Re: West County teachers plan strike vote

  • Francie
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
      Thanks for the early link to the article, Ralph. Without passage of the
      parcel tax this summer, there will be no secondary counselors, no
      library services and no textbook services in 2009-2010.

      Since UTR is supposed to represent the counselors and librarians, it
      would have been nice if Gail gave us some notice that she decided to
      pull support for the parcel tax. Does anyone know if the UTR Executive
      Board voted on these actions and when?

      Francie Kunaniec
      Librarian, Adams Middle School
      Co-chair, WCCUSD Library Dept.
    • Diamel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
        Francie,

        The Rep Council was not aware of the executive board recommendation on the
        parcel tax prior to the meeting. An Agenda reminder sent to the reps did not
        include the parcel tax. I was at the meeting and Margaret Browne from Kappa
        Kennedy reminded the council that the parcel tax was important to secondary
        counselors and librarians.

        UTR Executive Board recommendation: "That the UTR Representative Council not
        take a position on the parcel tax until it supports all of our members and
        until our contract is settled." It is a shame that the members are asked to vote
        on issues that they are not informed about.

        Diane Brown

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
          This was a motion that was placed before the rep
          council Wednesday, May 31th and the majority voted for
          it.

          eduardo

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
            Eduardo & Diane -
            Thanks so much for your quick response. Just to be sure that I'm
            understanding this correctly... On Wednesday, the UTR Representatives
            voted by a majority to support the UTR Executive Board and NOT to
            give support to the parcel tax which pays the salaries of UTR members
            (librarians and counselors) who provide valuable services to WCCUSD
            students.

            Is that correct?

            Francie

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
              That is correct. I agree with Diane: the UTR
              leadership presents motions during the last ten
              minutes of the meeting expecting us to vote for them
              without any substantial conversations/debates making
              for hasty decisions. There is more I could say about
              this decision, but this is not the correct forum.

              Eduardo

            • Diamel@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                Francie,

                This was the language that was voted on: "That the UTR Representative
                Council not take a position on the parcel tax until it supports all of our members
                and until our contract is settled." It was brought to the rep council as a
                recommendation from the UTR Executive Board.

                One other point is that the parcel tax resolution was not provided to the
                membership before the vote. Let me know if you have any other questions.

                Diane Brown
                DeJean Middle

              • Tony Sustak
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Francie,
                  The motion was that UTR not take a position on the parcel tax. It was not to
                  not support to the parcel tax( forgive the clumsy language here), only to
                  not take a position on the parcel tax. As Diane reported, at Rep Council I
                  reminded the reps that the proposed parcel tax would provide for counselors
                  and librarians for eight more years. Yes these are UTR members who do
                  provide valuable services for our students. The article in the West County
                  Times on Friday, 6/1 states that Mendes said that the local would not
                  support the parcel tax. That is not what was voted on at the Rep Council.

                  Margaret Browne

                  _____

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogro <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                  wrote:

                  > This was a motion that was placed before the rep
                  > council Wednesday, May 31th and the majority voted for
                  > it.
                  >
                  > eduardo

                • c_cowens
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                    What exactly is the point of taking an explicit position to not take a
                    position on the parcel tax instead of simply not bringing it up at all
                    (which seems to be completely in the power of the Executive Board)
                    unless one wants to decrease the chances of the parcel tax passing?

                    Charley Cowens

                    --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Sustak" <mtsustak@...> wrote:

                    > Francie,
                    > The motion was that UTR not take a position on the parcel tax. It
                    was not to
                    > not support to the parcel tax( forgive the clumsy language here),
                    only to
                    > not take a position on the parcel tax. As Diane reported, at Rep
                    Council I
                    > reminded the reps that the proposed parcel tax would provide for
                    counselors
                    > and librarians for eight more years. Yes these are UTR members who do
                    > provide valuable services for our students. The article in the West
                    County
                    > Times on Friday, 6/1 states that Mendes said that the local would not
                    > support the parcel tax. That is not what was voted on at the Rep
                    Council.

