State Trustee

  • Rebecca Hazlewood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2007
      This is my take on the new State Trustee.

      For whatever reason, the Department of Education has decided that they need to oversee the district's finances. It may have something to do with the out of control bond spending; the threats by the Fairmont parents and lack of district solutions to that problem; the lack of planning in the bond program as a whole, including continuing findings of additional seismic problems that were overlooked because of poor planning; the declining enrollment; the parcel taxes; or someone they hate is on the Board or on staff; whatever. It could be any number of things.

      But, once the State Trustee assumes interest and control that is a significant event and must be addressed. It is not business as usual. For the last 10 plus years the State was okay with what was going on in this school district. But something has changed.

      I think that is the salient fact.

      Rebecca Hazlewood