Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: School Board Meeting Last Night to Diane & Mel

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
      --Diana:

      Not to defend Audrey, but if the person (an adult particularly) can't sign their name, I would put little faith in what they say. Unless people are willing to stand up for the students in this district, there will be little change, because they can speak out of both sides of their mouth, when it comes to major issues and never take a public stand. If a parent is afraid to speak out, particularly, if they claim they are concerned about black and brown children, they are no better than the person they speak of and in some cases worst, because at least we know "somewhat" where Audrey stand, therefore, we can deal with her, and hopefully educate her, but to throw rocks and hide your hand is not someone I trust.

      From: Diamel@...

      > Dear Mel and Diane,
      > Thank you both so much for attending last night's board meeting. I
      > have really enjoyed meeting both of you and I'm so happy to know that
      > you are both teachers for our school district. Thank you very much
      > for your continued service to our kids.
      >
      > Mel, thank you for speaking out and identifying yourself as Workgroup
      > member 12. I appreciate your standing up to the critisism from the
      > Castro members on the workgroup.
      >
      > Lastly, I did not support Ms. Miles for school board because as a
      > parent who has regularly attended board meeting for the past 3 years,
      > I could not support her because I had never seen her at one school
      > board meeting in all that time. Even though she is a teacher, I did
      > not think she was qualified to be a school board member. After she
      > was elected, I hoped that she would at least represent the black and
      > brown kids of Richmond since the board has been so lopsided with El
      > Cerrito residents sitting on the board. Unfortunately, Ms. Miles has
      > not stepped up to the plate and she does not do her homework when it
      > comes to the important decisions facing our school district. I was
      > very disappointed when I found out that she does not send her kids to
      > public school but instead sends them to Catholic Schools. She is not
      > vested in this district and her decisions will never personally affect
      > her children. This is not a racial issue with me. I don't think Ms.
      > Miles is a racist, I just think she is uninformed when it comes to our
      > school district. It's been pretty obvious that she's someone who
      > votes as she's told without an understanding behind her votes. I
      > really hope the teachers in our school district let her know loud and
      > clear that her vote last night to support a K-8 at one of the most
      > elite schools in our district, when there are still schools in
      > Richmond (the city where she lives) that have old, decrepit classrooms
      > is just unbelievable and is definitely not a vote in support of
      > teachers or the students in our school district. Knowing how the
      > teachers reacted when we tried to suggest that Madera go just through
      > sixth grade when they were planning for the construction there, I feel
      > pretty confident that the Kensington teachers are not for this plan.
      > How she could put 130 kids from an elite neighborhood above the other
      > 5,000 middle school students in our school district is just
      > unfathomable to me. I hope someone tries to educate her about this so
      > that she can start making some more informed decisions.
      >
      > I would appreciate hearing any feedback that you want to provide. You
      > can also feel free to post my comments on the teachers discussion
      > group but I would appreciate it if you did not identify me by name.
      > You can say that I am a concerned parent. Take care and thanks again
      > to both of you for all that you do for our kids. Best regards.

    • jim cowen
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
        Calling a K8 option racist is dishonest and misleading, although it serves those who utter it pretty well as a sensational claim that distracts from the facts.

        Look at the ludicrous argument. We can't give K8 to those elitist families in the hills, so lets instead spend $60 million on a new school there, while schools in the flatlands continue to crumble.

        That money is wasted, wasted, wasted. And don't pretend it is $60 million. I predict $114.6 million by the time it is done (unless legal challenges kill it first).

        Do we want to raise every school to the highest standard, or do we want to beat down every school to the lowest common denominator?

        The K8 option for solving the Portola issue would have
        -prevented the neighborhoold-against-neighborhood fight, which will have lasting and
        lingering effects on the people of El Cerrito
        -given every parent in El Cerrito three great options: 1. Middle School (at Adams or
        Lavonya Dejean), 2. K8 (at several of the local schools), 3. Middle School academy at El
        Cerrito HIgh school.
        -cost about $20 million, meaning at least one other school someplace could be rebuilt
        -had students out of the very dangerous Portola school within 6-8 months instead of 3-5
        years.
        -kept families in El Cerrito from leaving for Albany or private schools, thus increasing ADA
        for the district
        -set a model for using this option in other areas. The next step could be to implement the option in other areas, such as downtown Richmond, San Pablo, Hercules, and El Sobrante.

