Re: Plan to move Leadership to Kennedy

  • c_travlos
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      A more complete version of the article was posted this morning:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/16139284.htm
      - Cathy

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        I found some iteresting information googling this. It appears the
        District has been discussing this since January 2006 and I think I
        can find a meeting April 2006 in which our new Board Member Madelyn
        Kronenberg attended.
        What I find most interesting is this Charter is due to expire June
        2007 according to :
        UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
        BEFORE THE NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD
        REGION 32
        LEADERSHIP PUBLIC SCHOOLS, INC.
        Employer-Petitioner
        and Case 32-RM-800
        on May 5, 2006 it States the following:

        After a public hearing, and after the Employer-Petitioner made the
        required changes to its proposed charter, the Employer-Petitioner's
        charter to operate LPS-Richmond was approved by WCCUSD on February
        27, 2003. The charter was granted for four years and will expire on
        June 30, 2007, prior to which time the Employer-Petitioner must
        submit an application to WCCUSD for renewal of its charter in order
        to continue operating LPS-Richmond as a public charter school. The
        terms of the ASA were finalized subsequent to the approval of the
        charter. The ASA was signed by the parties on March 15, 2003 and has
        continued in effect without amendment.

        It States the following:

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          West Contra Costa Unified School District
          Bond Management Team
          1300 Potrero Avenue
          Richmond, CA 94804
          Main: (510) 412-5657
          Fax: (510) 412-5661
          January 17, 2006
          MEETING MINUTES
          Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
          Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
          Project 0120900.12 / 4800
          MEETING DATE: January 11, 2006
          ATTENDEES
          Charles Ramsey, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
          District Board of Trustees
          Karen Pfeifer, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
          District Board of Trustees
          Vince Kilmartin, Associate Superintendent, Operations, West Contra
          Costa Unified School
          District
          Bill Savidge, District Engineering Officer, West Contra Costa
          Unified School District
          Ted Hood, Senior Director of Bond Finance, West Contra Costa Unified
          School District
          Adrienne Blalock, Director of Bond Facilities, West Contra Costa
          Unified School District
          David Azcarraga, Chief Operations Officer, West Contra Costa Unified
          School District
          Heidi Camorongan, Director of Food Services, West Contra Costa
          Unified School District
          Rudy Gonzalez, Interim Police Chief, West Contra Costa Unified
          School District
          Lise Nance, Administrative Secretary, Bond Finance, West Contra
          Costa Unified School District
          Mike Mahoney, Oversight Committee Member, Building Trades Council
          Antonio Medrano, Vice-Chair, Bond Oversight Committee, West Contra
          Costa Unified School
          District
          Madeline Kronenberg, Parent, El Cerrito
          Michael O'Connor, CBOC
          Chuck Shinneman, Director of Sustainability and Technology, Capital
          Engineering Consultants
          Leonard McNeil, Council Member, San Pablo City Council
          Mark Kushner, CEO, Leadership Public Schools
          John Harris, Director, Leadership Public Schools, Richmond
          Jerry Simmons, Attorney at Law, Spector, Middleton, Young and
          Minney, LLP
          Alex Terman, Chief Operating Officer, Leadership Public Schools
          Terrell Miller, Design Phase Manager, Don Todd Associates, Inc.
          Lance Jackson, Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
          Karim Nassab, Deputy Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
          Kevin MacQuarrie, Master Architect, AIA, WLC Architects, Inc.
          Sisi Meng, Design Team, WLC Architects, Inc.
          Meeting Minutes
          Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
          Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
          Project 0120900.12 / 4800
          January 17, 2006
          Page 2
          ITEMS DISCUSSED
          1. Mr. Kushner, CEO of Leadership Public Schools, provided an
          introduction to their
          request for West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) to
          provide facilities.
          Mr. Simmons, Attorney, explained Proposition 39 and its effect on
          school districts and
          charter schools. It requires districts to provide facilities to
          charter schools that are
          reasonably equivalent to district schools. He maintains that
          Richmond High School
          should be used as an equivalent comparison with comparable
          facilities, not Gompers.
          Students are also to be housed in a single location. Prop 39
          requires that the District
          provide facilities that are furnished and equipped. The LPS is
          currently funding its own
          facilities and equipment needs. Mr. Simmons indicated that WCCUSD is
          out of
          compliance with the Prop 39 requirements citing the Ridgecrest court
          decision.
          Mr. Kushner would like to create a win-win situation with the
          District to get a long term
          lease for a facility and is willing to be a good partner and pay
          their fair share. He would
          prefer to reach a solution without litigation. He maintains LPS is a
          proud member of the
          WCCUSD and is performing at a high level. He indicated that Gompers
          is not up to ADA
