Portola Site Relocation Board Meeting 4/4/07

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 11:35 AM
      Item E.1
      Portola Site Relocation
      Recommendation: The Board selects the "Build the middle school on the
      Fairmont property" as the lead proposal and directs staff to begin the
      progress too develope the lead proposal into a project.

      If you are interested in this you may want to review the following
      PDF, this was previously shown at a WCCUSD Board Meeting and the CBOC
      meeting I attended. What I don't like is that the district claims not
      to want small schools and this Middle School will only house 600
      students according to the following PDF. So it does appear to be an
      exclusive El Cerrito Middle School.

      http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/construction/Facilities/Portola/PortolaBoar
      dPresent01-17-07.pdf
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 11:28 PM
        On 4/2/07, sunsetjill <sunsetjill@...> wrote:
        > Item E.1
        > Portola Site Relocation
        > Recommendation: The Board selects the "Build the middle school on the
        > Fairmont property" as the lead proposal and directs staff to begin the
        > progress too develope the lead proposal into a project.
        >
        > If you are interested in this you may want to review the following
        > PDF, this was previously shown at a WCCUSD Board Meeting and the CBOC
        > meeting I attended. What I don't like is that the district claims not
        > to want small schools and this Middle School will only house 600
        > students according to the following PDF. So it does appear to be an
        > exclusive El Cerrito Middle School.
        >
        > http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/construction/Facilities/Portola/PortolaBoar
        > dPresent01-17-07.pdf

        Jill-

        Thanks for the link. Portola is already pretty far down in its numbers
        (640, this year I believe). I don't know how many are transfer
        students. Does anyone else have any idea how many are currently
        transfers?

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 10:00 AM
          Charley,
          It's not the transfer population I am concerned about. It's
          Washington and Stege residents (Richmond) I am concerned about.
          This all goes back to the redistricting that the Kings
          (demographers) received a hefty payment on. They still continue to
          get paid on all this. The K8 used their work with out the
          committee's approval. I think it was Vince that contacted them.
          They have probably been used on all of this.
          What the demographers don't take into account is all the legal
          transfers. If you look at Stege and Washington, Alvarado Adult
          school would be a much better location for them. But as that PDF
          shows "A New Middle School in El Cerrito"
          And after the CBOC meeting I attended where I heard El Cerrito
          children will not go to a Richmond school. Also all the comments
          over the years of sending the transfers back to their resident
          schools, with the ignorance that their resident schools are in
          Program Improvement Status and these children have the RIGHT to
          transfer!
          Anyway, enough ranting, I did compile some data off the California
          Department of Education WEB site and I will post that. You can look
          at the data anyway you like!

          Jill

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"