Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: Fwd: WE NEED YOUR FULL ATTENTION

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
      Assemblyman Joe Canciamilla will be in Pinole this Sunday I believe at City Hall. I'm checking on the time now and hopefully Betty Boyle or Maureen Toms can provide the exact information. It would be very important to talk to him.
      Tammy

      lori.berry@... wrote:
      Thank you, Becky...we so much appreciate your group's concern, comments
      and activism. Our CARE group had another "after meeting after drinks
      parking lot discussion" last night and surmised that the District is
      probably planning (with all this new construction and the apparent
      resumption of planning for a 6/7/8 site for Pinole Middle--which is
      currently a 7/8 site) to consolidate and close some schools down to save
      more money. As usual, we can't pin anyone down (including Fred Stewart)
      to actually come out and say what they're really planning to do. And it's
      so disheartening to hear all the rhetoric and doublespeak--apparently that
      they're even giving to their own personnel (i.e., cuts to Special
      Education, conflicting stories from Board members).

      And yet, with all their shortsighted planning they fail to take into
      account the new developments being built--especially out in our area.
      Where are they going to cram these new students if they're going to be
      closing down schools? What type of "safe" environment are they going to
      have if they get rid of all the counselors and site supervisors? Are they
      planning to enlarge our class sizes even further so they don't have to
      hire more teachers to teach this increased number of students? Are
      parents going to get so fed up that they're going to enroll all their kids
      in private and charter schools?

      It's so much more important now that we band together and continue our
      fight loudly and effectively--especially because they're going to have
      this final budget meeting (which I hear is public but I need to go on
      their website in whatever corner they've hidden it in to find out) on
      Monday, and also Joe Canciamella is supposedly attending a meeting shortly
      (Tammy...Barbara...help!--can you let us know when and where these two
      meetings are?).

      We all need to look at the big picture, and even though we have particular
      things that we are pissed off about personally, we have to fight together
      not only for those things but for all the things wrong in this District
      and the welfare of all our children. We all have some very creative and
      good ideas that the Board and others are refusing to hear and act on. We
      need to get more people to join our groups and fight with us--not just
      attend a Board meeting, complain loudly and leave. Do you have any ideas?
      We were thinking of having a meeting an hour or 1/2 hour before each
      Board meeting (because we know people are planning to show up anyway, and
      this way we might get more attendence). By the way, our next CARE meeting
      is scheduled for Monday July 7 at Pinole City Hall. Help!

      Following Becky's e-mail to me is the e-mail post I sent to Fred Stewart
      that Becky is referring to (for those who haven't read it yet), including
      Barbara Van Zile's original e-mail message to Fred Stewart.

      Lori Berry
      Concerned, Disappointed, and Long-Winded Parent

      becky.mcdermith@...
      06/05/2003 09:20 PM

      To: lori.berry@...
      cc: bozer@..., davidwhitnack@..., HMH4@...,
      jlbreyer@..., mertens_sue@..., TheaterMom@...
      Subject: RE: Fwd: WE NEED YOUR FULL ATTENTION

      Wow, what a great letter Lori! I applaud your articulate directness and
      actually see a glimmer of hope in knowing that people like you are taking
      the
      gloves off!

      Thanks,

      Becky McDermith
      Madera Elementary parent
      > FYI...letters to Fred Stewart appear to be beginning...

      The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Ernst & Young LLP

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor