Re: Portola MS

  • Karen Calarco
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 21, 2006
      Sharon, you had down Monday the 21st, but the meeting is tonight :-)

      One of the alternatives floated at earlier brainstorming meetings on
      Portola included a mix of solutions - one of which was the expansion
      of some feeder elementary schools to K-8. Apparently, this wasn't
      included when scenarios where presented last week, and Bill Savidge
      said since Karen Pfeiffer said she "didn't want to revisit K-8s" it
      was taken off the table. It doesn't seem right that one board member
      can effectively kill further review of this option, despite its
      support in the community, especially when it might turn out to be
      part of one of the more cost-effective fixes.

      Karen Calarco

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon J." <sejohnson@...> wrote:

      > Jill,
      > We posted all the meeting dates on the Harding website because they
      > are being held in Harding's new auditorium, which is currently being
      > shared with ECHS.
      >
      > Here's the web item:
      >
      > HARDING TO HOST DISTRICT MEETINGS:
      >
      > A series of meetings to get community input on how the West Contra
      > Unified School district will renovate or rebuild Portola Middle
      School
      > will be held in the new Harding auditorium.
      >
      > Here are the meeting dates:
      > Monday, October 9 at 7 pm
      > Thursday, October 19, 7 pm
      > Tuesday, November 14, 7 pm
      > Monday, November 21, 7 pm
      > Monday, December 11, 7 pm

      > I haven't been able to attend any of them so can't give you a report
      > on what's been discussed.
      >
      > Rumor has it that ALL options are currently being considered
      including
      > but not limited to:
      >
      > 1. rebuilding the middle school on one of the current El Cerrito
      > elementary school sites
      >
      > 2. adding a 7th & 8th grade to ECHS
      >
      > 3. approving some K-8's at elementary schools in Richmond and El
      > Cerrito (and possibly Kensington?) that feed into Portola
      >
      > Also, none of these ideas are mutually exclusive. Essentially, they
      > may approve a few K-8's and rebuild a smaller middle school or add a
      > 7th and 8th grade to ECHS.
      >
      > My understanding is that they would gather ideas during October,
      > present some scenarios in November for public comment, and make a
      > decision in December. At least that's how I interpreted the letter
      > from Dr. Harter that went home to all current parents in the
      Portola draw.

      > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does anyone know when the next community meeting is for
      discussion as
      > > to what to do about Portola Middle School?
      > > Also has anyone attended any of the meeting and would like to
      post
      > > comments?
      > > Thanks in Advance,
      > >
      > > Jill

    • marikosdad95
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
        Can anyone explain why the Castro site was not considered in the
        Oxbridge report? (For a link to the report, go to
        http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/construction/Facilities/Portola/07_25_info_packet.shtml.)
        Thanks.

        David Whitenack
      • Mark Wood

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
            The better question is why has Adams not been considered. At one
            point Adams housed over 1400 students so it should have the room...
            Also Adams was once the school that El Cerrito residents transfered
            into because it was better then Portola. Kevin Rivard could give you
            more information on this. I was not around at that time.
            Jill
            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "marikosdad95" <davidwhitnack@...>
            wrote:

            > Can anyone explain why the Castro site was not considered in the
            > Oxbridge report? (For a link to the report, go to

            http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/construction/Facilities/Portola/07_25_info_
            packet.shtml.)
            > Thanks.
            >
            > David Whitenack

          • Francie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
              Hi, Jill -
              I keep Adams' enrollment figures with all of my library data. Just
              checked and the highest enrollment was 1,111 students in 1997-1998.
              When enrollments were that high every single room was used for
              classroom space and several teachers had to share rooms. One year our
              Spanish teacher had all of her stuff on a cart and used a different
              room each period.

              Our enrollment fluctuated from 1,000 to 1,111 until fall 2003 when
              Lovonya DeJean MS opened. Kevin, Scottie and I all had children who
              attended Adams together at the end of its magnet school era. In those
              days enrollment was capped at 1065. You are correct, during that time
              students did transfer to Adams from all parts of the district because
              of the programming and its designation as a Gifted & Talented Magnet
              School. That program has ended and we are currently a Title I
              neighborhood school.

              Adams' enrollment for the upcoming school year was 950 when summer
              vacation began. I'm not sure how many adds/drops have come in during
              the past month but we're planning for over 900 students. I can't
              imagine where the Portola students would be housed if the two schools
              would be combined.

              Francie Kunaniec

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
                Thank You Francie! I received my data from the California
                Departmetn of Education. I am confused as to why the difference.
                Jill

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
                  My mistake. I must of been thinking Helms. I just checked it was o
                  1103 in 2000-2001. I still think Adams should be considered.
                  Why was Adams Magnet discontinued?
                  Jill
                  wrote:

                  > Thank You Francie! I received my data from the California
                  > Departmetn of Education. I am confused as to why the difference.
                  > Jill
                  > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Francie" <fdkunaniec@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi, Jill -
                  > > I keep Adams' enrollment figures with all of my library data.
                  Just
                  > > checked and the highest enrollment was 1,111 students in 1997-
                  > 1998.
                  > > When enrollments were that high every single room was used for
                  > > classroom space and several teachers had to share rooms. One
                  year
                  > our
                  > > Spanish teacher had all of her stuff on a cart and used a
                  > different
                  > > room each period.
                  > >
                  > > Our enrollment fluctuated from 1,000 to 1,111 until fall 2003
                  when
                  > > Lovonya DeJean MS opened. Kevin, Scottie and I all had children
                  > who
                  > > attended Adams together at the end of its magnet school era. In
                  > those
                  > > days enrollment was capped at 1065. You are correct, during that
                  > time
                  > > students did transfer to Adams from all parts of the district
                  > because
                  > > of the programming and its designation as a Gifted & Talented
                  > Magnet
                  > > School. That program has ended and we are currently a Title I
                  > > neighborhood school.
                  > >
                  > > Adams' enrollment for the upcoming school year was 950 when
                  summer
                  > > vacation began. I'm not sure how many adds/drops have come in
                  > during
                  > > the past month but we're planning for over 900 students. I can't
                  > > imagine where the Portola students would be housed if the two
                  > schools
                  > > would be combined.
                  > >
                  > > Francie Kunaniec
                  > >

                  > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > The better question is why has Adams not been considered. At
                  > one
                  > > > point Adams housed over 1400 students so it should have the
                  > room...
                  > > > Also Adams was once the school that El Cerrito residents
                  > transfered
                  > > > into because it was better then Portola. Kevin Rivard could
                  > give you
                  > > > more information on this. I was not around at that time.
                  > > > Jill

                • Francie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 24, 2007
                    I'm sure Kevin can add more to the list of reasons but among them were
                    changes in district administration, the neighbors' annoyance that their
                    children could not attend Adams which was their nearest school
                    (everyone had to apply & there was a huge waiting list), and general
                    resentment that Adams pulled in 1065 GATE students from every
                    elementary school, which left the other middle schools with fewer GATE
                    students. This was before DeJean & Hercules Middle High opened so the
                    middle schools were quite full.