Plan to move Leadership to Kennedy

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
      From the West County Times:

      Hundreds of high school students march to protest district plan

      Posted on Thu, Nov. 30, 2006
      "About 400 Kennedy High School students walked out of class this morning
      and marched to the West Contra Costa district office building in
      Richmond to protest a plan to move Leadership Public High School
      students to the Kennedy campus next year. . . .The district announced to
      Kennedy faculty and staff Monday that it plans to move all of the 450 to
      500 students at Leadership charter school onto Kennedy's campus to be in
      compliance with Proposition 39, which requires districts to provide
      adequate facilities for charter schools."

      You can read the whole article here:
      http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/16133269.htm
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2006
        Does anyone know more about this? Who decided: the staff or the
        Facilities Subcommittee? There is some room at Kennedy. The only
        displacing I saw mentioned -- in the photo caption -- was the
        "possibility" of Kappa, the attached continuation school, moving.
        Where would it go, if it had to go?

        Charley Cowens

        On 11/30/06, Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:
        > From the West County Times:
        >

        > Hundreds of high school students march to protest district plan
        >
        > Posted on Thu, Nov. 30, 2006
        > "About 400 Kennedy High School students walked out of class this morning
        > and marched to the West Contra Costa district office building in
        > Richmond to protest a plan to move Leadership Public High School
        > students to the Kennedy campus next year. . . .The district announced to
        > Kennedy faculty and staff Monday that it plans to move all of the 450 to
        > 500 students at Leadership charter school onto Kennedy's campus to be in
        > compliance with Proposition 39, which requires districts to provide
        > adequate facilities for charter schools."
        >
        > You can read the whole article here:
        > http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/16133269.htm
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • c_travlos
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          A more complete version of the article was posted this morning:
          http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/16139284.htm
          - Cathy

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            I found some iteresting information googling this. It appears the
            District has been discussing this since January 2006 and I think I
            can find a meeting April 2006 in which our new Board Member Madelyn
            Kronenberg attended.
            What I find most interesting is this Charter is due to expire June
            2007 according to :
            UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
            BEFORE THE NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS BOARD
            REGION 32
            LEADERSHIP PUBLIC SCHOOLS, INC.
            Employer-Petitioner
            and Case 32-RM-800
            on May 5, 2006 it States the following:

            After a public hearing, and after the Employer-Petitioner made the
            required changes to its proposed charter, the Employer-Petitioner's
            charter to operate LPS-Richmond was approved by WCCUSD on February
            27, 2003. The charter was granted for four years and will expire on
            June 30, 2007, prior to which time the Employer-Petitioner must
            submit an application to WCCUSD for renewal of its charter in order
            to continue operating LPS-Richmond as a public charter school. The
            terms of the ASA were finalized subsequent to the approval of the
            charter. The ASA was signed by the parties on March 15, 2003 and has
            continued in effect without amendment.

            It States the following:

