Jan 11, 2006 Meeting Minutes (Leadership Charter) Bond MNGT Team

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      West Contra Costa Unified School District
      Bond Management Team
      1300 Potrero Avenue
      Richmond, CA 94804
      Main: (510) 412-5657
      Fax: (510) 412-5661
      January 17, 2006
      MEETING MINUTES
      Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
      Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
      Project 0120900.12 / 4800
      MEETING DATE: January 11, 2006
      ATTENDEES
      Charles Ramsey, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
      District Board of Trustees
      Karen Pfeifer, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
      District Board of Trustees
      Vince Kilmartin, Associate Superintendent, Operations, West Contra
      Costa Unified School
      District
      Bill Savidge, District Engineering Officer, West Contra Costa
      Unified School District
      Ted Hood, Senior Director of Bond Finance, West Contra Costa Unified
      School District
      Adrienne Blalock, Director of Bond Facilities, West Contra Costa
      Unified School District
      David Azcarraga, Chief Operations Officer, West Contra Costa Unified
      School District
      Heidi Camorongan, Director of Food Services, West Contra Costa
      Unified School District
      Rudy Gonzalez, Interim Police Chief, West Contra Costa Unified
      School District
      Lise Nance, Administrative Secretary, Bond Finance, West Contra
      Costa Unified School District
      Mike Mahoney, Oversight Committee Member, Building Trades Council
      Antonio Medrano, Vice-Chair, Bond Oversight Committee, West Contra
      Costa Unified School
      District
      Madeline Kronenberg, Parent, El Cerrito
      Michael O'Connor, CBOC
      Chuck Shinneman, Director of Sustainability and Technology, Capital
      Engineering Consultants
      Leonard McNeil, Council Member, San Pablo City Council
      Mark Kushner, CEO, Leadership Public Schools
      John Harris, Director, Leadership Public Schools, Richmond
      Jerry Simmons, Attorney at Law, Spector, Middleton, Young and
      Minney, LLP
      Alex Terman, Chief Operating Officer, Leadership Public Schools
      Terrell Miller, Design Phase Manager, Don Todd Associates, Inc.
      Lance Jackson, Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
      Karim Nassab, Deputy Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
      Kevin MacQuarrie, Master Architect, AIA, WLC Architects, Inc.
      Sisi Meng, Design Team, WLC Architects, Inc.
      Meeting Minutes
      Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
      Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
      Project 0120900.12 / 4800
      January 17, 2006
      Page 2
      ITEMS DISCUSSED
      1. Mr. Kushner, CEO of Leadership Public Schools, provided an
      introduction to their
      request for West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) to
      provide facilities.
      Mr. Simmons, Attorney, explained Proposition 39 and its effect on
      school districts and
      charter schools. It requires districts to provide facilities to
      charter schools that are
      reasonably equivalent to district schools. He maintains that
      Richmond High School
      should be used as an equivalent comparison with comparable
      facilities, not Gompers.
      Students are also to be housed in a single location. Prop 39
      requires that the District
      provide facilities that are furnished and equipped. The LPS is
      currently funding its own
      facilities and equipment needs. Mr. Simmons indicated that WCCUSD is
      out of
      compliance with the Prop 39 requirements citing the Ridgecrest court
      decision.
      Mr. Kushner would like to create a win-win situation with the
      District to get a long term
      lease for a facility and is willing to be a good partner and pay
      their fair share. He would
      prefer to reach a solution without litigation. He maintains LPS is a
      proud member of the
      WCCUSD and is performing at a high level. He indicated that Gompers
      is not up to ADA
      and seismic codes, and is not an equivalent facility. He recommended
      working together to
      find an appropriate site for the benefit of the students. Mr.
      Harris, Director of LPS School
      in Richmond, said their children are entitled to appropriate
      facilities.
      Mr. Kilmartin summarized potential solutions such as upgrading
      Gompers to meet code
      or moving LPS to Seaview Elementary School. LPS will have an
      enrollment of 500
      students, and will have soccer, basketball and baseball teams, but
      no facilities.
      Mr. Kushner indicated the bond should be used towards charter school
      facilities. LPS
      provides transportation for some of their students, most are from
      San Pablo. They would
      like a minimum 5 year lease (they are currently on a 1 year lease).
      He suggested that if
      LPS had a long term lease at Seaview Elementary School they could
      improve it and if the
      District needed it back after 10 years that could be worked through.
      Mr. Medrano
      indicated Seaview Elementary School does not have a gym. Seaview
      Elementary School
      is a better platform to build a school, it is safe, and has space.
      It could hold 500 students if
      portables were added. Mrs. Pfeifer asked why they turned down the
      Kennedy High
      School offer. It was really a three way split between facilities and
      was not workable. She
      asked if there was enough space at Kennedy, would they take it. Mr.
      Kushner indicated it
      could cause problems with the District teachers regarding salaries,
      professional
      development days, safety, etc. Mrs. Pfeifer asked that since KHS
      will have small learning
      communities would it work? Mr. Kushner indicated that if they were
      invited by the
      school it has the potential to succeed. The LPS families are trying
      to get out of KHS and
      RHS and may not want to go back there. Mrs. Pfeifer is concerned
      that reopening
      Seaview Elementary School as a school is throwing good money after
      bad. KHS is in a
      good neighborhood, has space, is close to the LPS population and
      offers a lot of facilities.
      Mr. Kushner indicated willingness to discuss it, however separation
      of the student
      populations is critical. Creating an academic culture is key to the
      LPS program.
      Mrs. Pfeifer said KHS is a very safe campus with a great principal.
      Mr. Kilmartin
      Meeting Minutes
      Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
      Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
      Project 0120900.12 / 4800
      January 17, 2006
      Page 3
      indicated that KHS will be reconstructed with the Measure J funds
      which could include
      designs for the charter school. Mr. McNeil, San Pablo Council
      Member, said that LPS has
      put its own money into its facilities and is not just taking the
      cream of the kids from the
      District. LPS has schools in Oakland, Stockton, San Jose, and
      Hayward. Ms. Kronenberg
      indicated that she works in a facility that has a wide variety of
      staff salaries and they are
      able to get along. Mr. Savidge asked if LPS has applied for state
      charter school funds.
      Mr. Terman indicated that it is a future opportunity, but it is
      based on unhoused student
      eligibility, and the District has none in this high school
      attendance area. KHS could be an
      opportunity if the District built a portable campus.
      2. Mr. Savidge introduced Mr. Shinneman of Capital Engineering