        If this whole problem had occured at Lavonya Dejean instead of Portola, and the issue was which downtown Richmond elementary to close, would anyone have called a K8 option racist and elitist??

        I am reminded of a time I helped a youth group serving dinner to 25 tables at a large function. When about 22 tables had been served, a man came to the kitchen loudly complaining that his table had not been served yet. I had to explain to him that it is impossible to serve every table at the same time. Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last, but eventually everyone will be fed.

        It seems to me that some folks in the K8 debate are so hell-bent on making sure El Cerrito doesnt get theirs first, that they would rather everyone starve.

        Jim Cowen

      • c slamon
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
          Since the issue of K-8's was such a prominent part of the last board
          meeting, I want to again state that I do not think K-8 is the
          direction that our school district should be taking, we simply cannot
          afford it. I agree with our school board members when they say that
          people aren't leaving our district for K-8's; they are leaving for
          GOOD middle schools (Albany, Berkeley, Orinda). We cannot get enough
          qualified math and science teachers right now to fill the positions at
          our middle schools and high schools. How are we going to be able to
          find enough qualified teachers to serve at the many elementary schools
          in our district if they are reconfigured to K-8's. Many kids will have
          no electives at all if they have to continue at elementary school
          through 8th grade. Then you have the case of equity; how is it fair
          to redistrict more students to DeJean which is already full (it has a
          capacity of 833 and currently has 848 students) and Helms (which has a
          capacity of 1,118 and currently has 929 students). These two campuses
          already house the largest middle school student populations. How is
          it fair to jam these campuses with even more students while El Cerrito
          and Kensington residents get nice small schools? Richmond and San
          Pablo residents want safe schools for their middle school students
          too. How is it fair to reconfigure Kensington to be a K-8 when that
          school already got millions of extra dollars in their reconstruction
          to the point that other Richmond schools got dropped off the list; and
          now they want even more, while Richmond schools still sit untouched.
          If we are going implement another K-8, then I call on this district to
          implement K-8 in Richmond first! At a school that has space and needs
          to be reconstructed! As I recall from the study that was done on K-8,
          it was a Richmond School (Grant I believe) that was recommended as the
          school that could be best reconfigured to a K-8 not Kensinton. It
          always seems that this tidbit of information gets left out when our
          school board member Dave Brown calls for the K-8 option. And it
          really bothers me that he tries to say that Richmond and San Pablo
          families also want K-8 but he never puts one of these flatland schools
          out in front when he calls for K-8, it's always at Kensington. Now
          that is what is NOT FAIR!

          Christina Slamon
          Richmond

          On Nov 9, 2007 9:31 AM, jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

          > Calling a K8 option racist is dishonest and misleading, although it serves
          > those who utter it pretty well as a sensational claim that distracts from
          > the facts.
          >
          > Look at the ludicrous argument. We can't give K8 to those elitist families
          > in the hills, so lets instead spend $60 million on a new school there, while
          > schools in the flatlands continue to crumble.
          >
          > That money is wasted, wasted, wasted. And don't pretend it is $60 million. I
          > predict $114.6 million by the time it is done (unless legal challenges kill
          > it first).
          >
          > Do we want to raise every school to the highest standard, or do we want to
          > beat down every school to the lowest common denominator?
          >
          > The K8 option for solving the Portola issue would have
          > -prevented the neighborhoold-against-neighborhood fight, which will have
          > lasting and
          > lingering effects on the people of El Cerrito
          > -given every parent in El Cerrito three great options: 1. Middle School (at
          > Adams or
          > Lavonya Dejean), 2. K8 (at several of the local schools), 3. Middle School
          > academy at El
          > Cerrito HIgh school.
          > -cost about $20 million, meaning at least one other school someplace could
          > be rebuilt
          > -had students out of the very dangerous Portola school within 6-8 months
          > instead of 3-5
          > years.
          > -kept families in El Cerrito from leaving for Albany or private schools,
          > thus increasing ADA
          > for the district
          > -set a model for using this option in other areas. The next step could be to
          > implement the option in other areas, such as downtown Richmond, San Pablo,
          > Hercules, and El Sobrante.
          >

          > If this whole problem had occured at Lavonya Dejean instead of Portola, and
          > the issue was which downtown Richmond elementary to close, would anyone have
          > called a K8 option racist and elitist??
          >

