Brown Act Violations Just a mistake again????

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
      Dear School Board Members,

      Can you get someone to upload the agenda this weekend.
      It states on the district WEB Site that is will be available the
      Friday before according to this copied from WCCUSD website:
      Upcoming Board Meeting, 12/06/06
      Meetings are normally scheduled to be held at the Lovonya DeJean
      Middle School Multipurpose Room, 3400 Macdonald Ave., Richmond, on
      the first and third Wednesdays of each month at 6:30 p.m. The
      entrance to the Multipurpose Room is on 33rd Street, around the
      corner from the school's main entrance on Macdonald Avenue.
      Dates and location are subject to change to accommodate holidays and
      other conflicts in scheduling. Notification of any changes in dates,
      times, or location will be publicized.
      Meeting agendas are posted for public viewing the Friday before each
      regular meeting in the lobby of the administration building at 1108
      Bissell Avenue, at district schools, and at the district's website
      at http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/board/agendas. Copies of meeting
      agendas also are available by contacting the Superintendent's Office
      at 234-3825, ext. 2205.
      Complete board meeting packets with supporting materials are
      available for review at the administration building, the district
      website, the district's five high schools, and at public libraries
      throughout West County.

      Also according to Brown Act 54954.2 there should be a legislative
      body of the local agency, or designee responsible to see that this
      is done. I am tired of hearing that it was just a mistake. Who is
      responsible for this?

      54954.2. (a) (1) At least 72 hours before a regular meeting, the
      legislative body of the local agency, or its designee, shall post an
      agenda containing a brief general description of each item of
      business to be transacted or discussed at the meeting, including
      items to be discussed in closed session. A brief general description
      of an item generally need not exceed 20 words. The agenda shall
      specify the time and location of the regular meeting and shall be
      posted in a location that is freely accessible to members of the
      public. If requested, the agenda shall be made available in
      appropriate alternative formats to persons with a disability, as
      required by Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of
      1990 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 12132), and the federal rules and regulations
      adopted in implementation thereof. The agenda shall include
      information regarding how, to whom, and when a request for disability
      related modification or accommodation, including auxiliary aids or
      services may be made by a person with a disability who requires a
      modification or accommodation in order to participate in the public
      meeting.

      Thank You in Advance,

      Jill Wolkenfeld
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
        The technicality here is the district posts the brief agenda on the door of
        the administration building and the district is then within the letter of
        the law compliant by posting the agenda.

        This district always tries to follow the letter of the law and on occasion
        they actually follow the spirit of the law usually when it involves a grant
        the forces them to do so or loose the money.

        Cynical, possibly.

        Kevin

> [...]
        >items to be discussed in closed session. A brief general description
        >of an item generally need not exceed 20 words. The agenda shall
        >specify the time and location of the regular meeting and shall be
        >posted in a location that is freely accessible to members of the
        >public. If requested, the agenda shall be made available in
        >appropriate alternative formats to persons with a disability, as
        >required by Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of
        >1990 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 12132), and the federal rules and regulations
        >adopted in implementation thereof. The agenda shall include
        >information regarding how, to whom, and when a request for disability
        >related modification or accommodation, including auxiliary aids or
        >services may be made by a person with a disability who requires a
        >modification or accommodation in order to participate in the public

        Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
        by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001
      • Elizabeth Jaeger
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
          Cynical, possibly; realistic, definitely.

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2006
            So is it posted on the door? If I go there tomottow, will I see
            it? I'm not driving to that neighborhood alone at night. I'm a
            mother! I have to put my son first! I am willing to check on it
            tomorrow in the day light.
            Sorry I was just thinking about what Kevin said about putting the
            Employees that are at Seaviw to Gompers and the Leadership children
            to Seaview. What a great souloution!
            It does not take a Rocket Scientist to do what is right by our
            children, but it takes 100K plus salaries that put the children
            last....
            Cynical Here!

            Jill

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Jaeger"

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
              It has been posted on the door all the times I have gone down there.

              As long as it is posted in the same manner as in the past they are "in"
              compliance.

              Better answer is wait until Monday an see if it is at your local High School
              which is also suppose to happen as past practices also accoring to what is
              on the agenda every month as to where to find the agendas.

              That is perhaps where a violation could be found.

              It is funny sometmes asking for the board agenda at a local high School and
              they hand you a Site Council agenda. Happened to me once.

              age, and price. Try it!
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                Kevin, that is Board Policy and it also states every school. They
                have never been in compliance with their own policy. The Brown Act
                states:
                posted in a location that is freely accessible to members of the
                public.

                So if it is on the door then I assume they are in compliance, but I
                have to dribe down to the district to look.

                Remember the Key worh here is FREELY

                Thanks Again for your help!

                Jill
                wrote:

> [...]
                > >1108
                > >website
                Superintendent's
                > > > Office
                > >district
                > >libraries

                > >legislative
                > >this
                > >Who is

                > >the
                > >post
                > > > an
                > > > description
                > >be
                Act
                > >of
                > >regulations
                > > > disability
                > >or
                > >public

                > >Radio
                > > > powered

                > MSN Shopping has everything on your holiday list. Get expert picks
                ctId=8000,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=200601&tcode=wlmtagline

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                  Tick Tock Tick Tock: Time is running out....
                  Should I Email the Board Members again? Someone has until 5:30PM
                  tonight to post it somewhere and let us know where it is....

                  Jill

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                    For those interested I have continued on the same thread, but deleted
                    previos post.
                    I have received a response from Glen Price. He has not received an
                    agenda either. He has sent my Email to Bruce Harter. We shall see...
                    Tick Tock
                    Jill
                  • Linda
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                      Does this mean the new School Board Members won't be sworn in?

                      Then do the previous Board members stay till the next regular meeting in January 2007?
                      Happy New Year!!!

                      Who is responsible for posting the Agenda?

                      Just Curious,
                      Linda

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 3, 2006
                        If there's an issue with the agenda it wouldn't affect the new board
                        members being sworn in. The only potential effect would be if there were
                        a particularly controversial item on the agenda. Then people could ask
                        to have a decision postponed to allow adequate public input. If the
                        agenda is posted on the bulletin board at Bissell then that would mean
                        it was adequate public notice and it wouldn't matter. I'm on the elist,
                        so when I get the agenda I'll post it here.

                        They've actually been really good recently about getting the agenda
                        posted on the web page and emailed to folks who ask to be on the list.
                        The only other time there was an issue it was because of a computer
                        failure. Finding the packet at the high school is another matter, but I
                        always thought that was an issue at my particular high school more than
                        the fault of the district. Guess I'll check this week.

                        Cathy