Shifting Spending from Defense to Education

  • bigraccoon
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      SHIFTING SPENDING FROM DEFENSE TO EDUCATION

      Ben & Jerry's co-founder Ben Cohen heads a nonprofit that wants
      Congress to shift spending from defense to education. Cohen
      promotes Business Leaders for Sensible Priorities, a nonprofit
      of which he's president, reports Christopher Palmeri. The
      group's mission is to persuade the government to allocate more
      of the federal budget from what the organization terms "obsolete
      Cold War weapons" to social needs such as education and health
      care for children. Its targets include the $3.2 billion a year
      Joint Strike Fighter program, the $2.3 billion Virginia-class
      submarine, and the $7.5 billion spent on missile defense. Cohen
      says he'd like to see some of what the U.S. spends on its
      nuclear arsenal directed toward rebuilding schools. "The weapons
      we have now are 150,000 times more powerful than what we dropped
      on Hiroshima," he says. "With $10 billion a year you could
      rebuild every school in the country that needs fixing over the
      next 12 years."

      http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/aug2006/pi20060824_523626.htm