Normandy 2009 - Obama , oh bummer

  • matchlesswdg3
    Message 1 of 5 , May 19, 2009
      I see Prez Obama is heading to Utah Beach on 6th then meeting Sarkozy and Brown in British Sector - and visitng Pegasus Bridge, possibly. So like 2004, there is bound to be another security clampdown and restrictions in some areas. Also I see the Douvres la Deliverande camp site is now the Sports Complex, NOT the radar museum! Hopefully that means easier access to loos and showers. Now all we need is some nice weather. I have begun incantations. See you NOBS soon! Ferg
    • Edd
      Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2009
        Hi Ferg and All.

        Lets hope the weather warms up to 2004 levels.. i remember one day riding to 7.00 pm in shirt sleeves it was so hot,, covering 125 miles that day...
        I enjoyed watching the endless Helicopters in the sky in 2004.....God knows what it cost in wearing out helicopters that year !!
        We need a Helicopter to take a photo of all the bikes on the beach.
        When i went to northern Holland  .friesland in May 1995...their 50th anniv. of Freedom over 100 maybe more military vehicles including DUKW,s  and big Jimmies were arranged to spell  "50 years Free "...in  dutch of course.. This took about 3 hours to arrange..with the helicopter going up and down until the photographer was happy with the vehicle positioning. i still have the Newspaper !!
        The picture made the front page in National Dutch press !!

        Anyone know a helicopter based  at Carpiquet ?

        Ed

        Message 3 of 5 , May 21, 2009
          Helicopter? OK, maybe someone could bring that genuine WW2 Luftwaffe helicopter - you know, the one that features in that true-life film, "Where Eagles Dare"?!!

          --- In wdmotorcycles@yahoogroups.com, "Edd" <edd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ferg and All.
          >
          > Lets hope the weather warms up to 2004 levels.. i remember one day riding to 7.00 pm in shirt sleeves it was so hot,, covering 125 miles that day...
          > I enjoyed watching the endless Helicopters in the sky in 2004.....God knows what it cost in wearing out helicopters that year !!
          > We need a Helicopter to take a photo of all the bikes on the beach.
          > When i went to northern Holland .friesland in May 1995...their 50th anniv. of Freedom over 100 maybe more military vehicles including DUKW,s and big Jimmies were arranged to spell "50 years Free "...in dutch of course.. This took about 3 hours to arrange..with the helicopter going up and down until the photographer was happy with the vehicle positioning. i still have the Newspaper !!
          > The picture made the front page in National Dutch press !!
          >
          > Anyone know a helicopter based at Carpiquet ?
          >
          > Ed

        • gerard cooksley
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2009

            One of the funniest things I ever saw/filmed was at Omaha in 1994. There seemed to be a swarm or Blackhawk helicopters landing in the fields behind the cemetery. After a while a group of them fired up the engines and started to build up revs. A mass of tourists, most of them the stereotypical ‘rounded’ American type complete with shorts, baseball caps and camera’s round their necks, ran over to a gateway on the edge of the field to snap the helicopters taking off. I was sat in a jeep some distance away filming on my video camera. The pilot nearest the tourists lifted really slowly into the sky and climbed to about 30 – 40 feet where he hovered for a while. He then slewed the tail round, again slowly, to face the crowd. He then flung the helicopter into a violent forward bank creating a God awful noise from the blades and shot off into the distance with all haste. Needles to say every eager snapper was blown off their feet, all at the same time and were rolling out of the filed into the car park followed by baseball caps and other debris. I’m sure the pilot did it deliberately and while I did feel sorry for the tourists who at this point had stopped rolling and were now being blasted with dust, grit and soil I couldn’t stop laughing for days.

            I did send it in to ‘You’ve been framed’ but they returned the clip saying it was not suitable, I don’t know why. I’ll try to post it online if I can convert it to a suitable format.

            Gerard

            > I see Prez Obama is heading to Utah Beach on 6th then meeting Sarkozy and
            Brown in British Sector - and visitng Pegasus Bridge, possibly. So like 2004, there is bound to be another security clampdown and restrictions in some areas. Also I see the Douvres la Deliverande camp site is now the Sports Complex, NOT the radar museum! Hopefully that means easier access to loos and showers. Now all we need is some nice weather. I have begun incantations. See you NOBS soon! Ferg

          • Jan Jansen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2009
            Why not one of those vehicles, which can be seen in Middle Wallop.