RE: [WCS] duotone shading

  • Adam Hauldren
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
      Alternatively, you can use WCS6 post process feature to tint a greyscale
      render based on North/East Deviation.

      To create true green shadows, just set your ambient light to a green tint ;)

      Regards

      Adam

    • Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
        Ev Wingert wrote:
        > As my clients have come to expect the quality of WCS shaded relief, they
        > have also become more sophisticated in their demands.

        Hate that, huh? ;)

        > Have spent many hours
        > trying to create a duotone style shaded relief. The traditional way was to
        > create a grey scale shading, expose it differently in making two half-tones
        > and then print it litho in two different green inks to create the shaded
        > part of topography in green rather then grey shadows with a green color.
        > Can also do a similar process in post in PhotoShop, which I have trouble
        > controlling.

        Could you perhaps refer me to some samples of what the 'traditional'
        method looks like, and maybe a more complete explanations of its process?

        Also would like to know what you've done in Photoshop, and how it looks.

        > I have messed with green sunlight and different balances of direct and
        > ambient, but still the bottom line is grey shadows under the color light or
        > overlay. Can anyone think of a way in WCS to get green shadows?

        I'm pretty sure we can come up with something cool to do with PostProcessing
        that would work for you, if we had a better idea of your requirements.

        > ev - pacific mapping

        Chris - Xenon
        --
        Chris Hanson | Xenon@... | Life is too short to fold socks!
        New World Construction Set 6 Demo Version!: http://www.3DNature.com/demo/
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
          Thanks Adam: I thought I had tried that but it may have been in combo with
          green sunlight, will try again.

          ev

          >To create true green shadows, just set your ambient light to a green tint ;)
          >
          >Regards
          >
          >Adam
        • Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
            Ev Wingert wrote:
            >>To create true green shadows, just set your ambient light to a green tint ;)
            > Thanks Adam: I thought I had tried that but it may have been in combo with
            > green sunlight, will try again.

            If you then tint your sunlight with the corresponding amount of green _removed_,
            then lit areas should balance out to white, and unlit areas will be the green tone
            you want.

            >>Regards
            >>Adam

            Chris - Xenon
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
              >Chris:

              > If you then tint your sunlight with the corresponding amount of green
              > _removed_,
              >then lit areas should balance out to white, and unlit areas will be the
              >green tone
              >you want.

              Got it!, now I need to hone the process a bit to get the effect I want.

              ev
            • Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2002
                Ev Wingert wrote:
                >> If you then tint your sunlight with the corresponding amount of green
                >>_removed_,
                >>then lit areas should balance out to white, and unlit areas will be the
                >>green tone
                >>you want.
                > Got it!, now I need to hone the process a bit to get the effect I want.

                Love to see the final result when you're happy with it.

                > ev

                Chris - Xenon