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
              West Contra Costa Unified School District
              Bond Management Team
              1300 Potrero Avenue
              Richmond, CA 94804
              Main: (510) 412-5657
              Fax: (510) 412-5661
              January 17, 2006
              MEETING MINUTES
              Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
              Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
              Project 0120900.12 / 4800
              MEETING DATE: January 11, 2006
              ATTENDEES
              Charles Ramsey, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
              District Board of Trustees
              Karen Pfeifer, Board Member, West Contra Costa Unified School
              District Board of Trustees
              Vince Kilmartin, Associate Superintendent, Operations, West Contra
              Costa Unified School
              District
              Bill Savidge, District Engineering Officer, West Contra Costa
              Unified School District
              Ted Hood, Senior Director of Bond Finance, West Contra Costa Unified
              School District
              Adrienne Blalock, Director of Bond Facilities, West Contra Costa
              Unified School District
              David Azcarraga, Chief Operations Officer, West Contra Costa Unified
              School District
              Heidi Camorongan, Director of Food Services, West Contra Costa
              Unified School District
              Rudy Gonzalez, Interim Police Chief, West Contra Costa Unified
              School District
              Lise Nance, Administrative Secretary, Bond Finance, West Contra
              Costa Unified School District
              Mike Mahoney, Oversight Committee Member, Building Trades Council
              Antonio Medrano, Vice-Chair, Bond Oversight Committee, West Contra
              Costa Unified School
              District
              Madeline Kronenberg, Parent, El Cerrito
              Michael O'Connor, CBOC
              Chuck Shinneman, Director of Sustainability and Technology, Capital
              Engineering Consultants
              Leonard McNeil, Council Member, San Pablo City Council
              Mark Kushner, CEO, Leadership Public Schools
              John Harris, Director, Leadership Public Schools, Richmond
              Jerry Simmons, Attorney at Law, Spector, Middleton, Young and
              Minney, LLP
              Alex Terman, Chief Operating Officer, Leadership Public Schools
              Terrell Miller, Design Phase Manager, Don Todd Associates, Inc.
              Lance Jackson, Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
              Karim Nassab, Deputy Program Manager, The Seville Group, Inc.
              Kevin MacQuarrie, Master Architect, AIA, WLC Architects, Inc.
              Sisi Meng, Design Team, WLC Architects, Inc.
              Meeting Minutes
              Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
              Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
              Project 0120900.12 / 4800
              January 17, 2006
              Page 2
              ITEMS DISCUSSED
              1. Mr. Kushner, CEO of Leadership Public Schools, provided an
              introduction to their
              request for West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) to
              provide facilities.
              Mr. Simmons, Attorney, explained Proposition 39 and its effect on
              school districts and
              charter schools. It requires districts to provide facilities to
              charter schools that are
              reasonably equivalent to district schools. He maintains that
              Richmond High School
              should be used as an equivalent comparison with comparable
              facilities, not Gompers.
              Students are also to be housed in a single location. Prop 39
              requires that the District
              provide facilities that are furnished and equipped. The LPS is
              currently funding its own
              facilities and equipment needs. Mr. Simmons indicated that WCCUSD is
              out of
              compliance with the Prop 39 requirements citing the Ridgecrest court
              decision.
              Mr. Kushner would like to create a win-win situation with the
              District to get a long term
              lease for a facility and is willing to be a good partner and pay
              their fair share. He would
              prefer to reach a solution without litigation. He maintains LPS is a
              proud member of the
              WCCUSD and is performing at a high level. He indicated that Gompers
              is not up to ADA
              and seismic codes, and is not an equivalent facility. He recommended
              working together to
              find an appropriate site for the benefit of the students. Mr.
              Harris, Director of LPS School
              in Richmond, said their children are entitled to appropriate
              facilities.
              Mr. Kilmartin summarized potential solutions such as upgrading
              Gompers to meet code
              or moving LPS to Seaview Elementary School. LPS will have an
              enrollment of 500
              students, and will have soccer, basketball and baseball teams, but
              no facilities.
              Mr. Kushner indicated the bond should be used towards charter school
              facilities. LPS
              provides transportation for some of their students, most are from
              San Pablo. They would
              like a minimum 5 year lease (they are currently on a 1 year lease).
              He suggested that if
              LPS had a long term lease at Seaview Elementary School they could
              improve it and if the
              District needed it back after 10 years that could be worked through.
              Mr. Medrano
              indicated Seaview Elementary School does not have a gym. Seaview
              Elementary School
              is a better platform to build a school, it is safe, and has space.
              It could hold 500 students if
              portables were added. Mrs. Pfeifer asked why they turned down the
              Kennedy High
              School offer. It was really a three way split between facilities and
              was not workable. She
              asked if there was enough space at Kennedy, would they take it. Mr.
              Kushner indicated it
              could cause problems with the District teachers regarding salaries,
              professional
              development days, safety, etc. Mrs. Pfeifer asked that since KHS
              will have small learning
              communities would it work? Mr. Kushner indicated that if they were
              invited by the
              school it has the potential to succeed. The LPS families are trying
              to get out of KHS and
              RHS and may not want to go back there. Mrs. Pfeifer is concerned
              that reopening
              Seaview Elementary School as a school is throwing good money after
              bad. KHS is in a
              good neighborhood, has space, is close to the LPS population and
              offers a lot of facilities.
              Mr. Kushner indicated willingness to discuss it, however separation
              of the student
              populations is critical. Creating an academic culture is key to the
              LPS program.
              Mrs. Pfeifer said KHS is a very safe campus with a great principal.
              Mr. Kilmartin
              Meeting Minutes
              Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
              Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
              Project 0120900.12 / 4800
              January 17, 2006
              Page 3
              indicated that KHS will be reconstructed with the Measure J funds
              which could include
              designs for the charter school. Mr. McNeil, San Pablo Council
              Member, said that LPS has
              put its own money into its facilities and is not just taking the
              cream of the kids from the
              District. LPS has schools in Oakland, Stockton, San Jose, and
              Hayward. Ms. Kronenberg
              indicated that she works in a facility that has a wide variety of
              staff salaries and they are
              able to get along. Mr. Savidge asked if LPS has applied for state
              charter school funds.
              Mr. Terman indicated that it is a future opportunity, but it is
              based on unhoused student
              eligibility, and the District has none in this high school
              attendance area. KHS could be an
              opportunity if the District built a portable campus.
              2. Mr. Savidge introduced Mr. Shinneman of Capital Engineering
              Consultants to present