                    > Margaret Browne
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Kimberly Wetzel
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Hi everyone,

                      Kim Wetzel here from the West County Times. I wanted to share with you the exact
                      language in a California Teacher's Association press release issued to the media
                      Thursday, May 31 regarding UTR's position on the district's parcel tax renewal:

                      "In the news conference today, the teachers' union also announced it will be
                      filing bad-faith bargaining charges against the district with the California
                      Public Employment Relations Board, and that teachers will be withholding
                      campaign support of the district's education parcel tax renewal vote in August."

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                        To me there's a big difference between voting to not take a position
                        (what UTR board members stated) and voting to withhold support (what
                        Gail stated). I understand that UTR is in the middle of contract
                        negotiations and that it is very difficult. I don't understand, however,
                        putting their own members' job in jeopardy. The parcel tax would be
                        supporting the librarians, the counselors, and class size reduction. If
                        class size reduction goes away how many elementary teachers would lose
                        their jobs? At the elementary school where I work, we would probably
                        lose at least 4 teachers, maybe more. Without the parcel tax, how many
                        librarians and counselors would be laid off? Maybe I'm missing something
                        here, but this feels counterproductive.
                        Cathy

                      • Francie
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 4, 2007
                          The number that I've heard is 60 UTR members and 35 Local 1 paid from
                          the parcel tax, but it could be more. Just the Library Department
                          alone, consists of 12 Librarians (UTR) and the equivalent of 21 full-
                          time paraprofessionals (Local 1). There are approximately 34
                          secondary counselors listed on the District website. I couldn't even
                          begin to estimate the number of elementary teachers included for
                          class-size reduction.

                          Whether the union position is not to take a position or to withhold
                          support or to "not not support" is all a matter of semantics. The end
                          result is the same.

                          Francie

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                            Francie is correct. The end results will be the same. If we do not renew this parcel tax the kids, staff, and parents will suffer. The only way school districts at this time can raise any money is via local avenues. I cannot imagine what our high schools will be like without our SROs, without our librarians, without our counselors, without sports, without the textbook clerks, etc. The safety programs we have been able to implement and the ones to come next year at PVHS are imperative for the health, welfare and safety of our kids. I cannot possibly believe that teachers are not willing to come to the table to discuss the issues but would rather call for a strike. If this parcel tax does not pass, it is the secondary program in this district that will suffer. I do not want to see a division between elementary and secondary parents. It would be so detrimental.

                            Our teachers definitely need a raise and rightfully deserve it. But coming out and saying what Ms. Mendez has said, is very disappointing and only sets a tone of embattlement. I have found it very rewarding to have the leadership of Local One at the table in the WCCUSD Budget Advisory Committee, but am disillusioned as to why we don't see the leadership of UTR at the table. I am thankful that Eduardo Martinez is at the meetings to provide a teacher perspective, but he is but one teacher. The goal of the budget committee was to try and get everyone at the table discussing matters rather than going down the adversarial road like this district always does. The current administration hasn't even been in the job for one year, what do we expect - miracles. We all have to meet each other half way if we are going to move ahead for the kids.
                            Tammy Campbell

                            Francie <fdkunaniec@...> wrote:
                            The number that I've heard is 60 UTR members and 35 Local 1 paid from
                            the parcel tax, but it could be more. Just the Library Department
                            alone, consists of 12 Librarians (UTR) and the equivalent of 21 full-
                            time paraprofessionals (Local 1). There are approximately 34
                            secondary counselors listed on the District website. I couldn't even
                            begin to estimate the number of elementary teachers included for
                            class-size reduction.

                            Whether the union position is not to take a position or to withhold
                            support or to "not not support" is all a matter of semantics. The end
                            result is the same.

