • Gerard Cooksley
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 3, 2009

      Hello All

      I popped home at lunchtime for a bite to eat and sat on the door mat was the latest copy of the Old Bike Mart. Inside, for sale, is an Ariel rigid/girder 500cc that looks to be in dark green paint and it states that it’s circa 1941. The price listed is £4250. I tried the telephone number to see if I could get a registration, frame or engine number but there was no reply.

      The bike has a single tool box and an early (non-pannier) rear carrier, other that the picture is too small to make much else out.

      If it is military it could be 1 of only 45 Ariel W/VH’s supplied to the War Department in 1940 so quite a rare beast. Alternatively it may be a W/NG that had an engine swap to a 500cc lump during or after the war. Either way if someone is in the market for an Ariel war horse it may be worth following up. Sadly there is no more room in the garage for another bike.

      Rather stupidly I forgot to bring the number back to work with me.

      Gerard

    • matchlesswdg3
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 11, 2009
        Gerard,

        George did me proud and actually sent me a lug he made up! This is made so that it can be screwed into the (drilled and tapped) lug stub and then either superglued or welded. I could send you a drawing and photo if you want if you email me at fergus.anckorn@.... Ferg