          and seismic codes, and is not an equivalent facility. He recommended
          working together to
          find an appropriate site for the benefit of the students. Mr.
          Harris, Director of LPS School
          in Richmond, said their children are entitled to appropriate
          facilities.
          Mr. Kilmartin summarized potential solutions such as upgrading
          Gompers to meet code
          or moving LPS to Seaview Elementary School. LPS will have an
          enrollment of 500
          students, and will have soccer, basketball and baseball teams, but
          no facilities.
          Mr. Kushner indicated the bond should be used towards charter school
          facilities. LPS
          provides transportation for some of their students, most are from
          San Pablo. They would
          like a minimum 5 year lease (they are currently on a 1 year lease).
          He suggested that if
          LPS had a long term lease at Seaview Elementary School they could
          improve it and if the
          District needed it back after 10 years that could be worked through.
          Mr. Medrano
          indicated Seaview Elementary School does not have a gym. Seaview
          Elementary School
          is a better platform to build a school, it is safe, and has space.
          It could hold 500 students if
          portables were added. Mrs. Pfeifer asked why they turned down the
          Kennedy High
          School offer. It was really a three way split between facilities and
          was not workable. She
          asked if there was enough space at Kennedy, would they take it. Mr.
          Kushner indicated it
          could cause problems with the District teachers regarding salaries,
          professional
          development days, safety, etc. Mrs. Pfeifer asked that since KHS
          will have small learning
          communities would it work? Mr. Kushner indicated that if they were
          invited by the
          school it has the potential to succeed. The LPS families are trying
          to get out of KHS and
          RHS and may not want to go back there. Mrs. Pfeifer is concerned
          that reopening
          Seaview Elementary School as a school is throwing good money after
          bad. KHS is in a
          good neighborhood, has space, is close to the LPS population and
          offers a lot of facilities.
          Mr. Kushner indicated willingness to discuss it, however separation
          of the student
          populations is critical. Creating an academic culture is key to the
          LPS program.
          Mrs. Pfeifer said KHS is a very safe campus with a great principal.
          Mr. Kilmartin
          Meeting Minutes
          Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
          Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
          Project 0120900.12 / 4800
          January 17, 2006
          Page 3
          indicated that KHS will be reconstructed with the Measure J funds
          which could include
          designs for the charter school. Mr. McNeil, San Pablo Council
          Member, said that LPS has
          put its own money into its facilities and is not just taking the
          cream of the kids from the
          District. LPS has schools in Oakland, Stockton, San Jose, and
          Hayward. Ms. Kronenberg
          indicated that she works in a facility that has a wide variety of
          staff salaries and they are
          able to get along. Mr. Savidge asked if LPS has applied for state
          charter school funds.
          Mr. Terman indicated that it is a future opportunity, but it is
          based on unhoused student
          eligibility, and the District has none in this high school
          attendance area. KHS could be an
          opportunity if the District built a portable campus.
          2. Mr. Savidge introduced Mr. Shinneman of Capital Engineering
          Consultants to present
          alternative energy concepts in WCCUSD. He did an analysis of
          photovoltaic possibilities
          at El Cerrito High School which could be placed on the flat roofs.
          Two systems were
          reviewed, polycrystalline and thin film technology which is less
          efficient and takes more
          space, but is more durable, and because of the incentive programs is
          less expensive
          overall. The thin film is a whole roofing, financing and solar power
          package installed and
          maintained by the provider and would basically cost the District
          nothing. Mr. Savidge
          indicated that a demonstration polycrystalline system is being
          installed at Lupine Hills at
          no cost to the District. The vendor maintains the roof. Mr. Mahoney
          asked if the proposed
          roof system is realistic. Additional analysis is required. This is a
          piggyback contract
          system through San Diego and PSS. Mr. Ramsey asked if this
          technology could be used
          on the finished school projects? It is most cost effective to
          install the solar systems during
          construction, but they can be put on an existing roof. The thin film
          technology is the
          newest development in solar photovoltaics. Ms. Pfeifer asked if
          increasing energy costs
          were included in the projections. Mr. Shinneman was not able to
          project future costs, so a
          2.5 % escalation was included. Mr. O'Connor asked if the location of
          ECHS was
          included in the calculations and the answer is yes. Increasing the
          size of the project will
          not result in an economy of scale savings on solar installation. The
          agreement with PG&E
          is that you cannot produce more energy than you consume with net
          metering. The return
          on investment is basically the same regardless of size. The proposed
          system will produce
          about half of the current ECHS electrical load. Mr. Hood indicated
          that a large up-front
          investment to produce as much as is consumed may be worth it. Mr.
          Mahoney suggested
