[Fwd: Nov. 30 e-Weekly]

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Nov. 30 e-Weekly
      Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:09:01 -0800
      From: Paul Ehara <Paul.Ehara@...>
      To: Paul Ehara <Paul.Ehara@...>

      To view the complete WCCUSD e-Weekly for November 30, 2006 -- including photos -- go to:

      ==================
      WCCUSD e-Weekly
      November 30, 2006
      www.wccusd.k12.ca.us

      Japanese Students Visit for Shimada/Richmond Sister-City Program

      [Photo: A Shimada student addresses the crowd during the welcoming ceremony at DeJean Middle School. Above, bottom: Shimada ambassadors are greeted at Kennedy High School by friendship ambassador and Kennedy senior Cassandra Salisbury.]
      .
      The West Contra Costa Unified School District and Shimada, Japan are celebrating their continuing relationship by sending groups of student ambassadors and chaperones across the Pacific for an extended visit. The festivities continued on Tuesday, November 28, when 243 students and 14 chaperones from Shimada High School arrived in Richmond. The Shimada ambassadors were welcomed at DeJean Middle School with performances by the El Cerrito High School marching band and cheerleaders. Speakers included Richmond Mayor Irma Anderson, WCCUSD Regional Superintendent Wendell Greer, and student representatives from both Kennedy and Shimada high schools. The Shimada students were then escorted to all six of the district high schools, where they were greeted by their host students and given tours of the facilities.

      The cities of Richmond and Shimada, Japan have been sister cities for the past 45 years. The cities have built and continue to enjoy a relationship based on cultural and interpersonal exchange by means of student visits and friendship ambassador programs throughout the year. The relationship has expanded to include all of the cities within the West Contra Costa Unified School District. For more information please contact Laurie Roberts at Laurie.Roberts@....

      Kindergarten Registration and Intradistrict Transfer Begin in January

      Kindergarten registration for the West Contra Costa Unified School District begins on January 8, 2007. Registration will take place at each district elementary school at 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Families of incoming kindergarteners should bring proof of age (must be 5 by December 2, 2007), birth certificate or baptismal record, proof of immunizations, and proof of residence.

      Some schools will offer morning and afternoon kindergartens. Parents registering their children in Spanish or Mien may receive assistance January 3-31, 2007, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at the RAP Center, 230 Harbour Way South, Room 10A, Richmond, CA, 94801. To download the registration form or more information please go to http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/Transfer/kindergarten_registration.shtml or call (510) 232-8050.

      Intradistrict transfer applications for all grades will be accepted from January 8 to January 31, 2007. No priority will be given for early applications. Applications can be obtained at any school, the district Transfer office, or on the district website at http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/Transfer/transfer_applications.shtml. Completed applications should be mailed or delivered to the Student Transfer Office, 5000 Patterson Circle, Room 257, Richmond, CA 94805, or faxed to (510) 232-6389. For more information please contact the Student Transfer Office at (510) 232-6325.

      Sheldon Kindergarteners Give Thanksgiving Performance

      [Photo: Kindergarten students perform at Sheldon Elementary’s Thanksgiving Performance.]

      District Invites public to Community Open House on December 5, 2006

      The public is invited to drop in and give input on key educational issues as part of a performance evaluation of the West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD). The purpose of the Open House is to identify exemplary district programs and practices, and to receive input on how the district can save funds, improve management, and increase efficiency and effectiveness to provide a quality education for all WCCUSD students. The Open House will be held at the Riverside Elementary School multi-purpose room, 1300 Amador Street in San Pablo, Calif., and will include two drop-in hours. From 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. district central office and department staffs are invited to drop by and give feedback; and from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. the general public is invited to do the same.

      Participants will be able to give feedback in small groups, or by writing comments on chart pads or notepaper. Any and all commendations, recommendations, opinions, and concerns are encouraged. The efficiency review is being completed by MGT of America, an educational consultant firm, and is paid for by an outside grant.

      Superintendent’s Message for December 2006 Now Online

      WCCUSD Superintendent Bruce Harter’s message to the WCCUSD communities for December 2006 is now available on the district website at http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/superintendent/index.shtml.

      Middle College Students Bring Harvest Festival to Highland Elementary

      [Photo: Middle College student Brittany King and a Highland student visit the face painting station.]

      On November 17 the leadership class at Middle College High School sponsored a Harvest Festival at Highland Elementary School. Middle College students led games and activities for approximately 50 students in Highland’s after school program. Activities included a reading corner, pin-the-tail-on-the-turkey, face painting, and assorted arts and crafts. The Highland students also received prizes and new books. Middle College High School plans to hold similar events at other district elementary schools in the future. For more information please contact Steve Hoffman at (510-703-6272).

      Holiday Area Music Festivals

      The West Contra Costa Unified School District presents its annual holiday area music festivals. This series of free concerts features performances by elementary, middle and high school bands, as well as a number of school orchestras and choirs. The performance schedule is as follows:

      > El Cerrito Area Festival
      Portola Middle School, November 30, 2006, 7:30 p.m.
      > Richmond/Kennedy Area Festival
      Richmond High School Little Theater, December 12, 7:30 p.m.
      > Hercules High School Choir and Orchestra Concert
      Hercules High School Gym, December 12, 7:30 p.m.
      > Hercules Middle/High School Band and Orchestra Winter Festival
      Hercules High School Gym, December 13, 7:30 p.m.
      > DeAnza Area Festival
      De Anza High School Gym, December 13, 7:30 p.m.
      > Pinole Valley Area Festival
      Pinole Valley High School Gym, December 14, 7:30 p.m.

      For more information please contact Janis Lieberman at Janis.Lieberman@....

      Tara Hills Students Explore American Revolution

      [Photo: Costumed Tara Hills students ponder the geography of the United States in colonial days.]

      California Weekly Explorer brought its Walk Through History presentation to Tara Hills Elementary School on Monday, November 27. The theme of the day was Walk Through the American Revolution-students dressed up in colonial-era costumes, and presenter Mike Jones led them through a series of activities and character parts that required learning lines, facts and vocabulary words about the American Revolution. The presentation covers the years between the Proclamation of 1763 and the Treaty of Paris in 1783. California Weekly Explorer is an educational company that uses dramatization and performance to enhance history education while also complying with state curriculum standards. For more information please contact Laura Casdia at (510) 724-3454. For more information about California Weekly Explorer please go to http://www.californiaweekly.com.

      Upcoming Committee Meetings

      The following district committees have upcoming meetings:

      Safety Committee, December 12, 2006
      Committee website- http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/committees/safety/

      New on the District Website

      The following documents are now available for viewing and downloading on the district website:

      Kindergarten Registration Forms-http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/Transfer/kindergarten_registration.shtml
      Interdistrict Transfer Forms-http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/Transfer/transfer_applications.shtml
      UPS Shipment Request Form-http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/purchasing/PDF/ups_shipment_request.pdf

      ABOUT THE e-WEEKLY
      The WCCUSD e-Weekly is produced by the West Contra Costa Unified District Communications and Community Engagement Office, (510) 231-1132. Share your news with us by e-mailing Communications Coordinator Mike Jung at michael.jung@.... To subscribe or unsubscribe, e-mail paul.ehara@.... Pass on this invitation to join our mailing list to other employees, students, family members and community members. You are welcome to share information from this publication and the district website (http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us) through print publications such as newsletters, as well as electronically.