          > I am reminded of a time I helped a youth group serving dinner to 25 tables
          > at a large function. When about 22 tables had been served, a man came to the
          > kitchen loudly complaining that his table had not been served yet. I had to
          > explain to him that it is impossible to serve every table at the same time.
          > Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last, but eventually everyone
          > will be fed.
          >
          > It seems to me that some folks in the K8 debate are so hell-bent on making
          > sure El Cerrito doesnt get theirs first, that they would rather everyone
          > starve.
          >
          > Jim Cowen

          Christina Slamon
          phone: 510-559-8919
        • jim cowen
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
            CHristina
            You are asking for Richmond schools to get K8 first!. That is EXACTLY what the K8 study group recommended. In fact, it recommended a K8 in each area.

            But again, the discussion on the table now is what to do with Portola. And, as I said in my first post, some people are so blinded by the desire to make sure those hill kids dont get something first that they want to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator. SOMEONE has to get their dinner first, and SOMEONE has to get it last. If DeJean was the school that had to be closed and move, then the K8 option would be pushed there.

            I disagree with your repeat of the contention that people dont leave WCCUSD for other K8's, therefore they dont want K8. People leave WCCUSD for a better OPTION. The road to making WCCUSD middle schools as a great option is so long that it is insurmountable. But offering K8 as an OPTION would keep those students here. Dont be afraid of it; you can still send your student to a middle school if YOU choose.

            I want YOUR student to have the option of either K8 or a middle school. You want MY student to have only the option of middle school. Now THAT's not fair.

            And extra cost??? Using the K8 option in the Portola discussion would SAVE many tens of millions of dollars!!!!!! (And I will be the first to say use that money to rebuild a flat land school)

            Jim

            Christina Slamon
            phone: 510-559-8919

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
              Christina,
              You like many people have missed the entire point of the K8
              meetings. At least we posted our meeting dates and meeting
              minutes. Something I never saw the Portola Relocation Group post
              any minutes for the public to review.
              I as a K8 committee member only received a slap in the face from
              Ramsey-He kicked me off the podium and I filed a Brown Act Complaint.
              Each parent has his or her own reason for leaving the district. I
              would have stayed for K8, it was not a smaller school that I
              wanted. I wanted a safe environment for my child. Portola and
              Adams were seismically unsafe.
              I feel your remarks about Dave Brown are inaccurate. Here is an
              excerpt of K8 December 15, 2005 minutes after the surveys were being
              analyzed:

              DB (Dave Brown) said the First Wave schools with strong (60%+)
              support for K-8 schools were Castro, Dover, Ford, King and Nystrom.
              GB said she had talked with the principal at Castro, and that if
              their questions were 1) would teachers be multisubject-credentialed?
              2) Could they shape [curriculum?]? 3) Could they recruit teachers?
              If those were answered positively, they would support
              reconfiguration enthusiastically. DB said we needed to have school by
              school conversations, listen to issues and concerns,

              Christina what many of you on this Group do not understand is the
              majority of San Pablo and Richmond families don't go to school board
              meeting. They are unjustly taken advantage of by our School
              District.

              Dave Brown has made an effort to reach out to our community. He
              supported the CHILDREN with the High School Exit Exam. He may have
              failed, but he is the only board member I have seen to make an
              attempt to put OUR CHILDREN FIRST and at the risk of his own
              POLITICAL aspirations.

              Unfortunately Dave has been run off the playground with bullies such
              as Charles and Karen and may never be able to impact OUR CHILDREN in
              the way he desires.

              This is an opinion!

              San Pablo Resident
              Jill Wolkenfeld

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "c slamon" <cslamon@...> wrote:

> [...]
              Portola, and
              > > the issue was which downtown Richmond elementary to close, would
              anyone have
              > > called a K8 option racist and elitist??
              > >

              > > I am reminded of a time I helped a youth group serving dinner to
              25 tables
              > > at a large function. When about 22 tables had been served, a man
              came to the
              > > kitchen loudly complaining that his table had not been served
              yet. I had to
              > > explain to him that it is impossible to serve every table at the
              same time.
              > > Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last, but
              eventually everyone
              > > will be fed.
              > >
              > > It seems to me that some folks in the K8 debate are so hell-bent
              on making
              > > sure El Cerrito doesnt get theirs first, that they would rather

            • Linda
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 10, 2007
                FYI: There is information about K-8 posted here:
                http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/fangwoo@...

