Forest Density from Orthophoto

  • tttomw
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2011
      Can anyone point me to a good method for extracting a forest density color map or shape file from high resolution ortho photos?

      Thanks,
      Tom
    • Scott Cherba
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2011
        Hi Tom,

        I have produced realistic results using grayscale Landsat Band 4 near
        infrared (0.760 - 0.900 µm) images to drive foliage density within
        Ecosystems. In this range, deciduous leaves have higher values and
        coniferous leaves have lower values. There's more information in the
        Technical Information section at
        http://www.cherba.com/wcs/gallery/galena/galena.htm. Maybe it will give you
        some ideas for your project.

        Regards,
        Scott

      • tttomw
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 19, 2011
          Scott,
          That Galena work is very cool. What ground resolution was the Landsat data you were using? We need to be able to delineate mature forested areas down to sub 10 meter resolution.
          Thanks for the input.
          Tom

          --- In wcsml@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Cherba" <wcsm@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > I have produced realistic results using grayscale Landsat Band 4 near
          > infrared (0.760 - 0.900 µm) images to drive foliage density within
          > Ecosystems. In this range, deciduous leaves have higher values and
          > coniferous leaves have lower values. There's more information in the
          > Technical Information section at
          > http://www.cherba.com/wcs/gallery/galena/galena.htm. Maybe it will give you
          > some ideas for your project.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Scott

        • Scott Cherba
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 19, 2011
            The Landsat 7 band used has a resolution of 30 m. Not great, but useful
            when other data are lacking.