Basic brewing structure

  • KenHettinger
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
      I thumbing thru Northern Tools I came across a cooking cart that may be interesting to us.

      http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200405761_200405761&issearch=75416
      Ken
    • Phil
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
        Do you think that this cart can hold the weight of two kegs?

        Phil

      • hetken1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
          An additional center leg could added

          From: Phil <dogglebe@...>
          Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
          To: <wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [wchomebrew] Basic brewing structure

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
            That's what I was thinking.

            BAH tonight?  I can't stay late.  I'm thinking 6:30 to 8:00 myself.

          • dckulk@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
              The size may be an issue---my old style kegs (rounded sides) need a minimum footprint of 32" this is when they are touching

              From: hetken1@...
              Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:28:16 +0000
              To: <wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>

              An additional center leg could added

              From: Phil <dogglebe@yahoo. com>
              Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
              To: <wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com>

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                If old style kegs have rounded sides, what do new style kegs have?

                BTW - anyone ever use a steam injector for mashing?

                From: hetken1@aol. com
                Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:28:16 +0000
                To: <wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com>

                An additional center leg could added

                From: Phil <dogglebe@yahoo. com>
                Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com>

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                  Tom Potter (Brooklyn Brewery co-founder) is going to be using direct steam injection in his mash tun at his new venture, the New York Distilling Company. The way that it's implemented is really low-tech and similar to the Homebrew Talk post, just a bit bigger in scale.

                  Instead of a pressure cooker he has a small steam boiler. The mash tun has a thermostat probe with a remote read out. When it's time to kick up the heat, he'll just open a ball valve

                  I guess my point is that it seems like a low tech solution to an age old problem. It has the added benefit of being able to avoid the problem of temperature drop over the course of an hour in the cooler even if you're not step mashing.

                  -Vlad

                • hetken1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                    we getting some Dick s. Tonight?

                    From: dckulk@...
                    Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:48:02 +0000
                    To: Wchomebrew<wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: hetken1@aol. com
                    Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:28:16 +0000
                    To: <wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com>

                    An additional center leg could added

                    From: Phil <dogglebe@yahoo. com>
                    Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com>

                    Do you think that this cart can hold the weight of two kegs?

                    Phil

                    I thumbing thru Northern Tools I came across a cooking cart that may be interesting to us.

                    http://www.northern tool.com/ shop/tools/ product_20040576 1_200405761& issearch= 75416
                    Ken

                  • Eric Freberg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                      Sorry, I can't come to the Dick's tasting.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:41 AM, Phil <dogglebe@...> wrote:

                      That's what I was thinking.

                      BAH tonight?  I can't stay late.  I'm thinking 6:30 to 8:00 myself.

                      Phil

                      Do you think that this cart can hold the weight of two kegs?

                      Phil

                      I thumbing thru Northern Tools I came across a cooking cart that may be interesting to us.

                      http://www.northern tool.com/ shop/tools/ product_20040576 1_200405761& issearch= 75416
                      Ken

                    • Chris Cuzme
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                        Oh man, I had a lot of Dick's in my mouth last nigt at the Tiger.  I'm still paying for it...  (I didn't stop with Dick's)

                        ~
                        www.cuzme.com
                        646-942-7758

                        From: dckulk@verizon. net
                        Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:48:02 +0000
                        To: Wchomebrew<wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>

                        From: hetken1@aol. com
                        Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:28:16 +0000
                        To: <wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>

                        An additional center leg could added

                        From: Phil <dogglebe@yahoo. com>
                        Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:16:42 -0700 (PDT)
                        To: <wchomebrew@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2010
                          Meijer has this for $179. I'm thinking of getting one.
                          I was a little worried about what weight it could accommodate too,
                          I scanned through the product guide and it doesn't mention any limitation, it does say the jet burner can handle a 120 qt vessel, so I'd have to think you can do a 10 gallon all grain batch.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
                            OK last note on this:

                            Meijer offers $10 off with promo code 10BUCKS (until April 8). So all told with shipping we're talking $200.

                            The upper burner is cast and they recommend max 30 qt vessel. I suppose it's good for heating up sparge water.
                            The lower burner is jet and they recommend max 120 qt vessel.

                            Eric

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010

                              The upper burner weight rating seems limiting. Sparge volume for a net 10 gallon batch is over 40 quarts. Maybe the top structure can be modified?

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 11, 2010
                                Did my first (5gal) batch on my King Kooker yesterday.
                                Overall I'm satisfied, and I'm reasonably sure the upper part can easily handle 10gal sparge water in a 15 gal vessel.
                                There are some drawbacks and limitations, eg the upper level is too low for a gravity feed to the lower, so after heating I had to boost up my HLT on an upside down brewpot. It's pretty thin and basic.
                                Anyway, if any of you were seriousl considering this, feel free to stop by and check it out, I'm a mile from CLBC, call first 6715208.
                                Or I'll probably bring it to the next group brew (may 1 - btw any pref if I should ask Scott, versus one of the club members backyards - if so, any volunteers?)
                                Eric

                                Sent from my iPhone