Middle School Capacity vs Enrollment

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2006
      I am getting disgusted with the millions of dollars in Bond Money
      being wasted or abused for extravagant items such as Tennis Courts,
      Swimming Pools, Theaters, etc while some children still sit in class
      with leaking roofs, broken windows and lord only knowsÂ…
      So as I look at the Board Packet, I pause to look at about $45, 000
      to relocate Portola, Leadership (I think) just to discuss it. (If I
      am interrupting this correctly)
      This stirred up some old K8 Feelings and personal feeling about the
      Junior High School that I attended. I fought at K8 for the Transfer
      children. I heard rumors about redistricting about transfer
      students.
      I was not able to transfer out of my Junior High school. My mom
      could not fight. She did not have the time as I do to fight for my
      child. We lived in a good neighborhood and had the right zip code,
      but the school district had to make its boundaries based on Capacity
      and enrollment. This brings up what I feel is unfair about our
      district. The people who can take the time and money get what they
      want and do not care about the poor children left behind in Richmond
      and San Pablo. I think what hit me strongest in the K8 Committee
      was when we did the surveys and my husband helped translate the
      Spanish speaking ones. Many people wrote down "what choice do I
      have?" when answering if their child will attend a WCCUSD Middle
      School. This brought tears to my eyes because they do have choices,
      it's just that the district does not help or advise them. Any way I
      thought you all might be interested with this data:

      Capacity WCCUSD according to redistricting 11-23-04 vs
      Enrollment 2005-2006 according to California Dept Ed

      Capicity Enrollment

      Pinile MS 900 710
      Hercules MS 1027 929
      Crespi 1264 698
      Adams 1208 708
      Helms 1067 929
      DeJean 1080 848
      Portola 1023 640

      So the question for me is why does WCCUSD not find a safe location
      for Portola and Adams and combine the 2 Middle Schools? If they are
      both on the Hayward fault and endangering our children????

      Pondering over $45,000 which is more then this former WCCUSD
      employee made in the 5 years I worked for them....

      Dazed and Confused,

      Jill Wolkenfeld
      Pinole MS