                            Francie

                            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:
                            > To me there's a big difference between voting to not take a
                            position
                            > (what UTR board members stated) and voting to withhold support
                            (what
                            > Gail stated). I understand that UTR is in the middle of contract
                            > negotiations and that it is very difficult. I don't understand,
                            however,
                            > putting their own members' job in jeopardy. The parcel tax would be
                            > supporting the librarians, the counselors, and class size
                            reduction. If
                            > class size reduction goes away how many elementary teachers would
                            lose
                            > their jobs? At the elementary school where I work, we would
                            probably
                            > lose at least 4 teachers, maybe more. Without the parcel tax, how
                            many
                            > librarians and counselors would be laid off? Maybe I'm missing
                            something
                            > here, but this feels counterproductive.
                            > Cathy

                            Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
                            2668 Alhambra Way
                            Pinole, CA 94564
                            Home: 510-223-3857
                            Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

                            Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
                            Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
                            Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
                            Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
                            Pinole Valley High School: etree@...
                            Pinole CARE: parents@...
                            WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                              BINGO Charley.

                              c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote: What exactly is the point of taking an explicit position to not take a

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Eduardo,
                                  You are at the table, you understand and you see even a bigger picture than I do. How does this decision help our district move forward and ultimately who does it server?
                                  Tammy

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    Tammy wrote about the important contributions made by funding from the parcel tax, e.g., counselors, librarians, etc.

                                    I noticed that someone has posted an analysis of three years of expenditures under the parcel tax on the District website. This data, in my view, confirms her observations.

                                    Robert W. Brower

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 5, 2007
                                        I agree with Tammy. UTR should pull out all stops to get the parcel
                                        tax passed. It's a no-brainer which should take ten seconds to decide
                                        on, not ten minutes or ten days. Also, how has the parcel tax issue
                                        has been tied into the raise issue? I don't see what the connection
                                        is between the two.

                                        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 6, 2007
                                          Ralph,

                                          The connection is that if the School Board wants a parcel tax and the UTR
                                          wants a raise and if the UTR's support is required or important to pass a
                                          parcel tax then the UTR's support for a parcel tax could be a bargaining
                                          chip for getting a raise. Maybe this threat has been made less publicly
                                          already and received a "Make My Day" kind of response. One option for the
                                          UTR would then be to quietly not support the parcel tax in order to carry
                                          through on this to make their point to the Board. Another option would be to
                                          shrug it off and support the parcel tax anyway using only the strike threat
                                          to apply pressure for a raise. The option the UTR has actually exercised is
                                          to publicly trumpet their unsupport. As we can see, this has exposed them to
                                          a lot of blowback without necessarily gaining them anything.

                                          Charley Cowens

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 6, 2007
                                            Ralph,
                                            Charley is correct in his statement. How does UTR's statement help the children of this district or for that matter the counselors, librarians, custodians, and teachers who will lose their jobs if this parcel tax does not pass. What is there to gain from negative press and only reaffirms opinons of so many that our public schools are worthless. Their action directly impacts the passage of the parcel tax and their continued statement of non-support will ultimately hurt the kids. Why should citizens who ride the fence support a parcel tax if the teachers can't. It is a very sad day. And as a parent, it makes me pause and wonder how I feel about the leadership of UTR and the damage that has been done by this action.

                                            On a happy note, at least the citizens and teachers union of Emery Unified were able to renew their parcel tax for 10 years with a whoping 86.89% of the vote. Obviously they care about their kids to sacrifice more.

                                            All I can do is say it is all politics and shake my head.
                                            Tammy Campbell

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 9, 2007
                                              Charlie,
                                              It's Saturday morning 6/9; and I'm reading your message kind of late.
                                              Anyway, I agree with you.
                                              Margaret Browne

                                              _____

                                              Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@ <mailto:charley.cowens%40gmail.com>

                                              On 6/5/07, Ralph Bedwell <bedwellr@yahoo. <mailto:bedwellr%40yahoo.com> com>
                                              wrote:

                                              > I agree with Tammy. UTR should pull out all stops to get the parcel
                                              > tax passed. It's a no-brainer which should take ten seconds to decide
                                              > on, not ten minutes or ten days. Also, how has the parcel tax issue
                                              > has been tied into the raise issue? I don't see what the connection
                                              > is between the two.
                                              >
                                              > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogro <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                                              Tammera Campbell