                Curriculum findings 15-Nov-2006
                K-8 research findings 15-Nov-2006
                K-8 Analysis by UC Berkeley 15-Nov-2006
                K-8 Proposal May 2006 15-Nov-2006
                May 2006 K-8 Proposal 15-Nov-2006
                Rand Corp Rpt - middle schools 1-May-2007
                New York Times - middle school 18-Jun-2007
                NY Times 2 middle school .doc 18-Jun-2007
                Time Mag article on MS and K-8 2-Jul-2007
                K8 powerpoint by UC Berkeley 2-Jul-2007
                Wall St Journal article 24-Aug-2007
                EC Journal K-8 editorial

                --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > Portola, and
                > > > the issue was which downtown Richmond elementary to close, would
                > anyone have
                > > > called a K8 option racist and elitist??
                > > >

                > > > I am reminded of a time I helped a youth group serving dinner to
                > 25 tables
                > > > at a large function. When about 22 tables had been served, a man
                > came to the
                > > > kitchen loudly complaining that his table had not been served
                > yet. I had to
                > > > explain to him that it is impossible to serve every table at the
                > same time.
                > > > Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last, but
                > eventually everyone
                > > > will be fed.
                > > >
                > > > It seems to me that some folks in the K8 debate are so hell-bent
                > on making
                > > > sure El Cerrito doesnt get theirs first, that they would rather

              • Tony Sustak
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                  Scottie,
                  You made a point about a person not being willing to sign her/his name to
                  postings on the teachers and community discussion groups. However, maybe the
                  person fears reprisal for publicly expressing her/his viewpoints. I'm not
                  offereing this as an excuse, only saying that this is a possibility for
                  someone's wanting anonymity.
                  As for Miles: I have heard from several persons, including teachers, that
                  she is uniformed on issues that affect our district and that she makes
                  statements at Board meetings that indicate she does not know what she is
                  talking about. In other words, she has not done her homework. If as you say
                  and I agree, "... people are willing to stand up for the students in this
                  district..." they must do the requisite research, study, and work to become
                  informed and knowledgeable about the issues affecting the children in our
                  District.

                  Anonymous letter writer to Diane and Mel, wrote about Miles," ...I just
                  think she is uniformed when it comes to our school district. It's been
                  pretty obvious that she's someone who votes as she's told without an
                  understanding behind her votes." I don't know who may be telling her how to
                  vote, I do know that she seems to be a conduit for the views of the UTR
                  leadership. Why do I say this? At the Board discussion meeting held before
                  the regularly scheduled meeting last Wednesday, 11/7, Miles made comments
                  linking union (UTR) contract negotiations and parcel tax discussions. I got
                  the impression that she was suggesting that support for the parcel tax be
                  contingent on agreement with teachers' contract demands. Diane Brown and I
                  spoke against this. Miles said later in the meeting that this was not what
                  she meant. What did she mean to say? Why say anything at all that could be
                  interpreted as linking teachers' support for the parcel tax with their
                  contract negotiations? After the meeting, a parent told me that UTR (Gail
                  Mendes) wants to put teachers' salaries on a parcel tax. A UTR EBoard member
                  has told me that teachers' salaries could be an added item to be funded from
                  the new proposed parcel tax. I am completely against this idea and will vote
                  against it if it comes before the UTR Rep Council.I think that Miles is
                  floating the balloons about the parcel tax and teacher contract negotiations
                  on behalf of the UTR (Gail Mendes) leadership. After Miles was elected to
                  the WCCUSD Board, Gail took her around to schools during lunch (UTR provided
                  lunch for the teachers) and held meetings to introduce Miles. I attended the
                  Gail - Miles meeting at Kennedy. During the meeting, Gail made the point
                  that we (teachers) missed gaining a school board majority by 66 votes ( the
                  vote difference between Ramsey and Medrano).

                  Miles received the second highest number of votes in the last school board
                  election. She owes it to the people who voted for her and all of the
                  children in the district to be an informed, competent representative for
                  them. We should expect her to live up to her mandate from the voters, not
                  UTR.

