Re: Interesting Find-victim of sloppy administrators

  • rebecca494
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
      Jill, sorry about the name problem. I frequently get called Roberta.
      Thank you on behalf of all for your understanding attitude. I know
      we all want to assist the students. Also, thank you for taking note of
      my postings on the Wire. I am sure Betty Buginas will be happy.
      Jill, we will meet surely. Backchannel me and we can arrange it.
      Believe me I know how hard you work to educate your kids, because that
      is how hard I worked to get my kids a K-12 education. I think we can
      all agree that that is our agenda here.

      Rebecca

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
        Jill,
        I guess I'm missing something here because I really don't understand why
        you posted this in the first place. Have we had sloppy administrators?
        Sure, and that's one reason there's been such a change in principals at
        many schools over the past few years - including Richmond High. Are you
        saying board members shouldn't take a personal interest in students,
        especially one who apparently wasn't treated fairly by former
        administrators? Board members take action all the time for particular
        students if someone in the district has screwed up. I think that's
        appropriate.

        As to where board members send their kids for school, I'm not sure what
        that has to do with this discussion, but 3 have been sending their kids
        to their neighborhood public schools. Miles didn't send her son to a
        Richmond school and has already explained her decision. Brown's daugther
        isn't school age yet.

        Cathy

      • imcookielady
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 12, 2007
          Rebecca:
          I think you meant to direct this to Jill, not Jennifer (me). As for
          other comments on this situation, I agree that his name should not
          have been used in the letter, regardless of his age, as the issue
          occurred when he was a minor. Second it does not matter whether or
          not the board sends their kids to wccusd schools because they don't
          attend Grant, Ford, Downer, etc., they attend El Cerrito schools and
          we all know there is a big difference within this district between
          schools. Third for Jill, you go girl, I am happy to see that someone
          will not shut up regardless of the intimidation tactics that this
          district is famous for. My health could not take fighting for my
          kids rights to a free and appropriate education and I had to move.
          There are times that I do wish I was still there fighting for my kids
          and others, but losing over 20 lbs to stress was not healthy and
          affected my kids too!! Had I stayed, though, I would now be
          embroiled in a serious lawsuit due to the 4 (yes that's four) three
          inch notebooks that I have accumulated with violations, complaints,
          non-compliance and outright nasty (possible criminal) actions of
          admistrators. I have posted previously as "ca_roadrunner" on this
          list and Scottie can verify my struggles within this district and
          with administrators. Just a small clue: 1) a medical assessment
          form filled out by a teacher, taken by a principal who claimed the
          teacher didn't have time to fill it out, and said principal
          completely whited it out(I got it back and still have it), 2) my
          child's records from k-8 not making it to high school level and
          completely disappearing, 3) my child's personal clarinet disappearing
          from a LOCKED music cabinet, 4) the US Dept of Ed office for Civil
          Rights finding the district in violation of my child's rights as a
          disabled child. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, so to
          speak. I had an attorney, pro bono, before I moved who actually was
          excited about suing the district with the evidence I presented her as
          it was not only very telling, but complete and verifiable!! I chose
          to move for my kids best interest. My disabled daughter now has
          access to vocational programs suited to her. She went from failing
          everything and non-compliance of an IEP to A's and B's (with tutoring
          help from the school) and an IEP that is not only followed, but
          offers more than she was given in wccusd without a fight. She may
          not graduate until she is 20(she is 19 now), but she is on her way to
          a 2 year vet tech college and a $30,000 a year job and self-
          sufficiency. Scottie, Jill, Kevin and any others I failed to
          mention, keep fighting the good fight. You will eventually be
          rewarded, if not here at least in the afterlife, as you all deserve
          it. Thank-you all for your efforts and God Bless.

          Jennifer Felix

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 12, 2007
            Is he still a student or is he a former student? How
            long should a graduate be considered protected by the
            confidentiality clause? If a former student should
            run for the school board, would information of their
            school days be off limits, even if already mentioned
            by other sources?

            Just food for thought.

