Re: [wccusdtalk] Antonio's Candidacy

  • Roberto Reyes
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi Dave...it's me roberto reyes. thank you for
      re-addressing the fact that this district refuses to
      recognize the need for Latinos on this cabinet. As you
      know I have made it known for awhile about the lack of
      Latinos at the leadership level...especially at the
      cabinet level. Please don't let this go. Call upon me
      if you need. thanks.

      roberto
      --- Dave Brown <dbrown247@...> wrote:

      > What is absolutely startling to me is how many
      > people in this District
      > who steadfastly maintain that they are for diverse
      > representation have
      > not endorsed Antonio's campaign.
      >
      > There are NO Latino school board members and NO
      > Latino cabinet
      > members. And yet over 40% (and growing) of our
      > students are Latino.
      >
      > On top of that, Antonio is supported by the Latino
      > community and its
      > leadership. Moreover, he is a retired bilingual
      > educator who would
      > help the District tremendously with our struggle to
      > help educate
      > immigrant students.
      >
      > How can you be for diversity, representation and
      > empowerment if you
      > won't support Antonio's campaign - an honest,
      > hard-working,
      > compassionate man who has done so much for the kids
      > of our district?
      >
      > It is to Antonio's credit that he quickly apologized
      > for what happened
      > with Karen Pfeifer's endorsement. However, I imagine
      > it was honest
      > mistake on his part, since many individuals had,
      > months ago, told him
      > verbally that they supported him, only to later pull
      > that support.
      >
      > Antonio does not owe anyone an apology. However,
      > those who espouse
      > liberal, pro-diversity ideology but have failed to
      > endorse Antonio's
      > campaign owe the Latino community a huge apology.
      >
      > -dave brown

      (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
    • troubled_h2o
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
        Dear Mr. Dave Brown-
        You are already an elected official. You have the bully pulpit of your
        office and endorsement cash to use to influence voters. How about you
        STAY OFF of the Internet message boards set up for private citizens to
        discuss their issues!!!
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2006
          I start my e-mail reading by deleting all the garbage and then start from
          the top and work down.

          Adrian, I just read your post ranting about signage and FREE SPEECH and now
          i read this post with you are wanting to shut down Dave's free speech. I
          guess it depends upon who's ox is being gored if free speech should or
          should not be allowed. Interesting.

          Kevin

          >From: "troubled_h2o" <axharris@...>
          >To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: Antonio's Candidacy
          >Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 21:27:24 -0000
          >
          >Dear Mr. Dave Brown-
          >You are already an elected official. You have the bully pulpit of your
          >office and endorsement cash to use to influence voters. How about you
          >STAY OFF of the Internet message boards set up for private citizens to
          >discuss their issues!!!

          Get today's hot entertainment gossip
          http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
            Where was this public apology?
            Cathy

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
              Cathy we are not all privy to all the information, but Charley Cowan
              posted this on this talk group an Email he received from Antonio.
              You are correct I don't see an apology, but that Antonio admits he
              made a mistake. Personally I admire people that admit their
              mistakes
              Antonio Wrote :
              11/1/2006 10:13 AM
              <<
              Also something else, Years ago when Karen P. first declared her
              intent to run she asked me: " Antonio, If you run I will not run but
              if you do not then I will run." At that time I was on the Grand Jury
              of the county and could not run for public office but I supported her
              for her run for the school board. I asked her early in my campaign,
              if she would support me and I thought that she would. I was wrong.
              She does not support me or anyone endorsed by the Teacher's Union.So
              please spread the word, I was in error, I AM NOT ENDORSED BY KAREN
              PFEIFER. I made a mistake and my flyers , etc. have a mistake on
              them, SHE DOES NOT ENDORSE ANTONIO MEDRANO.
              I will send this out to my e-mail list.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
                Most people take endorsements very seriously. I look at them when
                deciding how to vote. All the current board members had specific
                confirmation from people before listing them as an endorsement i the
                previous elections. It puts your name and personal reputation on the
                line and nobody, including the candidates, takes that lightly.

                Even if you like someone personally, even if you've supported them in
                the past, it doesn't mean you endorse them. And if a candidate is
                currently aligned with groups with whom you disagree and is making
                public statements that are on the opposite side of yours, you certainly
                wouldn't want your name on their campaign literature.

                And sorry, I don't think a personal email to Charley is a public
                apology. I wouldn't accept that from my own kids and I expected more
                from Antonio.

                Cathy

              • troubled_h2o
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
                  Antonio owes no one an apology. He didn't even put out the flyer that
                  falsely claimed the trustee's endorsement. It was put out by the
                  union, and they know with absolutely clarity what the law is. And the
                  law is, they are not permitted to discuss with the candidate an
                  independent flyer that they put out with their memberships' soft-
                  money.

                  So, before putting out an election piece for Antonio Medrano, they
                  should have called and verified the endorsers and, preferably, obtained
                  a signed endorsement card from each of them.

