Budget Cuts-Email to Sheri Gamba

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      Division Head: Sheri Gamba, Associate Superintendent for Business
      Services

      Dear Sheri,

      Welcome to WCCUSD! It was nice to meet you at the CBAC meeting on
      September 27, 2007. Unfortunately I was extremely tired and had a
      difficult time following the agenda. I mentioned at the end in
      Public Comment that I have a difficult time following the Grant
      Trail and matching the money to the California Department of
      Education WEB site. The reason I was concerned is a few years back,
      I decided to call some school sites about programs they were
      supposedly running. I found out that some schools had no programs
      in place, yet they were being allocated thousands of dollars to fund
      these programs.

      In the August 15, 2007 Board Packet I noticed almost three hundred
      thousand dollars going to the City of El Cerrito for ASES Grants
      21st Century Grants. I was concerned because so much violence was
      going on in the streets of Richmond and wanted to see how much was
      being allocated to them. I gave my board packet to John Gioia
      (Contra Costa County Board Supervisor) at the El Sobrante stroll as
      his wife Jennifer had told me she was involved in the grant writing
      process and offered to look at it. I have not heard back as of yet.

      What I failed to mention in public comment was the BIG PICTURE! It
      appears that WCCUSD is moving in a direction to close schools. We
      previously went thru this process and it only angers the public and
      turns into a political disaster. Of course this is my opinion.

      What I would like from you is to break the BIG PICTURE down into
      finances that most of us can understand. I would like to see a
      report that shows the allocation to each School. I don't truly
      understand the entire process, but believe I can ask a SSC if I have
      more questions.
      I then would like a report that shows the break down of expense for
      the entire district office employees. As shown on the following
      link:
      http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/directory/districtoffices.shtml
      I'd like a brief description of what each employee does and what
      their salary is.
      If WCCUSD needs to make budget cuts and discuss this with the
      public, we are entitled to know this before we begin the process of
      closing schools as the only solution.

      I look forward to hearing back from you!

      Jill Wolkenfeld