Re: Footnotes in HTML?

  • Laurie Landry
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 1999
      That's what I'm currently doing right now. Thanks for all the responses, it
      helps. I just thought I heard someone telling me that HTML has a footnote tag...
      next time I just got to remember his background... he's a manager, not an HTML
      programmer. ;>

      Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

      > From: Peter-Paul Koch <ppk@...>
      >
      > >Say for
      > >example I wanted to use the context here as a footnote like so(1). I would
      > >use the SuperScript (SUP) tag, and depending on what size and face of font I
      > >have set
      >
      > This seems to be the best non-frames solution. Something like this is often
      > used on scientific sites.
      >
      > However, what everyone forgets is putting a link below the footnote that
      > leads you back to the place where you started. Usually, the problem is not
      > finding the footnote but rediscovering the referring text after you have
      > read the footnote.
      >
      > ppk

      > Ta Da! Come see our new web site!
      > http://www.onelist.com
      > Onelist: A free email community service
    • Peter-Paul Koch
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 1999
        >Say for
        >example I wanted to use the context here as a footnote like so(1). I would
        >use the SuperScript (SUP) tag, and depending on what size and face of font I
        >have set

        This seems to be the best non-frames solution. Something like this is often
        used on scientific sites.

        However, what everyone forgets is putting a link below the footnote that
        leads you back to the place where you started. Usually, the problem is not
        finding the footnote but rediscovering the referring text after you have
        read the footnote.

        ppk
      • rudy limeback
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 1999
          >However, what everyone forgets is putting a link below the footnote that
          >leads you back to the place where you started. Usually, the problem is not
          >finding the footnote but rediscovering the referring text after you have
          >read the footnote.

          bravo

          sorry for the "me too" type of post but this highlights a major design issue

          hypertext is cool and all, but sometimes it can seriously disrupt reading

          so the refer back is a good idea

          another way to do it is to keep the footnote references close to the
          referring paragraph, so the refer back is not as necessary

          i like the way it's done in www.tbtf.com -- very unobtrusive, very chic

          reminds me of that ryan guy, he does it the same way in his posts

          ooops, sorry, wasn't supposed to mention that other list, was i

          at least i didn't, ahem, defame anybody, heh heh ;o)

          > ... http://www.suchfibel.de/ -- just browse into
          > the site and click on the "footprints"... :-)

          hallo volker

          wo, bitte?

          i couldn't see any footprints

          but that's a heck of a nice site

          ___________________
          rudy limeback
          www.interlog.com/~r937/
        • Jim Hawkins
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
            Good idea, Jon. Thanks for the tip. Who can tell me what the code is
            for closing the popup window? I'd like to include that on the popup
            window on my homepage: see below.
            Jim Hawkins

            Jon Harding wrote:
            > Another way of approaching it may be to use a small popup window - no > title,buttons etc - containing the footnote and a close button.

            --end--
            ^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=^=
            JHAWK Web Design
            ======+++++++++++=====
            http://www.thehawk.net
            JimHawkins@...
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Peter-Paul Koch
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
              >Who can tell me what the code is
              >for closing the popup window? I'd like to include that on the popup
              >window on my homepage: see below.
              >Jim Hawkins

              From the popup itself: window.close()

              ppk
            • Jim Hawkins
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                Thanks, PPK. Sounds easy enough!
                Now, one other trick. Someone gave us the URL for eFAX.
                http://www.efax.com/index.html

                Their page is interesting in that it swipes from left to right
                when it loads. Is there a script for that? I did not see it in
                the source...maybe I missed it. Thanks.

                Jim Hawkins
                ===========

                Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

                > >From the popup itself: window.close()

                > ppk

              • Peter-Paul Koch
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                  >Thanks, PPK. Sounds easy enough!
                  >Now, one other trick. Someone gave us the URL for eFAX.
                  >http://www.efax.com/index.html
                  >
                  >Their page is interesting in that it swipes from left to right
                  >when it loads. Is there a script for that? I did not see it in
                  >the source...maybe I missed it. Thanks.

                  I guess it's because the background is a .gif of 1x1 pixel. When it loads,
                  you get the swiping effect (far more on the Mac than on PC). This is
                  usually a pretty nasty effect that you want to get rid of ASAP, but I agree
                  it's kind of OK on this site.

                  The scripts are just for preloading and image swapping.

                  ppk
                • Volker Schoech
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                    On NN4.5/WinNT4, it doesn't swipe.
                    V.

                    --
                    Volker C. Schoech
                    Hamburg-Trier, Germany - schoech@...
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                      >I guess it's because the background is a .gif of 1x1 pixel.

                      Sorry, the height can't be 1 pixel, but I guess the width is.

                      ppk
                    • Jon Harding
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                        Yes I quite like this use of frames. Another way of approaching it may be
                        to use a small popup window - no title,buttons etc - containing the
                        footnote and a close button. That way you don't lose track of the referring
                        text/link. Has to be at least one good use for those annoying little popup
                        windows...s ;-)

                        >From: Volker Schoech <schoech@...>
                        >At
                        > http://www.suchfibel.de/
                        >there is another very pretty idea realized. The site is in german, but that
                        >doesn't matter in this case -- just browse into the site and click on the
                        >"footprints"... :-)

                        Jon Harding

                        Net Inc
                      • Jim Hawkins
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                          Thanks again. I think you must be correct. One pixel sweeping across
                          the page makes sense. Neat!

                          Jim Hawkins
                          ============
                          Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

                          > From: Peter-Paul Koch <ppk@...>
                          >
                          > >I guess it's because the background is a .gif of 1x1 pixel.
                          >
                          > Sorry, the height can't be 1 pixel, but I guess the width is.
                          >
                          > ppk
                        • Gary Bland
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 10, 1999
                            At 08:39 AM 3/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
                            >From: Jim Hawkins <JimHawkins@...>
                            >
                            >Good idea, Jon. Thanks for the tip. Who can tell me what the code is
                            >for closing the popup window? I'd like to include that on the popup
                            >window on my homepage: see below.
                            >Jim Hawkins
                            >
                            >Jon Harding wrote:
                            >> Another way of approaching it may be to use a small popup window - no >
                            >title,buttons etc - containing the footnote and a close button.

                            I put onBlur="window.close() in the body tag.

                            Gary

                            Gary Bland
                            Webmaster
                            StarChaser Web Design