                  Think about that when you weigh the value of the WCCUSD union
                  endorsements.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2006
                    --Dave:

                    I thought about what you wrote and came to this conclusion. One should not vote because of the race, sex, religion, or party of a candidate. One should vote for a candidate because of their positions on issues of concern to them and how the candidate stands on those issues. Taking what you said into account and looking at the population of this district, your position tells me I must vote for Charles Ramsey, because he would be the only African American on the Board and would represent the African American students in this district. Also, because there are to many whites on the Board now, we all should be looking at the next election for an Asian.

                    One can be for diversity, but does not have to take the first thing that is thrown out at you, not to say what Antonio will or will not do. I believe the focus should be on the best candidates to offer leadership for ALL students in this district, that is what I try to do in my work and expect the same from Board members.

                    From: Cathy Travlos <cbt@...>
                    > Where was this public apology?
                    > Cathy
                    >
                    > Dave Brown wrote:
                    >
                    > > What is absolutely startling to me is how many people in this District
                    > > who steadfastly maintain that they are for diverse representation have
                    > > not endorsed Antonio's campaign.
                    > >
                    > > There are NO Latino school board members and NO Latino cabinet
                    > > members. And yet over 40% (and growing) of our students are Latino.
                    > >
                    > > On top of that, Antonio is supported by the Latino community and its
                    > > leadership. Moreover, he is a retired bilingual educator who would
                    > > help the District tremendously with our struggle to help educate
                    > > immigrant students.
                    > >
                    > > How can you be for diversity, representation and empowerment if you
                    > > won't support Antonio's campaign - an honest, hard-working,
                    > > compassionate man who has done so much for the kids of our district?
                    > >
                    > > It is to Antonio's credit that he quickly apologized for what happened
                    > > with Karen Pfeifer's endorsement. However, I imagine it was honest
                    > > mistake on his part, since many individuals had, months ago, told him
                    > > verbally that they supported him, only to later pull that support.
                    > >
                    > > Antonio does not owe anyone an apology. However, those who espouse
                    > > liberal, pro-diversity ideology but have failed to endorse Antonio's
                    > > campaign owe the Latino community a huge apology.
                    > >
                    > > -dave brown
                    > >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Samuel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2006
                      I have taken the time to read all the postings I could find related
                      to Mr. Medrano and his current candidacy for WCCUSD School Board.
                      After reviewing them all, I believe that what is in question is what
                      type of person is worthy of people's respect, trust and in this
                      current setting- their vote. I was particularly caught by the theme
                      of "expectations." Sadly expectations are often unmet. This is what
                      I expect of Mr. Medrano since he decided to run for the WCCUSD Board.

                      I expect Mr. Medrano to spend countless hours urging seniors at
                      Kennedy and Richmond High to take the AP Spanish Language Literature
                      class because he believes in the students, even when many others may
                      not and to have in his first attempt over 60 students take the class
                      and have 55 pass the AP test; or to have in the second year 125 take
                      the test and 105 pass it. And to never take credit for being
                      instrumental in this, simply to get it done and continue working.

                      I expect Mr. Medrano to visit multiple parent clubs in the Richmond
                      and San Pablo schools (how many current WCCUSD board members have
                      done that I wonder.) having him be one of the most recognizable faces
                      in my community, more so then any current sitting WCCUSD board member
                      in my opinion.

                      I expect Mr. Medrano to spend his time in countless meetings helping
                      make our community better, some of the groups I expect him to join
                      include:
                      AARP-Pinole
                      Montalving Manor Redevelopment
                      Bond Oversight Committee
                      Service Learning Advisory Committee
                      Local Capacity Building program
                      SSC-Montalvin
                      SSC-Helms
                      Concilio Latino
                      Ed Fund Board
                      Educators Network Amnesty International- Speakers Bureau
                      Education Advisor- PIQE

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano to be a man of integrity and dedication to
                      freedom and democracy. And I would expect him to prove to me that
                      such integrity and dedication is not a current strategy to get votes,
                      but to have been in action for many years before even deciding to run…
                      perhaps in the 1980's- traveling to the New Nicaragua with the
                      literacy brigade and spending 3 months in a Nicaragua prison as a
                      prisoner of conscious.

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano to not be deterred from his commitment to
                      democracy and continue even after such hardships. To use what he had
                      learned and use it create more good- such as helping Amnesty
                      International develop their human rights curriculum and help inspect
                      six elections.

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano be a role model for others going to places
                      where a man like Mr. Medrano's father would have not been found
                      to "belong," or ever expected to be part of- such as the Contra Costa
                      Grand Jury Commission.

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano to be a personal advocate for the
                      countless families who do not have a voice in our system. To give
                      his home and cell phone number to all who ask it and make himself
                      available at any time of the day to help those in need of navigating
                      our often beaurocratic and unfriendly educational system.

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano to reject the offer of a large
                      construction firm to donate $15, 000 for his campaign. For Mr.
                      Medrano to suggest to such firm to instead donate the funds to The Ed
                      Fund to start a scholarship (they did not like that suggestion).