          looking at purchasing the system outright. To move forward with the
          Solar systems
          analysis would cost an additional $20,000.00 - $30,000.00. Mr.
          Savidge indicated that it
          is currently a seller's market so there is little room for
          negotiation.
          The Facilities Subcommittee recommended further analysis and
          proceeding
          with the development of a specific solar project.
          3. Mr. Kilmartin presented the proposal to establish police
          headquarters at Seaview
          Elementary School. Mr. Gonzalez, WCCUSD Interim Police Chief,
          provided a history of
          the various locations of the police department and the challenges
          they face because of the
          lack of a consolidated facility. Mr. Kilmartin indicated the 2003
          Audit Task Force report
          and the three recent police chiefs have recommended a police
          headquarters be built.
          Meeting Minutes
          Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
          Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
          Project 0120900.12 / 4800
          January 17, 2006
          Page 4
          Mr. Ramsey asked about the fiscal impact, which is yet to be
          determined, but should be
          fairly minimal at Seaview. The Maintenance and Operations (M&O)
          department could do
          the work. The District feels this would be an asset to the
          community. Mr. Ramsey asked
          how it would impact the LPS proposal to take Seaview. Ms. Pfeifer
          heard LPS would pay
          WCCUSD the costs it has currently put into Seaview. The District
          believes Gompers is
          an equivelent facility and that there are several workable scenarios
          to have LPS there.
          Ms. Pfeifer indicated Gompers could also work for the District Staff
          and suggested a
          master plan be developed to explore the options. Ms. Kronenberg
          likes the idea of putting
          LPS at Kennedy High School. Ms. Pfeifer requested a work shop be set
          up to fully
          discuss how to solve where staff and LPS are to go: Gompers,
          Seaview, Kennedy High
          School, or somewhere else.
          The FSC recommended tabling this item until the LPS and staff
          location
          situation is resolved.
          4. Mr. Kilmartin provided an update on M&O issues throughout the
          District. Mr. Jackson
          addressed the peeling paint issue at Verde Elementary School and
          said the Contractor will
          repair it. The Peres Elementary School dental office is not
          operational because when the
          equipment was moved back from Nystrom, parts were lost or damaged.
          The Patterson
          Dental Foundation will complete the work within 30 days. Mr.
          Azcarraga addressed that
          there are adequate funds and supplies to provide toilet paper and
          paper towels necessary
          for the schools. The local custodian is responsible for ordering
          supplies and placing them
          in the restrooms in a timely manner. M&O completed a whole series of
          projects over the
          holidays and Mr. Azcarraga will provide a list to the FSC.
          5. Ms. Blalock introduced the community kitchen process, which
          includes core committee
          group meetings and tours of the existing kitchen facilities. Ms.
          Camorongan provided
          info on the eqipment required for a Health Department Certified
          production kitchen and
          current legislative food service requirements. Mr. MacQuarrie
          presented kitchen design
          concepts and the timeline to complete the project. Ms. Pfeifer
          recommended not installing
          a dishwasher, finishing the design process, cost estimating the
          projects, and taking the
          projects back to the full board for approval. Mr. Savidge indicated
          that the community
          kitchens are not currently budgeted, but will be added to the
          Measure J Bond Program.
          Mr. Mahoney said the project cost of $5 million for 17 community
          kitchens is excessive
          and the fund raising does not warrant it. Mr. Ramsey indicated it
          was a mistake not to put
          them in, in the first place. Mr. Kilmartin said it was a decision
          made by the
          administration. Ms. Pfeifer values the communty experience of the
          fund raisers.
          END OF MINUTES
          Meeting Minutes
          Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
          Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
          Project 0120900.12 / 4800
          January 17, 2006
          Page 5
          The above represents my best interpretation of the spirit and
          content of the discussions. Please let
          me know of any requested modifications or corrections within seven
          days of receipt of these
          minutes.
          Prepared by:
          SIGNATURE ON FILE
          KEVIN A. MacQUARRIE
          Master Architect, AIA
          KAM:dr
          P1012090049-mm
          cc: Attendees
          Dr. Cynthia LeBlanc, Interim Superintendent, West Contra Costa
          Unified School District
          Karen Frison, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra Costa
          Unified School
          District
          Kaye Burnside, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra
          Costa Unified School
          District
          Dr. Howard Cohen, Regional Superintendent, Secondary, West Contra
          Costa Unified
          School District
          Alan Hersh, District Legal Services/Attorney, West Contra Costa
          Unified School District
          Ruth Vedovelli, Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Services, West
          Contra Costa Unified
          School District
          Ann Francisco, Senior Administrative Assistant, West Contra Costa
          Unified School
          District
          Isamu Yoshida, Senior Vice President, The Seville Group, Inc.

