Schools in disarray

  • cthomasriverside
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Good evening! I was told that your group would be interested in some
      of the latest events taking place in our schools. My name is Christi
      Thomas, and I currently teach a 4/5 combination at Riverside
      Elementary school in San Pablo. We were just told today that we are
      short 40 students in our enrollment and therefore we will be losing
      two more teachers at our school. For those of you who are not
      familiar with the school, we have already lost one upper grade
      position this year. Our upper grades currently consist of the
      following: a 3/4 split, a 4/5 split, a 5/6 split and one straight 6.
      If we cut the two lowest seniority teachers (myself and another),
      then we are cutting the 4/5 teacher and the 5/6 teacher! This alone
      would be terrible. The kids are going through enough right now with
      larger classes and all of the construction (they have to eat lunch in
      the classroom, the grass field is off limits, and all of the
      tetherball poles, basketball hoops, and volleyball poles have been
      sawed off). I also do not know how they will have their new literacy
      program work if they continue to cut teachers.
      The two teachers they will be cutting are the only upper grade
      teachers at our school that have been trained in the Open Court
      language program. Riverside has already cut one of our
      Intervention/High Point classes, if they cut another teacher or two,
      they are setting our children up to fail.
      I hope that some parents/community members are able to help us out
      with this current problem.
      Thank you for your continued support!
      Christi Thomas
    • Aukena@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        Christi,
        Thanks for letting us know. Yes - this is terrible. You've come to the right
        place for support and maybe some ideas.
        Amy