                      I would expect Mr. Medrano if he was truly a man of the community to
                      fund his campaing mainly through donations by his friends and by the
                      community he has served.

                      In summary I would expect Mr. Medrano to be a man of action and
                      integrity. Luckily for me and the WCCUSD community Mr. Medrano has
                      clearly done this already.

                      Y finalmente, esperaría que todos los candidatos de la mesa directiva
                      del distrito escolar de WCCUSD pudieran hablar una de las tantas
                      lenguas que hablan los estudiantes de este distrito escolar, de poder
                      convivir con las familias de estos estudiantes y comunicarles por su
                      propia boca cuales son sus aspiraciones y sus compromisos para
                      mejorar la educación y vida de todos nuestros niños.

                      Translation:

                      And finally, I would expect all wccusd board members could speak one
                      of the many other languages that are spoken in our district. To be
                      able to partake with the families of our students and communicate
                      with their own words and their own mouths what their aspirations and
                      commitments are to improve the education and lives of all of our
                      children.

                      To the comment about thinking of equity and how it relates or does
                      not to the faces of our public servants, I agree, do not let race be
                      a determinant, rather judge someone for their character, for their
                      ability to get things done, for their ability to relate and
                      understand the needs of our community. Having said that, finding a
                      bilingual Latino/a to fit that description is not hard at all, in
                      fact our inability to capitalize on such an untapped resource simply
                      reflects our ineptness, uncreative and sadly-slightly frighten
                      reality.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
                        Scottie,

                        I believe that since diversity and inclusion seems to be what is number one
                        in almost everyone's book for representatives on the school board I believe
                        we should increase the Board to a number of about 75. Then we should have a
                        representative of every religion, every cult type belief, every sexual
                        preference, every age group, every ethnicity, every skin color, every
                        nationality and of course every language spoken in the district. Then every
                        native speaker would be provided an interpreter and of course the district
                        would provide headsets in the audience area for all the different languages
                        spoken at the board meetings so any one from the public can feel included by
                        listening through their headsets to an interpreter for each of the board
                        members.

                        Sounds like an organization that is already in place in New York doesn't it,
                        and we all know how well that organization gets along.

                        When this community decides that a qualified person does not need to be this
                        or that and just needs to have one focus, the complete and total education
                        of a child in a safe and educationally supported environment then perhaps
                        Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream of skin coloring not being an issue will
                        live on. But as long as diversity and inclusion mean the number one issue is
                        ethnicity and skin color Dr. King's message will remain an illusion.

                        Kevin

                        trip!
                        http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline
                      • Diamel@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
                          Dave, I am an NEA Diversity Cadre trainer. Politics and voting decisions should not be based solely on diversity. Some candidates tend to go with the wrong slates.

                          Mel Collins

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 6, 2006
                            Dave,
                            Though I agree that Antonio is a wonderful man, I would not vote for him because of his skin color. I would vote for him because of what he stands for and what he can do for ALL the children of this district. Frankly of late, I am beginning to wonder if you are thinking about ALL the kids or whatever can make the latest news headline.
                            Tammy Campbell

                            Dave Brown <dbrown247@...> wrote:
[...]

                            Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
                            Pinole CARE
                            Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
                            Pinole Valley High School Boosters
                            Pinole Middle School Site Council President
                            Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
                            2668 Alhambra Way
                            Pinole, CA 94564
                            Home: 510-223-3857
                            Work: 510-486-4460
                            Fax: 510-222-4643
                            Pager: 510-425-3192
                            Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

                            Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
                            Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
                            Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
                            Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
                            Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
                            Pinole CARE: parents@...
                            WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

                          • Dave Brown
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2006
                              Tammy,

                              I can understand why you might feel that way, especially given all the
                              headlines, etc. However, I'm not sure you understand what I'm all
                              about. But that's probably more my fault than anything else.

                              In truth, I do have a "strategy" to fundamentally transform our
                              schools that has nothing to do with headlines. And despite all
                              appearances to the contrary, there is, in fact, a common thread to the
                              work that I'm doing and the issues that I have put forth. Maybe we can
                              talk about this at some point.

                              For the record, I would never stipulate that ethnicity or gender
                              should be the only criteria for a candidate. Nor should it necessarily
                              be the main criteria. However, I do believe it is a critical factor if
                              we are truly committed to diversity -- especially in terms of
                              representation and empowerment of all communities (which I believe we
                              need if we are ever to be a world-class district).

                              Antonio earned my support because of his unwavering commitment to our
                              kids, his tremendous experience in the classroom and his unflinching
                              integrity and openness.

                              Nevertheless, it's important to realize that Antonio's candidacy
                              cannot be taken in a vacuum. With Latinos soon to be the majority in
                              our schools, the fact that we have no Latino Board members and no
                              Latino cabinet members would have to give pause to some folks. At
                              least it does for me.*

                              -db

                              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell