[Fwd: November 16 e-Weekly]

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: November 16 e-Weekly
      Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:00:58 -0800
      From: Paul Ehara <Paul.Ehara@...>
      To: Paul Ehara <Paul.Ehara@...>

      To view the complete WCCUSD e-Weekly for November 16, 2006 -- including photos -- go to:

      WCCUSD e-Weekly
      November 16, 2006
      www.wccusd.k12.ca.us

      ELD Students Lead Panel Discussion on Violence at Adams Diversity Day

      [Photo: An Adams student shares his thoughts on violence during the Diversity Day panel discussion.]

      Adams Middle School celebrated its first annual Diversity Day on Monday, November 13, 2006. ELD teacher Saveth Soun and her students organized a panel discussion about ending violence in schools, neighborhoods, and cities. Participants included Adams Principal Julian Szot, Contra Costa County Supervisor John Gioia, Richmond Police Corporal Larry Lewis, Reading First Director Harlan Kerr, Board of Education member Karen Fenton, Community Engagement Coordinator Marin Trujillo, Assistant Superintendent of Student Support Services and Safety Alan Del Simone, Familias Unidas Youth Program Coordinator Lucia Melano, and Landrin Kelly, founder of the Terrance Kelly Youth Foundation. The panel was facilitated by Adams students Mabeyli Pool and Juan Campos. The panel examined the causes of violence and brainstormed creative solutions for stopping violence, including halting gun sales, creating more after school opportunities for students, and continuing the anti-violence discussion on the school and community levels. The class is planning another panel for January 2007. For more information please contact Saveth Soun at savethsoun@....

      Holiday Area Music Festivals

      The West Contra Costa Unified School District presents its annual holiday area music festivals. This series of free concerts features performances by elementary, middle and high school bands, as well as a number of school orchestras and choirs. The performance schedule is as follows:

      > El Cerrito Area Festival
      Portola Middle School, November 30, 2006, 7:30 p.m.
      @ Richmond High School Little Theater, December 12, 7:30 p.m.
      > Hercules High School Choir and Orchestra Concert
      Hercules High School Gym, December 12, 7:30 p.m.
      > Hercules Middle/High School Band and Orchestra Winter Festival
      Hercules High School Gym, December 13, 7:30 p.m.
      > De Anza Area Festival
      De Anza High School Gym, December 13, 7:30 p.m.
      > Pinole Valley Area Festival
      Pinole Valley High School Gym, December 14, 7:30 p.m.

      For more information please contact Janis Lieberman at Janis.Lieberman@....

      Community Leaders Lend a Hand at Richmond High’s African-American Summit

      [Photo: Students and mentors meet-and-greet at Richmond High School’s African-American Summit.]

      On November 9, 2006 at 10:30 a.m. Richmond High School hosted a busy and successful African-American Summit for the school’s 107 male African-American students. The event, which attracted a significant media presence, was designed to provide those students an opportunity to meet and greet with adult community members and develop mentor relationships with them. Approximately 100 professional African-American men teamed up with students and provided advice, encouragement, and support. Attendees heard from a variety of speakers, including a closing address from Dr. McKinley Williams, the first African-American president in the history of Contra Costa College. During the meet-and-greet session students and mentors munched on pizza while getting to know each other.

      “This is an excellent opportunity for young African-American men of this city and school to be embraced by the community,” said mentor Reverend William Randolph. “We need to do everything we can to empower them to succeed, especially in an environment where failure is the expected norm.”

      “The mentors are going to help this community,” said Richmond freshman Marcello Hopkins, who made a point of speaking with as many mentors as possible. “It’s hard to come to school and get things done when you have drugs and gangs to worry about in the streets, but I think this is really going to help us.”

      For more information please contact Richmond High School Principal Orlando Ramos at (510) 237-8770 or Orlando.Ramos@....

      Olinda Students Visit Guide Dogs for the Blind

      [Photo: Olinda third-graders say hello to Briggs, a puppy-in-training at San Rafael’s Guide Dogs for the Blind.]

      Third grade students from Olinda Elementary School were introduced to a longtime tradition of service when they visited Guide Dogs for the Blind, a non-profit residential and training facility for guide dogs in San Rafael. November 9 was Puppy Day at the facility, which was originally founded after World War II to provide guide dogs to soldiers who lost their sight in combat. Tour guides took the students throughout the 11-acre campus, including the residence hall, kitchen, veterinary clinic, and kennels. The children spent some time with a puppy-in-training and were led through the puppy’s typical training routine. They also learned about different breeds, the responsibilities of a guide dog, the challenges faced by the legally blind, and the process of acquiring a guide dog. For more information on Guide Dogs for the Blind please call the San Rafael office at (415) 499-4000, or go to the Guide Dogs for the Blind website at www.guidedogs.com.

