Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [WCS] Render Farming with Superconductor

Expand Messages
  • Support Human
    ... You cannot use SuperConductor (or most any render farm controller) with direct output to quicktime or AVI. The frames don t necessarily finish in-order, as
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      On 1/26/2012 12:19 PM, Franklin Ebner wrote:
      > I am trying to use Superconductor with two computers (to start with) to render a test
      > animation. When I tried rendering with Superconductor, it started to work, however it was
      > stopping after each frame and asking for video compression and fractal maps - in other
      > words it seemed to want to start each frame as if it were a new render job. I was also
      > running into problems with missing fractal depth maps as well as trying to get multiple
      > cores to render.

      You cannot use SuperConductor (or most any render farm controller) with direct output to
      quicktime or AVI. The frames don't necessarily finish in-order, as quicktime and AVI require.

      We also don't recommend rendering directly to animation anyway, because you usually want
      to experiment with different compression settings anyway.

      > We have VNS set up in a way where the software is on our local computer drive (C drive)
      > but all of our projects are on our company server (J drive).

      This should be fine.

      > I followed the Superconductor
      > tutorial but only shared (didn't map) the WCS folder on the local computer drive because I
      > figured all the project paths are shared and the VNS software is also shared.

      I didn't follow this description.

      > With our
      > setup, do you think it makes sense to install VNS on our actual server (J drive) or does
      > it sound like I need to simply map the folder as per the tutorial?

      You should not need VNS installed on the server, only the clients, and have only the
      shared projects on the server.

      Use one client to generate the fractal depth maps in advance and store them on the
      server prior to beginning the farmed rendering.


      --

      Support-Human@...
      http://3dnature.com/techsupport.html
      Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
      for tips on asking questions well to get your issue resolved quickly.
    • Franklin Ebner
      ... Okay, I m not very familiar with file formats for animations, but what would be the most efficient way to use Superconductor to render an animation? I
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In wcsml@yahoogroups.com, Support Human <support-human@...> wrote:
        >
        > On 1/26/2012 12:19 PM, Franklin Ebner wrote:
        > > I am trying to use Superconductor with two computers (to start with) to render a test
        > > animation. When I tried rendering with Superconductor, it started to work, however it was
        > > stopping after each frame and asking for video compression and fractal maps - in other
        > > words it seemed to want to start each frame as if it were a new render job. I was also
        > > running into problems with missing fractal depth maps as well as trying to get multiple
        > > cores to render.
        >
        > You cannot use SuperConductor (or most any render farm controller) with direct output to
        > quicktime or AVI. The frames don't necessarily finish in-order, as quicktime and AVI require.
        >
        > We also don't recommend rendering directly to animation anyway, because you usually want
        > to experiment with different compression settings anyway.

        Okay, I'm not very familiar with file formats for animations, but what would be the most efficient way to use Superconductor to render an animation? I assume it can do this directly because it seems to be made for such a task. I know you mentioned that you don't recommend rendering directly to an animation, but I'm not sure of other ways.

        >
        > > We have VNS set up in a way where the software is on our local computer drive (C drive)
        > > but all of our projects are on our company server (J drive).
        >
        > This should be fine.
        >
        > > I followed the Superconductor
        > > tutorial but only shared (didn't map) the WCS folder on the local computer drive because I
        > > figured all the project paths are shared and the VNS software is also shared.
        >
        > I didn't follow this description.
        >

        I wasn't very clear here (sorry) but I don't think it's an issue, I was just going into detail about our current setup.

        > > With our
        > > setup, do you think it makes sense to install VNS on our actual server (J drive) or does
        > > it sound like I need to simply map the folder as per the tutorial?
        >
        > You should not need VNS installed on the server, only the clients, and have only the
        > shared projects on the server.
        >
        > Use one client to generate the fractal depth maps in advance and store them on the
        > server prior to beginning the farmed rendering.
        >
        Sounds good, I'll give this a try, thanks for your help!
        > --
        >
        > Support-Human@...
        > http://3dnature.com/techsupport.html
        > Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
        > for tips on asking questions well to get your issue resolved quickly.
        >
      • Support Human
        ... Render to a set of PNG images and use Quicktime Pro or premiere or Vegas or Windows Movie Maker or something similar to do the assembly into a movie. --
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          On 1/26/2012 12:39 PM, Franklin Ebner wrote:
          > Okay, I'm not very familiar with file formats for animations, but what would be the most
          > efficient way to use Superconductor to render an animation? I assume it can do this
          > directly because it seems to be made for such a task. I know you mentioned that you don't
          > recommend rendering directly to an animation, but I'm not sure of other ways.

          Render to a set of PNG images and use Quicktime Pro or premiere or Vegas or Windows
          Movie Maker or something similar to do the assembly into a movie.

          --

          Support-Human@...
          http://3dnature.com/techsupport.html
          Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
          for tips on asking questions well to get your issue resolved quickly.
        • Franklin Ebner
          ... This will work great, thank you!
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2012
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In wcsml@yahoogroups.com, Support Human <support-human@...> wrote:
            >
            > On 1/26/2012 12:39 PM, Franklin Ebner wrote:
            > > Okay, I'm not very familiar with file formats for animations, but what would be the most
            > > efficient way to use Superconductor to render an animation? I assume it can do this
            > > directly because it seems to be made for such a task. I know you mentioned that you don't
            > > recommend rendering directly to an animation, but I'm not sure of other ways.
            >
            > Render to a set of PNG images and use Quicktime Pro or premiere or Vegas or Windows
            > Movie Maker or something similar to do the assembly into a movie.
            >
            This will work great, thank you!
            > --
            >
            > Support-Human@...
            > http://3dnature.com/techsupport.html
            > Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
            > for tips on asking questions well to get your issue resolved quickly.
            >
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.