      Consultants to present
      alternative energy concepts in WCCUSD. He did an analysis of
      photovoltaic possibilities
      at El Cerrito High School which could be placed on the flat roofs.
      Two systems were
      reviewed, polycrystalline and thin film technology which is less
      efficient and takes more
      space, but is more durable, and because of the incentive programs is
      less expensive
      overall. The thin film is a whole roofing, financing and solar power
      package installed and
      maintained by the provider and would basically cost the District
      nothing. Mr. Savidge
      indicated that a demonstration polycrystalline system is being
      installed at Lupine Hills at
      no cost to the District. The vendor maintains the roof. Mr. Mahoney
      asked if the proposed
      roof system is realistic. Additional analysis is required. This is a
      piggyback contract
      system through San Diego and PSS. Mr. Ramsey asked if this
      technology could be used
      on the finished school projects? It is most cost effective to
      install the solar systems during
      construction, but they can be put on an existing roof. The thin film
      technology is the
      newest development in solar photovoltaics. Ms. Pfeifer asked if
      increasing energy costs
      were included in the projections. Mr. Shinneman was not able to
      project future costs, so a
      2.5 % escalation was included. Mr. O'Connor asked if the location of
      ECHS was
      included in the calculations and the answer is yes. Increasing the
      size of the project will
      not result in an economy of scale savings on solar installation. The
      agreement with PG&E
      is that you cannot produce more energy than you consume with net
      metering. The return
      on investment is basically the same regardless of size. The proposed
      system will produce
      about half of the current ECHS electrical load. Mr. Hood indicated
      that a large up-front
      investment to produce as much as is consumed may be worth it. Mr.
      Mahoney suggested
      looking at purchasing the system outright. To move forward with the
      Solar systems
      analysis would cost an additional $20,000.00 - $30,000.00. Mr.
      Savidge indicated that it
      is currently a seller's market so there is little room for
      negotiation.
      The Facilities Subcommittee recommended further analysis and
      proceeding
      with the development of a specific solar project.
      3. Mr. Kilmartin presented the proposal to establish police
      headquarters at Seaview
      Elementary School. Mr. Gonzalez, WCCUSD Interim Police Chief,
      provided a history of
      the various locations of the police department and the challenges
      they face because of the
      lack of a consolidated facility. Mr. Kilmartin indicated the 2003
      Audit Task Force report
      and the three recent police chiefs have recommended a police
      headquarters be built.
      Meeting Minutes
      Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
      Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
      Project 0120900.12 / 4800
      January 17, 2006
      Page 4
      Mr. Ramsey asked about the fiscal impact, which is yet to be
      determined, but should be
      fairly minimal at Seaview. The Maintenance and Operations (M&O)
      department could do
      the work. The District feels this would be an asset to the
      community. Mr. Ramsey asked
      how it would impact the LPS proposal to take Seaview. Ms. Pfeifer
      heard LPS would pay
      WCCUSD the costs it has currently put into Seaview. The District
      believes Gompers is
      an equivelent facility and that there are several workable scenarios
      to have LPS there.
      Ms. Pfeifer indicated Gompers could also work for the District Staff
      and suggested a
      master plan be developed to explore the options. Ms. Kronenberg
      likes the idea of putting
      LPS at Kennedy High School. Ms. Pfeifer requested a work shop be set
      up to fully
      discuss how to solve where staff and LPS are to go: Gompers,
      Seaview, Kennedy High
      School, or somewhere else.
      The FSC recommended tabling this item until the LPS and staff
      location
      situation is resolved.
      4. Mr. Kilmartin provided an update on M&O issues throughout the
      District. Mr. Jackson
      addressed the peeling paint issue at Verde Elementary School and
      said the Contractor will
      repair it. The Peres Elementary School dental office is not
      operational because when the
      equipment was moved back from Nystrom, parts were lost or damaged.
      The Patterson
      Dental Foundation will complete the work within 30 days. Mr.
      Azcarraga addressed that
      there are adequate funds and supplies to provide toilet paper and
      paper towels necessary
      for the schools. The local custodian is responsible for ordering
      supplies and placing them
      in the restrooms in a timely manner. M&O completed a whole series of
      projects over the
      holidays and Mr. Azcarraga will provide a list to the FSC.
      5. Ms. Blalock introduced the community kitchen process, which
      includes core committee
      group meetings and tours of the existing kitchen facilities. Ms.
      Camorongan provided
      info on the eqipment required for a Health Department Certified
      production kitchen and
      current legislative food service requirements. Mr. MacQuarrie
      presented kitchen design
      concepts and the timeline to complete the project. Ms. Pfeifer
      recommended not installing
      a dishwasher, finishing the design process, cost estimating the
      projects, and taking the
      projects back to the full board for approval. Mr. Savidge indicated
      that the community
      kitchens are not currently budgeted, but will be added to the
      Measure J Bond Program.
      Mr. Mahoney said the project cost of $5 million for 17 community
      kitchens is excessive
      and the fund raising does not warrant it. Mr. Ramsey indicated it
      was a mistake not to put
      them in, in the first place. Mr. Kilmartin said it was a decision
      made by the
      administration. Ms. Pfeifer values the communty experience of the
      fund raisers.
      END OF MINUTES
      Meeting Minutes
      Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
      Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
      Project 0120900.12 / 4800
      January 17, 2006
      Page 5
      The above represents my best interpretation of the spirit and
      content of the discussions. Please let
      me know of any requested modifications or corrections within seven
      days of receipt of these
      minutes.
      Prepared by:
      SIGNATURE ON FILE
      KEVIN A. MacQUARRIE
      Master Architect, AIA
      KAM:dr
      P1012090049-mm
      cc: Attendees
      Dr. Cynthia LeBlanc, Interim Superintendent, West Contra Costa
      Unified School District
      Karen Frison, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra Costa
      Unified School
      District
      Kaye Burnside, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra
      Costa Unified School
      District
      Dr. Howard Cohen, Regional Superintendent, Secondary, West Contra
      Costa Unified
      School District
      Alan Hersh, District Legal Services/Attorney, West Contra Costa
      Unified School District
      Ruth Vedovelli, Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Services, West
      Contra Costa Unified
      School District
      Ann Francisco, Senior Administrative Assistant, West Contra Costa
      Unified School
      District
      Isamu Yoshida, Senior Vice President, The Seville Group, Inc.