            Eduardo

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 14, 2007
              Dear Cathy,
              I am sorry I have not had a chance to respond to your question. The
              reason I posted it was that I found it interesting. Unlike you, I
              do not have personal friends or acquaintances on the school board.
              I don't get the newspaper, so I google WCCUSD on occasion to try and
              find out what our district is doing.
              I have gathered a wealth of knowledge by doing so. The California
              Department of Education is my best reliable resource. I have found
              many contradictions as to what WCCUSD reports to the public.
              Regarding sloppy administrators I have personal experienced on
              several occasions. Unfortunately I did not keep a journal or notes
              on all the problems I had experienced.
              I am not saying that Board members should not take a personal
              interest in our students. On the contrary, I wish my voice had been
              heard regarding my child! He deserves SAFE, HIGH PERFORMING
              SECONDARY SCHOOLS.
              I was directed to Crespi since Adams was in Program Improvement and
              I did not want to send him to a PI school. I was not offered
              additional options or discussion. I visited Crespi this School and
              did not feel it be a good fit for my son.
              So as you know, I felt it was in my son's best interest to transfer
              him out of WCCUSD.
              I am guessing you have talked to Madeline or Charles and have the
              knowledge weather or not that Email was valid.
              If it was valid in the context that it was written, it is possible
              they violated Brown Act Laws. The so-called Email implied it was
              the entire boards decision.
              I don't think I have answered your questions and perhaps am adding
              to your questions. Cathy you have done many good things for the
              Children of WCCUSD and I will continue to respect you. I don't know
              how to put into words the frustration I have felt and feel.
              All I can tell you and others is it is no fun standing on the
              outside and looking inÂ….
              I would like to be part of the solution, but my community does not
              have the tools to stand up and fight for their rights, let alone
              even know what their rights are.
              I keep worrying that WCCUSD will eventually be forced to divide and
              El Cerrito, Hercules and Pinole will come out of it just fine, while
              the rest of us will get the Left Overs. Which according to my
              husband the name El Sobrante means "The Left Over"
              So until El Cerrito, Hercules and Pinole want to help El Sobrante,
              Richmond and San Pablo we will never be a Unified School District.

              Jill

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 14, 2007
                Eduardo -

                Here are my thoughts on this topic and I gave it quite some thought
                back in the days when I was a classroom volunteer and also when I was
                on the SSC at ECHS. I don't think confidential information obtained
                about a student when one is working at a school site should ever be
                released to the public. If that student, as an adult, wants to release
                it because he or she is running for office i.e. "...as a high school
                student I was a habitual truant," then so be it.

                As to your case a former high school student running for office, who
                committed an infraction in high school, say he or she vandalized the
                flag pole, and someone finds out when that former student is running
                for office. Possibly an unscrupulous person might leak it such as an
                opponent, but I ask you would a guidance counselor release that
                information about that student? I don't think so.

                Now lets say a student is accused of a sexual assault. What are the
                rules legally regarding release of that information? There is a
                standard and I think that standard should apply. Otherwise gossip and
                innuendo rule the day.

                Now let us say that the student was Prom King in his senior year. This
                is public information and would be in the year book if not in the
                local paper.

                We know that when crimes are committed by juveniles their names are
                withheld. I think there is already enough standards on this issue to
                guide us in our thinking about this issue.

                As to the issue of the exit exam and its impact on student's lives. I
                do not believe that this information should be released by name; who
                has passed and who has not. If a student is having difficulty with
                this and has support he or she should be allowed confidentiality to
                work it out.

                And, finally I would like to close with this comment, that I am in
                support of a certificate of completion so that students are not
                stigmatized, but I am also in favor of an exit exam. I think every
                student who completes K-12 should be allowed the recognition that that
                accomplishment deserves, that is to cross the stage and receive a
                certificate of completion whether they pass the exit exam or not.
                Sitting in classrooms for 13 years and completing all the units that
                constitute graduating, is deserving of recognition and not
                stigmatization. There are many levels of accomplishment. Awarding a
                Certificate of Completion does not diminish the accomplishments of an
                Honor's Student.

                Rebecca Hazlewood

                --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>
                wrote:

                > Is he still a student or is he a former student? How
                > long should a graduate be considered protected by the
                > confidentiality clause? If a former student should
                > run for the school board, would information of their
                > school days be off limits, even if already mentioned
                > by other sources?
                >
                > Just food for thought.
                >
                > Eduardo
                > --- sunsetjill <sunsetjill@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks Rebecca!
                > > I'm still pondering my thoughts about the
                > > confidentiality. I copied
                > > and pasted something that I did not write. Perhaps
                > > that is where my
                > > error occurred.
                > > I have to be especially careful as to your comments
                > > because I do
                > > work for the Public School System and deal with many
                > > confidential
                > > matters.
                > > Sorry for venting on you. I actually appreciate
                > > reading many things
                > > that you have written. Much of what you have wrote
                > > which is
                > > archived in the El Cerrito Journal has helped
                > > educate me on matters
                > > of Public Interest regarding WCCUSD.
                > > Oh and by the way, my name is Jill. Hopefully one
                > > day we can put a
                > > face with the name!
                > >
                > > Jill
                > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "rebecca494"
                > > <hrebwrite@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Jennifer - my reference was to the Student Eli. I
                > > feel his name
                > > should
                > > > not have been mentioned. Just because a student is
                > > 18 does not mean
                > > > that he or she is not exempt from confidentiality.
                > >

                > > > Please do not take my criticisms as an indictment.
                > > We can all learn
                > > > from our postings. I believe that this young man
                > > deserves
                > > > confidentiality. Lord knows, if he achieves
                > > anything at all, the
                > > press
                > > > will be all over him.
                > > >
                > > > Jennifer, please accept my comments in the spirit
> [...]
                story. Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 15, 2007
                  --Eduardo:

                  I agree with Rebecca. Any information that is not part of the public record should not be given out regarding a student or former student without their permission.

                  From: "rebecca494" <hrebwrite@...>