Seismic Safety of WCCUSD Schools???

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2007
      How do we know if WCCUSD schools are seismically safe or not?

      Excerpt:
      EL CERRITO SCHOOL SITES' SAFETY QUESTIONED
      By Kimberly S. Wetzel, Contra Costa Times, Walnut Creek, Calif.
      Posted on: Monday, 6 November 2006, 09:00 CST

      Nov. 6--West Contra Costa Unified School District officials are looking into whether
      children at Cameron Elementary, an early intervention school, are safe in light of new
      information showing that an earthquake could leave the El Cerrito school crumbling under
      seismic pressure.

      District engineering officer Bill Savidge said staff and geotechnical contractors are
      currently looking at whether geotechnical surveys should be conducted at the site to
      determine if it is structurally sound.

      "It appears that there's a historic landslide that toes off the site, around the corner,"
      Savidge said. "I would imagine that they would look at the school and do additional (tests)
      just to be safe."

      According to an El Cerrito building services map showing geologic hazards throughout the
      city, Cameron School, like Portola Middle School, appears to sit atop land that has a
      history of landslides and could move or collapse if an earthquake shakes the area.

      Savidge said no upgrades have been performed on the school, built in 1951, and a
      geotechnical survey wasn't done before because there are no plans to rebuild the campus.

      "It wasn't overlooked, it just wasn't done," Savidge said. "We didn't do any surveys for the
      site because the school actually was not scheduled for reconstruction or modernization
      under the bond program. So it wasn't on our radar."

      Gretchen Borg, chairwoman of the district's Community Advisory Committee on Special
      Education, said she feels "sickened" that Cameron appears to be unsafe.

      "The building itself is kind of hazardous on its own," Borg said, noting the glass ceiling
      and unsecured bookshelves lining flimsy portable walls... (link below to rest of article)

      http://www.redorbit.com/news/education/720174/
      el_cerrito_school_sites_safety_questioned/index.html