Board Mtg 5/2 - SUPERSTARS!!!

  • Alicia Medina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2007
      Will write more later on another subject that must be addressed
      PER PRESIDENT PFEIFER

      But for now,
      here are the BOARD MEETING SUPERSTARS for last night's meeting:

      ROBERT BROWER - spoke about correction to minutes. Mr. BRower was listed as
      being in favor of something he was not, and practically had to start yelling up at the
      podium, as the board did not understand what he was talking about?

      PARENTS/COMMUNITY/KIDS - who came out to support the petition for the
      charter school (the name escapes me at the moment). I believe BRown Violations
      did occur as this was the opening of the public hearing that comes with receiving
      an application for charter. The West County Times reported that there would be
      a presentaiton of the program. That is actually why I attended the Board Mtg last
      nite to get the infortmation on this charter. There was NO INFORMATION on
      the charter in the board packet (they usually put the application right in there)
      I don't know if this will happen at next meeting, but even then it makes no sense
      because the district has up to 60 days to respond. So the bottom line on this
      whole thing is:
      WCT reported that a presentation would be made
      The gentleman was ready with the presentation, but the district did not have
      the equipment set up.
      President Pfeifer - instead of hearing the speakers (all of them) decided to give
      the gentleman a certain amt of time to talk about the charter.

      For all the folks who want to bring their charter to WCCUSD, I say hats off to you.
      WE are interested in looking at your program to see what you can bring to better
      the educating of our kids here in West County. I spoke with some of the parents
      who were confused about why they were not allowed to speak. We must ensure
      that our school board stops the maddness of TUNNEL VISION OF DECLINING
      enrollment and look at the PROGRAM and WHAT IT DOES FOR KIDS.
      Its almost like charter school is a dirty word for them to even discuss!!!
      Kind of like School Site Councils - and budgets. whatever.

      And the superstar of the evening?

      Dr. Kaye Burnside
      Why you say?
      Dr. Burnside is the person you must contact to ensure that procedure will be
      followed regarding the sites monitoring and evaluating their site plans. President
      Pfeifer chose to speak to the lowly public during public comment time (I thought
      there was a RAmsey rule about this?) and tell the lowly public member that
      they must meet with Dr. Burnside. Lowly person had kids to take home, and
      waited to see if Dr. Burnside could get up out of her chair, walk over and address
      the concerns of the community that I brought to the meeting. Like she was told
      to do by President Pfeifer. She did not.

      Its a shame because Dr. Burnside was able to flip
      on her mic and claim inaccuracies were made in the public comment that
      came from me, obviously it wasn't THAT inaccurate if she couldn't come over
      to my chair (which was less than 100 feet away from her) and discuss my
      concerns with me.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2007
        Alicia,

        You missed one big SUPEEEEEEEER STAR.

        That is yourself.

        I cannot get up the energy any more for the Board Meetings and I applaud you
        tenacity.

        Please whomever put the out takes on U-TUBE of the past Board Meetings keep
        it up and keep us informed on this site where to go to find them.

        I thought the days of Woody Snodgrass and his two girls were behind us but
        now it is Charles Ramsey and his girls.

        Woody helped get his girls elected and now Charles has his girls having
        payed their way to the ball.

        I am afraid of Charles using his legal and political tactics so I will
        refrain from some of my comments but for those who lived through the 90's in
        this district, those times have returned and for those that think Dr. Harter
        is a knight in shining armor remember what happened to King Arthur when
        Lancelot and Guinevere betrayed him. Dr. Harter, regardless of his dreams
        and visions cannot compete with people who have egos bigger than the sun and
        put those ego's before the children.

        Those I most fear for are the kids, the education they are facing now will
        be similar to that of the 90's and we who lived it can only say God help the
        children.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2007
          --Thanks to Kevin for reviewing history for us, and of course thank you Alicia for continuing the struggle to educate the students and involve parents in the process. I must agree with Kevin, those of us who have been on the front line for so long, can see some change, but also see a board that continue to put their egos in front of the student and parents.

          I do think we need to start thinking about some other means to address the issues of education in this district, I have in the past mention, eliminating the board and electing the supt., but the discussion of what's in the best interest of the students and parents must be addressed in some type of public forum because, it does not matter who we have as supt., if the board continues with it back biting methods and total disrespect for parents. Their actions perpetuate an atmosphere that goes down to the sites; and students and parents are left with few choices other then to leave the district, go to a charter, home school or some other type of concrete actions.

          From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>