Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of business ...

  • playeredu@cs.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
      No, Dr. Stewart made $36,000 per year so I suspect hers is in same
      Ballpark. </HTML>
    • rebecca494
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
        With all due respect to former Board member Pat Player I would not
        make the below assumption. I think it would be best for interested
        persons to get the actual salary for the new Trustee from the
        district. I believe that Fred Stewart was on semi retirement status
        for sometime, hence his low salary.

        Rebecca Hazlewood

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
          In the year 2000 May 8, Board Study Session Report Fred Stewart was making
          $54,000. That did not include, benefits, secretarial support, office
          support, transportation, lodging, etc. The Superintendent and Trustee's
          budget was co-mingled so about the only starting point would be the basic
          salary.

          Kevin

          >From: "rebecca494" <hrebwrite@...>
          >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of
          >business ...
          >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 03:23:27 -0000
          >
          >With all due respect to former Board member Pat Player I would not
          >make the below assumption. I think it would be best for interested
          >persons to get the actual salary for the new Trustee from the
          >district. I believe that Fred Stewart was on semi retirement status
          >for sometime, hence his low salary.
          >
          >Rebecca Hazlewood
          >

          >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, playeredu@... wrote:
          > >
          > > No, Dr. Stewart made $36,000 per year so I suspect hers is
          >in same
          > > Ballpark. </HTML>

          Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!�
          http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1
        • rebecca494
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2007
            Good start Kevin for those who want the facts. When Fred Stewart was
            an active Trustee early to somewhere in the mid 90's his salary was
            in excess of $90K. But haven't heard any facts on the State Trustees
            salary in years. Had heard from Senator Perata's Education staffer
            around 4 years ago or so that Fred Stewart was and had been in
            semi-retirement, but no salary figures were given.

            Rebecca

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 3, 2007
              For those that wonder why I picked the 2000 report, that was the first thing
              I laid my hands on when I opened the file cabinet, that had any figures. I
              do not dig deep much these days as we now have a transparent Superintendent
              who is willing to get the information to us.

              Just ask him at the next Board meeting for the figures.

              Kevin

              http://liveearth.msn.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5, 2007
                The current salary for the State Trustee is $67,140/year with an expense
                allowance of $4,800/year all paid out of our general unrestricted funds. The
                salary is calculated based on a formula determined by the State
                Superintendent:

                state_trustee_salary = state_trustee_time_as_FTE * (.8 *
                local_superintendent_salary)

                The State Trustee works 33% time or .33 FTE. The WCCUSD Superintendent's
                salary is about $254,000/year.

                Charley Cowens

                On 7/3/07, Kevin Rivard <kfrivard@...> wrote:

                > For those that wonder why I picked the 2000 report, that was the first
                > thing
                > I laid my hands on when I opened the file cabinet, that had any figures. I
                > do not dig deep much these days as we now have a transparent
                > Superintendent
                > who is willing to get the information to us.
                >
                > Just ask him at the next Board meeting for the figures.
                >
                > Kevin
                >

                > >From: "rebecca494" <hrebwrite@...>
                > >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: state trustee and new assoc. superintendent of
                > >business ...
                > >Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 04:46:30 -0000
                > >
                > >Good start Kevin for those who want the facts. When Fred Stewart was
                > >an active Trustee early to somewhere in the mid 90's his salary was
                > >in excess of $90K. But haven't heard any facts on the State Trustees
                > >salary in years. Had heard from Senator Perata's Education staffer
                > >around 4 years ago or so that Fred Stewart was and had been in
                > >semi-retirement, but no salary figures were given.
                > >
                > >Rebecca
                > >

                > >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > In the year 2000 May 8, Board Study Session Report Fred Stewart was
                > >making
                > > > $54,000. That did not include, benefits, secretarial support, office
                > > > support, transportation, lodging, etc. The Superintendent and
                > Trustee's
                > > > budget was co-mingled so about the only starting point would be the
                > >basic
                > > > salary.
                > > >
                > > > Kevin

                > >superintendent of

                > > > Need a brain boost? Recharge with a stimulating game. Play now!
                > > > http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=club_hotmailtextlink1

              • Ralph Bedwell
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Thanks, Charley. Does she receive full benefits? What other
                  perquisites, if any, are involved?

                  Ralph

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Charley,

                    Where did you get the $254,000 WCCUSD salary?

                    In 2000 the base salary was about $116,000 for the Super. Even with
                    adjustments for inflation $254,000 seems a little high unless that includes
                    all the goodies the are added on which should not be factored into the
                    formula.

                    Kevin

                    http://newlivehotmail.com
                  • rebecca494
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 6, 2007
                      Regarding Fred Stewart's original salary this is a quote from the West
                      County Times, June 14, 1991.

                      "Richmond Unified School District's top administrator and the state
                      Department of Education have hammered out a new contract.
                      Fred Stewart, who had been paid hourly, now will make $10,318 a month
                      plus benefits worth $1,825 a month. He is paid by the school district
                      not the state..."

                      The article goes on to say that the state decided to put Dr. Stewart
                      on a monthly salary after he racked up hourly wages in March, 1991 of
                      $12,372 and $17,840 in April (paid by a bankrupt school district).

                      Fred Stewart's yearly salary then was $123,816 a year plus $21,900 in
                      benefits.

                      According to the formula provided by Charley our current Trustee,
                      should she be full time, would make $201,429 per year. Dr. Stewart
                      received as part of his benefit package, according to the article, a
                      retirement annuity, a car allowance, and life, health and disability
                      insurance. No mention is made in the state formula Charley provided of
                      benefits for our current Trustee.

                      Rebecca Hazlewood

                    • Ralph Bedwell
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                        Kevin,

                        According to the education reporter for the CCTimes, Superintendent
                        Harter "signed a 4-year contract in April 2006 giving him $225,000 in
                        salary plus a $50,000 stipend for housing and car allowance."

                        From my perspective, that's a staggering annual sum.

                        Ralph

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                          She's a contractor, not an employee, so no benefits.

                          Charley Cowens

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 9, 2007
                            I took the Trustee's monthly payment and her description of the formula and
                            backed out from there. I remembered from reading in the Times some time ago
                            that the salary was a big hike from Gloria's $190K to something like $240K
                            or $250K, so the numbers made sense to me.

                            Charley Cowens

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 10, 2007
                              Superintendents make crazy money all over the country these days.
                              While Mr. Harter seems like a good Superintendent -- certainly a huge
                              upgrade over our prior situation, which cost us just as much! -- I
                              have a hard time seeing how that kind of money is justified here or
                              anywhere.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 11, 2007
                                Ralph,
                                In today's picture, where would you find a CEO who would be willling to be responsible for 3500+ employees, 60+ facilities, 31,000 children, and be responsible to the Feds, State, County and five local governments for $100K, $200K? You need to put it into perspective. If we want a leader to move us forward, we need to pay for it. Or we get what we pay for. Been down that road and not willing to go back.
                                Tammy