              alternative energy concepts in WCCUSD. He did an analysis of
              photovoltaic possibilities
              at El Cerrito High School which could be placed on the flat roofs.
              Two systems were
              reviewed, polycrystalline and thin film technology which is less
              efficient and takes more
              space, but is more durable, and because of the incentive programs is
              less expensive
              overall. The thin film is a whole roofing, financing and solar power
              package installed and
              maintained by the provider and would basically cost the District
              nothing. Mr. Savidge
              indicated that a demonstration polycrystalline system is being
              installed at Lupine Hills at
              no cost to the District. The vendor maintains the roof. Mr. Mahoney
              asked if the proposed
              roof system is realistic. Additional analysis is required. This is a
              piggyback contract
              system through San Diego and PSS. Mr. Ramsey asked if this
              technology could be used
              on the finished school projects? It is most cost effective to
              install the solar systems during
              construction, but they can be put on an existing roof. The thin film
              technology is the
              newest development in solar photovoltaics. Ms. Pfeifer asked if
              increasing energy costs
              were included in the projections. Mr. Shinneman was not able to
              project future costs, so a
              2.5 % escalation was included. Mr. O'Connor asked if the location of
              ECHS was
              included in the calculations and the answer is yes. Increasing the
              size of the project will
              not result in an economy of scale savings on solar installation. The
              agreement with PG&E
              is that you cannot produce more energy than you consume with net
              metering. The return
              on investment is basically the same regardless of size. The proposed
              system will produce
              about half of the current ECHS electrical load. Mr. Hood indicated
              that a large up-front
              investment to produce as much as is consumed may be worth it. Mr.
              Mahoney suggested
              looking at purchasing the system outright. To move forward with the
              Solar systems
              analysis would cost an additional $20,000.00 - $30,000.00. Mr.
              Savidge indicated that it
              is currently a seller's market so there is little room for
              negotiation.
              The Facilities Subcommittee recommended further analysis and
              proceeding
              with the development of a specific solar project.
              3. Mr. Kilmartin presented the proposal to establish police
              headquarters at Seaview
              Elementary School. Mr. Gonzalez, WCCUSD Interim Police Chief,
              provided a history of
              the various locations of the police department and the challenges
              they face because of the
              lack of a consolidated facility. Mr. Kilmartin indicated the 2003
              Audit Task Force report
              and the three recent police chiefs have recommended a police
              headquarters be built.
              Meeting Minutes
              Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
              Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
              Project 0120900.12 / 4800
              January 17, 2006
              Page 4
              Mr. Ramsey asked about the fiscal impact, which is yet to be
              determined, but should be
              fairly minimal at Seaview. The Maintenance and Operations (M&O)
              department could do
              the work. The District feels this would be an asset to the
              community. Mr. Ramsey asked
              how it would impact the LPS proposal to take Seaview. Ms. Pfeifer
              heard LPS would pay
              WCCUSD the costs it has currently put into Seaview. The District
              believes Gompers is
              an equivelent facility and that there are several workable scenarios
              to have LPS there.
              Ms. Pfeifer indicated Gompers could also work for the District Staff
              and suggested a
              master plan be developed to explore the options. Ms. Kronenberg
              likes the idea of putting
              LPS at Kennedy High School. Ms. Pfeifer requested a work shop be set
              up to fully
              discuss how to solve where staff and LPS are to go: Gompers,
              Seaview, Kennedy High
              School, or somewhere else.
              The FSC recommended tabling this item until the LPS and staff
              location
              situation is resolved.
              4. Mr. Kilmartin provided an update on M&O issues throughout the
              District. Mr. Jackson
              addressed the peeling paint issue at Verde Elementary School and
              said the Contractor will
              repair it. The Peres Elementary School dental office is not
              operational because when the
              equipment was moved back from Nystrom, parts were lost or damaged.
              The Patterson
              Dental Foundation will complete the work within 30 days. Mr.
              Azcarraga addressed that
              there are adequate funds and supplies to provide toilet paper and
              paper towels necessary
              for the schools. The local custodian is responsible for ordering
              supplies and placing them
              in the restrooms in a timely manner. M&O completed a whole series of
              projects over the
              holidays and Mr. Azcarraga will provide a list to the FSC.
              5. Ms. Blalock introduced the community kitchen process, which
              includes core committee
              group meetings and tours of the existing kitchen facilities. Ms.
              Camorongan provided
              info on the eqipment required for a Health Department Certified
              production kitchen and
              current legislative food service requirements. Mr. MacQuarrie
              presented kitchen design
              concepts and the timeline to complete the project. Ms. Pfeifer
              recommended not installing
              a dishwasher, finishing the design process, cost estimating the
              projects, and taking the
              projects back to the full board for approval. Mr. Savidge indicated
              that the community
              kitchens are not currently budgeted, but will be added to the
              Measure J Bond Program.
              Mr. Mahoney said the project cost of $5 million for 17 community
              kitchens is excessive
              and the fund raising does not warrant it. Mr. Ramsey indicated it
              was a mistake not to put
              them in, in the first place. Mr. Kilmartin said it was a decision
              made by the
              administration. Ms. Pfeifer values the communty experience of the
              fund raisers.
              END OF MINUTES
              Meeting Minutes
              Facilities Subcommittee Meeting
              Measure M Bond Program Master Planning
              Project 0120900.12 / 4800
              January 17, 2006
              Page 5
              The above represents my best interpretation of the spirit and
              content of the discussions. Please let
              me know of any requested modifications or corrections within seven
              days of receipt of these
              minutes.
              Prepared by:
              SIGNATURE ON FILE
              KEVIN A. MacQUARRIE
              Master Architect, AIA
              KAM:dr
              P1012090049-mm
              cc: Attendees
              Dr. Cynthia LeBlanc, Interim Superintendent, West Contra Costa
              Unified School District
              Karen Frison, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra Costa
              Unified School
              District
              Kaye Burnside, Regional Superintendent, Elementary, West Contra
              Costa Unified School
              District
              Dr. Howard Cohen, Regional Superintendent, Secondary, West Contra
              Costa Unified
              School District
              Alan Hersh, District Legal Services/Attorney, West Contra Costa
              Unified School District
              Ruth Vedovelli, Assistant Superintendent for Fiscal Services, West
              Contra Costa Unified
              School District
              Ann Francisco, Senior Administrative Assistant, West Contra Costa
              Unified School
              District
              Isamu Yoshida, Senior Vice President, The Seville Group, Inc.