                  Margaret Browne
                  _____

                  From: Diamel@... <mailto:Diamel%40aol.com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                    --Tony:

                    Thanks for your response and information. I must say Miles would not have been my choice for the board, but as we all know, "When Unions talk, the best candidate doesn't alway win", therefore, I tend to look closely at who is supporting a particular candidate and why. Ms. Miles, I must say, has had me puzzled, but I would not say she is a racist, because of my definition of racist and racism. Not always informed, or listing to the wrong voices, that I would say, but if this is true, she can be taught, therefore, it is important for us to speak out against things she say, and "just" maybe she will learn and if she doesn't we can have the last word at the polls.

                    I have take a great deal of heat in this district for some of my strong statements, but like you, I feel it is in the best interest of the children. Therefore, we (parents and teachers) have a moral obligation to stand up for the children, because they are the future; and if we don't stand for them, how can we expect them to stand for us. I know this district have some great teachers, staff and parents, therefore, we must speak to each other, openly and honestly in order to effect change for the students. But to make statements and hide our names only allow others to win. I have witness many teachers and staff put their names on the line for our children, therefore, if they can do so, and risk losing their jobs, as parent, we most certainly should do the same.

                    Again thanks for the information, it is very useful.

                    From: "Tony Sustak" <mtsustak@...>

> [...]
                    > against it if it comes before the UTR Rep Council.I think that Miles is
                    > floating the balloons about the parcel tax and teacher contract negotiations
                    > on behalf of the UTR (Gail Mendes) leadership. After Miles was elected to
                    > the WCCUSD Board, Gail took her around to schools during lunch (UTR provided
                    > lunch for the teachers) and held meetings to introduce Miles. I attended the
                    > Gail - Miles meeting at Kennedy. During the meeting, Gail made the point
                    > that we (teachers) missed gaining a school board majority by 66 votes ( the
                    > vote difference between Ramsey and Medrano).
                    >
                    > Miles received the second highest number of votes in the last school board
                    > election. She owes it to the people who voted for her and all of the
                    > children in the district to be an informed, competent representative for
                    > them. We should expect her to live up to her mandate from the voters, not

                  • gregorychang
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                      Jim, thanks for your comments. What you said about giving students
                      and parents a choice resonated with me. It is apparent that there are
                      strong advocates for both K-8 schools and middle schools. Ideally,
                      people should be able to choose whether K-8 or Middle School works
                      for them. Yet at the same time, the school district would benefit
                      from certain efficiencies if the grade configurations were universal
                      across the district. Is it fair to say that flexibility would cost
                      more money (in terms of operations, not capital cost for new
                      buildings)?

                      I've heard a lot of concern about the potential negative impacts on
                      7th and 8th graders from a jr.-sr. high school configuration. Do K-8
                      advocates also face skepticism about the impacts of having 1st and
                      2nd graders together with 8th graders?

                      Also, the thing that scared me about your comments was the statement
                      that ``The road to making WCCUSD middle schools as a great option is
                      so long that it is insurmountable.'' Could you elaborate on why you
                      think this is such a difficult task?

                      Yours, Greg

                      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      Portola, and
                      > > the issue was which downtown Richmond elementary to close, would
                      anyone have
                      > > called a K8 option racist and elitist??
                      > >

                      > > I am reminded of a time I helped a youth group serving dinner to
                      25 tables
                      > > at a large function. When about 22 tables had been served, a man
                      came to the
                      > > kitchen loudly complaining that his table had not been served
                      yet. I had to
                      > > explain to him that it is impossible to serve every table at the
                      same time.
                      > > Someone has to be first, and someone has to be last, but
                      eventually everyone
                      > > will be fed.
                      > >
                      > > It seems to me that some folks in the K8 debate are so hell-bent
                      on making
                      > > sure El Cerrito doesnt get theirs first, that they would rather

                    • Tony Sustak
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                        Scottie,
                        The response was from me, Margaret Browne, not Tony, my husband. Anyway,
                        thank you for your comments. You have always been in the forefront ,
                        fighting for the children in the District. Keep it up! Again, thanks.
                        Margaret Browne

                        _____

                        From: "Tony Sustak" <mtsustak@sonic. <mailto:mtsustak%40sonic.net> net>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 12, 2007
                          --Margaret:

                          Sorry, that's what happen when you look at the name on top. But it still apply, particularly to you, since I know you have stood out front for a long time.

                          From: "Tony Sustak" <mtsustak@...>