Re: Bad Planning

  • rebecca494
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 9:42 PM
      Jill, I would add our district is guilty of "Penny Wise, Pound Foolish."

      Back in the late 90's a very distinguished committee, called the
      Disaster Planning Collaborative, composed of district facilities
      officials and parents, including a distinguished engineer, who had
      been to Kobe to study the earthquake damage and a member of the
      Berkeley City Planning Dept (parents in this district) recommended a
      set of planning standards for the bond program that included
      engineering studies of every school site. Liquifaction was a big
      concern. Through out this process was the cry from the district, "too
      expensive." Now if the district had spent the first $1.5 million (as
      each study was pegged at $25K), of the first bond measure on state of
      the art engineering studies many of these issues such as you and I
      have raised would have been identified.

      "Haste makes waste" and "Penny wise, pound foolish."

      I want the young families in this district to know that there were
      parents that came well before them that tried to influence the Bond
      program towards a sound planning structure. Many of these parents
      spent countless hours in meetings and providing written materials, to
      no end. We had little if no influence in the final analysis.

      Rebecca Hazlewood