Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of business ...

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
      Charley,

      Where did you get the $254,000 WCCUSD salary?

      In 2000 the base salary was about $116,000 for the Super. Even with
      adjustments for inflation $254,000 seems a little high unless that includes
      all the goodies the are added on which should not be factored into the
      formula.

      Kevin

      http://newlivehotmail.com
    • rebecca494
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
        Regarding Fred Stewart's original salary this is a quote from the West
        County Times, June 14, 1991.

        "Richmond Unified School District's top administrator and the state
        Department of Education have hammered out a new contract.
        Fred Stewart, who had been paid hourly, now will make $10,318 a month
        plus benefits worth $1,825 a month. He is paid by the school district
        not the state..."

        The article goes on to say that the state decided to put Dr. Stewart
        on a monthly salary after he racked up hourly wages in March, 1991 of
        $12,372 and $17,840 in April (paid by a bankrupt school district).

        Fred Stewart's yearly salary then was $123,816 a year plus $21,900 in
        benefits.

        According to the formula provided by Charley our current Trustee,
        should she be full time, would make $201,429 per year. Dr. Stewart
        received as part of his benefit package, according to the article, a
        retirement annuity, a car allowance, and life, health and disability
        insurance. No mention is made in the state formula Charley provided of
        benefits for our current Trustee.

        Rebecca Hazlewood

      • Ralph Bedwell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
          Kevin,

          According to the education reporter for the CCTimes, Superintendent
          Harter "signed a 4-year contract in April 2006 giving him $225,000 in
          salary plus a $50,000 stipend for housing and car allowance."

          From my perspective, that's a staggering annual sum.

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
            She's a contractor, not an employee, so no benefits.

            Charley Cowens

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
              I took the Trustee's monthly payment and her description of the formula and
              backed out from there. I remembered from reading in the Times some time ago
              that the salary was a big hike from Gloria's $190K to something like $240K
              or $250K, so the numbers made sense to me.

              Charley Cowens

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007
                Superintendents make crazy money all over the country these days.
                While Mr. Harter seems like a good Superintendent -- certainly a huge
                upgrade over our prior situation, which cost us just as much! -- I
                have a hard time seeing how that kind of money is justified here or
                anywhere.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                  Ralph,
                  In today's picture, where would you find a CEO who would be willling to be responsible for 3500+ employees, 60+ facilities, 31,000 children, and be responsible to the Feds, State, County and five local governments for $100K, $200K? You need to put it into perspective. If we want a leader to move us forward, we need to pay for it. Or we get what we pay for. Been down that road and not willing to go back.
                  Tammy