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
            People,

            The district had a chance to deal with Leadership when the district closed
            Seaview Elementary. Leadership was willing to move to Seaview but the
            district said no. The district could have moved Leadership into Seaview and
            staff into Gompers. But as I have said before this district is not about
            the kids so it is screw the kids first and then deal with an emergency by
            pushing the kids into a hole when the district is finally forced to deal
            with the kids.

            The district can still move Leadership to Seaview and the staff to Gompers,
            case closed.

            But the district won't because the district does not care about the kids as
            much as it cares about the adults and the unions who pay for the election of
            the school board members.

            If this district really cared about the kids it would put the interest of
            the kids first and the adults second but look where Leadership is currently
            and where the adults are currently (Seaview) who benefit from the money that
            directly comes into this district because of the kids some who are currently
            in Gompers. Now tell me when you look at this current housing of kids and
            adults do you really think this district thinks about the kids safety and
            welfare first as this district continually espouses.

            If our current Superintendent really wants to show this community that he
            cares for the kids he has the power to make this move. Kids to Seaview,
            staff to Gompers. I just remembered one reason given as to why the move was
            good for the administrative staff to Seaview, that all the fragmented groups
            of people in all the departments would be closer together. Look where
            Gompers and the Administration building are in relationship to each other.
            Moving all the staff to Gompers would be within walking distance of the
            Super. Much more convenient for the ADULTS. Just another supporting factor
            for the move.

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
              --Well said Kevin.