      Playmaking Project Stages Work by El Cerrito High Students

      Aspiring playwrights from El Cerrito High School will have their work performed onstage by the Playmaking Project on Friday, November 17 at 7:00 p.m. Modeled after the 52nd Street Project in New York City, the Playmaking Project is a project of the Berkeley Repertory School of Theatre which provides young writers with the opportunity to see their work performed by professional actors before a live audience. During this 2-week residency Berkeley Rep staff provide support and coaching as the students learn to respond to their creative impulses, develop characters, and place the characters into dramatic situations. At the end of the residency the plays are performed by professional stage performers. The performance will be held at the Harding Elementary School Theatre, 7230 Fairmount Ave. in El Cerrito, and is free of charge. For more information about the performance please contact the El Cerrito High School Community Project at (510) 524-8252. For more information about the Playmaking Project please contact the Berkeley Rep School of Theatre at (510) 647-2972, or go to http://www.berkeleyrep.org/school/educator_playmaking.asp.

      Rochester Hosts Science Competition for Students with Hearing Loss

      Students with hearing loss in grades 6-11 are invited to compete in the second annual Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) National Science Fair for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students. The creators of the winning science project will win up to $500 in cash awards, a plaque, and other prizes. Middle school and high school students can compete individually or in teams of two or three. To qualify, students must submit an entry form and project summary of up to 500 words. Qualifying students will be invited to attend the Science Fair, April 27-29, 2007, at the RIT campus in Rochester, NY. Rochester Institute of Technology is home to the National Technical Institute for the Deaf, where more than 1,100 students with hearing loss from around the world study, live, and socialize with 14,400 hearing students.

      For an entry form, acceptance criteria, display regulations and a schedule of activities at the fair, please go to
      www.rit.edu/NTID/ScienceFair. The deadline to submit project summaries is February 1, 2007. For more information, contact ScienceFair@... or call (585) 475-6723 (v/TTY). For more information about the National Technical Institute for the Deaf please go to http://www.rit.edu/NTID/newsroom.

      New Hercules Library Welcomes Lupine Hills Students

      [Photo: Lupine Hills kindergarteners take a look at the Hercules Public Library’s “Wavy Wall.”]

      A day after its grand opening celebration the new Hercules Public Library opened its doors to two kindergarten classes from Lupine Hills Elementary. Joyce Tanaka and Soledad Singer’s classes were the first to make a field trip to the new library, and they were treated to a detailed tour of the new facility at 111 Civic Drive in Hercules. The children enjoyed flopping into the many beanbag chairs in the library, and also admired features such as the fireplace, children’s library area, “Story Cone,” “Wavy Wall,” and outdoor walkway. For more information please contact the Hercules Public Library at (510) 245-2420.

      Upcoming Committee Meetings

      The following district committees have upcoming meetings:

      GATE District Advisory Committee, November 27, 2006
      Committee website - http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/GATE/committee/
      Community Budget Advisory Committee, November 28, 2006
      Committee website - http://www.baysidepta.org/wccusdcbac/
      Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee, November 29, 2006
      Committee website - http://www.wccusd-bond-oversight.com/

      New Safety Measures in Place for Employees during Off-hours

      All employees entering all district sites after hours, holidays and weekends are now required to notify the Safety and Disaster Preparedness Office at (510) 231-1115 by 4:00 p.m. of the previous workday. All employees must have permission from their site administrator to enter during off-hours. A list of employees, times they will be at the site, and a contact phone number must be sent to district dispatch. Employees are to notify dispatch at (510) 232-3474 before entering a site and after leaving. Site visits that are not pre-authorized and logged with dispatch will be treated as intrusions.

      National Children’s Book Week

      The Children’s Book Council has declared November 13-19 as National Children’s Book Week. For more information please go to the Children’s Book Council website at http://www.cbcbooks.org/cbw.

      Downtown Richmond Holiday Festival

      Sponsored by the Richmond Main Street Initiative, the Downtown Richmond Holiday Festival will take place on Friday, December 1, 2006, 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. at the corner of Macdonald and 11th in Richmond. The event will include refreshments, gifts for children, live music, a holiday tree lighting, and a chance to meet Santa Claus. For more information please contact Daniel Ponce at (510) 918-4593 or Daniel_Ponce@....

      ABOUT THE e-WEEKLY
      The WCCUSD e-Weekly is produced by the West Contra Costa Unified District Communications and Community Engagement Office, (510) 231-1132. Share your news with us by e-mailing Communications Coordinator Mike Jung at michael.jung@.... To subscribe or unsubscribe, e-mail paul.ehara@.... Pass on this invitation to join our mailing list to other employees, students, family members and community members. You are welcome to share information from this publication and the district website (http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us) through print publications such as newsletters, as well as electronically.