Re: [wchomebrew] Re: weyerman cara red

  • Bob Trombetta
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2008
      Joe,
      The Alexanders is very light and leaves little body.  Mini- mash more grains such as cara-pils, crystal15lb and Munich along with pale malt. this will add more grain character and mouth feel. I use at least 3 lbs along with 5-7 lbs dme.  With liquid add 20+%.

      Bottom line all grain is better but you can improve the quality of extract brews.

                                                    Bob

      From: Eric Freberg <efreberg177@ yahoo.com>
      To: wchomebrew@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, December 29, 2008, 8:04 AM

      Don't know Joe - you've got 8 lbs malt extract and a pound of crystal (cara-red), that sounds like plenty. This is appx the amount of malt I've used recently in IPA and Wee Heavy. What were your starting & ending gravity?

      Eric

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009

        I’ve not used it, but according to Beer Tools, mashing is required.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009

          Unless you did a mini mash, I’m not sure you are getting the most out of the carared and the pale malt. When brewing an extract recipe, I usually throw in 4 oz of maltodextrine to help with body and mouthfeel.

          Mike

          wrote:

          > Anyone use weyerman's cara red? Can it be steeped as a special grain?
          > What kind of beer is it used in? Thanks.
          >
          > Joe

        • joe meslener
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 8, 2009
            I made a second batch and after poking around abit that is exactly what I tried. It is secondarying right now. I hope it turns out good.

            Joe