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...>
      wrote:

      > I found some iteresting information googling this. It appears the
      > District has been discussing this since January 2006 and I think I
      > can find a meeting April 2006 in which our new Board Member
      Madelyn
      > Kronenberg attended.
      > What I find most interesting is this Charter is due to expire June
      > 2007 according to :
      > UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
      > BEFORE THE NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD
      > REGION 32
      > LEADERSHIP PUBLIC SCHOOLS, INC.
      > Employer-Petitioner
      > and Case 32-RM-800
      > on May 5, 2006 it States the following:
      >
      > After a public hearing, and after the Employer-Petitioner made the
      > required changes to its proposed charter, the Employer-
      Petitioner's

      http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/16139284.htm

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
        People,

        The district had a chance to deal with Leadership when the district closed
        Seaview Elementary. Leadership was willing to move to Seaview but the
        district said no. The district could have moved Leadership into Seaview and
        staff into Gompers. But as I have said before this district is not about
        the kids so it is screw the kids first and then deal with an emergency by
        pushing the kids into a hole when the district is finally forced to deal
        with the kids.

        The district can still move Leadership to Seaview and the staff to Gompers,
        case closed.

        But the district won't because the district does not care about the kids as
        much as it cares about the adults and the unions who pay for the election of
        the school board members.

        If this district really cared about the kids it would put the interest of
        the kids first and the adults second but look where Leadership is currently
        and where the adults are currently (Seaview) who benefit from the money that
        directly comes into this district because of the kids some who are currently
        in Gompers. Now tell me when you look at this current housing of kids and
        adults do you really think this district thinks about the kids safety and
        welfare first as this district continually espouses.

        If our current Superintendent really wants to show this community that he
        cares for the kids he has the power to make this move. Kids to Seaview,
        staff to Gompers. I just remembered one reason given as to why the move was
        good for the administrative staff to Seaview, that all the fragmented groups
        of people in all the departments would be closer together. Look where
        Gompers and the Administration building are in relationship to each other.
        Moving all the staff to Gompers would be within walking distance of the
        Super. Much more convenient for the ADULTS. Just another supporting factor
        for the move.

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
          --Well said Kevin.