Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of business ...

  • rebecca494
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
      Good start Kevin for those who want the facts. When Fred Stewart was
      an active Trustee early to somewhere in the mid 90's his salary was
      in excess of $90K. But haven't heard any facts on the State Trustees
      salary in years. Had heard from Senator Perata's Education staffer
      around 4 years ago or so that Fred Stewart was and had been in
      semi-retirement, but no salary figures were given.

      Rebecca

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...> wrote:

      > In the year 2000 May 8, Board Study Session Report Fred Stewart was
      making
      > $54,000. That did not include, benefits, secretarial support, office
      > support, transportation, lodging, etc. The Superintendent and Trustee's
      > budget was co-mingled so about the only starting point would be the
      basic
      > salary.
      >
      > Kevin
      >

      > >From: "rebecca494" <hrebwrite@...>
      > >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc.
      superintendent of

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
        For those that wonder why I picked the 2000 report, that was the first thing
        I laid my hands on when I opened the file cabinet, that had any figures. I
        do not dig deep much these days as we now have a transparent Superintendent
        who is willing to get the information to us.

        Just ask him at the next Board meeting for the figures.

        Kevin

        http://liveearth.msn.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
          The current salary for the State Trustee is $67,140/year with an expense
          allowance of $4,800/year all paid out of our general unrestricted funds. The
          salary is calculated based on a formula determined by the State
          Superintendent:

          state_trustee_salary = state_trustee_time_as_FTE * (.8 *
          local_superintendent_salary)

          The State Trustee works 33% time or .33 FTE. The WCCUSD Superintendent's
          salary is about $254,000/year.

          Charley Cowens

          On 7/3/07, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:

          > For those that wonder why I picked the 2000 report, that was the first
          > thing
          > I laid my hands on when I opened the file cabinet, that had any figures. I
          > do not dig deep much these days as we now have a transparent
          > Superintendent
          > who is willing to get the information to us.
          >
          > Just ask him at the next Board meeting for the figures.
          >
          > Kevin
          >

          > >From: "rebecca494" <hrebwrite@...>
          > >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of
          > >business ...
          > >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 04:46:30 -0000
          > >
          > >Good start Kevin for those who want the facts. When Fred Stewart was
          > >an active Trustee early to somewhere in the mid 90's his salary was
          > >in excess of $90K. But haven't heard any facts on the State Trustees
          > >salary in years. Had heard from Senator Perata's Education staffer
          > >around 4 years ago or so that Fred Stewart was and had been in
          > >semi-retirement, but no salary figures were given.
          > >
          > >Rebecca
          > >

          > >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > In the year 2000 May 8, Board Study Session Report Fred Stewart was
          > >making
          > > > $54,000. That did not include, benefits, secretarial support, office
          > > > support, transportation, lodging, etc. The Superintendent and
          > Trustee's
          > > > budget was co-mingled so about the only starting point would be the
          > >basic
          > > > salary.
          > > >
          > > > Kevin

          > >superintendent of

          > > > Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
          > > > http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

        • Ralph Bedwell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
            Thanks, Charley. Does she receive full benefits? What other
            perquisites, if any, are involved?

            Ralph

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
              Charley,

              Where did you get the $254,000 WCCUSD salary?

              In 2000 the base salary was about $116,000 for the Super. Even with
              adjustments for inflation $254,000 seems a little high unless that includes
              all the goodies the are added on which should not be factored into the
              formula.

              Kevin

              http://newlivehotmail.com
            • rebecca494
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                Regarding Fred Stewart's original salary this is a quote from the West
                County Times, June 14, 1991.

                "Richmond Unified School District's top administrator and the state
                Department of Education have hammered out a new contract.
                Fred Stewart, who had been paid hourly, now will make $10,318 a month
                plus benefits worth $1,825 a month. He is paid by the school district
                not the state..."

                The article goes on to say that the state decided to put Dr. Stewart
                on a monthly salary after he racked up hourly wages in March, 1991 of
                $12,372 and $17,840 in April (paid by a bankrupt school district).

                Fred Stewart's yearly salary then was $123,816 a year plus $21,900 in
                benefits.

                According to the formula provided by Charley our current Trustee,
                should she be full time, would make $201,429 per year. Dr. Stewart
                received as part of his benefit package, according to the article, a
                retirement annuity, a car allowance, and life, health and disability
                insurance. No mention is made in the state formula Charley provided of
                benefits for our current Trustee.

                Rebecca Hazlewood

              • Ralph Bedwell
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                  Kevin,

                  According to the education reporter for the CCTimes, Superintendent
                  Harter "signed a 4-year contract in April 2006 giving him $225,000 in
                  salary plus a $50,000 stipend for housing and car allowance."

                  From my perspective, that's a staggering annual sum.

                  Ralph

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                    She's a contractor, not an employee, so no benefits.

                    Charley Cowens

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                      I took the Trustee's monthly payment and her description of the formula and
                      backed out from there. I remembered from reading in the Times some time ago
                      that the salary was a big hike from Gloria's $190K to something like $240K
                      or $250K, so the numbers made sense to me.

                      Charley Cowens

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007
                        Superintendents make crazy money all over the country these days.
                        While Mr. Harter seems like a good Superintendent -- certainly a huge
                        upgrade over our prior situation, which cost us just as much! -- I
                        have a hard time seeing how that kind of money is justified here or
                        anywhere.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                          Ralph,
                          In today's picture, where would you find a CEO who would be willling to be responsible for 3500+ employees, 60+ facilities, 31,000 children, and be responsible to the Feds, State, County and five local governments for $100K, $200K? You need to put it into perspective. If we want a leader to move us forward, we need to pay for it. Or we get what we pay for. Been down that road and not willing to go back.
                          Tammy