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                People,

                The district had a chance to deal with Leadership when the district closed
                Seaview Elementary. Leadership was willing to move to Seaview but the
                district said no. The district could have moved Leadership into Seaview and
                staff into Gompers. But as I have said before this district is not about
                the kids so it is screw the kids first and then deal with an emergency by
                pushing the kids into a hole when the district is finally forced to deal
                with the kids.

                The district can still move Leadership to Seaview and the staff to Gompers,
                case closed.

                But the district won't because the district does not care about the kids as
                much as it cares about the adults and the unions who pay for the election of
                the school board members.

                If this district really cared about the kids it would put the interest of
                the kids first and the adults second but look where Leadership is currently
                and where the adults are currently (Seaview) who benefit from the money that
                directly comes into this district because of the kids some who are currently
                in Gompers. Now tell me when you look at this current housing of kids and
                adults do you really think this district thinks about the kids safety and
                welfare first as this district continually espouses.

                If our current Superintendent really wants to show this community that he
                cares for the kids he has the power to make this move. Kids to Seaview,
                staff to Gompers. I just remembered one reason given as to why the move was
                good for the administrative staff to Seaview, that all the fragmented groups
                of people in all the departments would be closer together. Look where
                Gompers and the Administration building are in relationship to each other.
                Moving all the staff to Gompers would be within walking distance of the
                Super. Much more convenient for the ADULTS. Just another supporting factor
                for the move.

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                  --Well said Kevin.