Re: Candidates and Funding

  • Karen Calarco
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 13, 2006
      The board approved a phasing schedule last Novemeber. Later the
      Hercules city council and/or mayor appeared (before CBOC? the
      Facilities subcommittee?) and asked that Ohlone be moved up from
      Phase 3 to Phase 2 (presumably realizing there will be no money left
      for Phase 3) because Hercules is giving x millions in Measure J and
      should get something back. The Facilities subcommitte (Ramsey and
      Pfeiffer voting) approved that request, though my understanding is
      that it will go to the board for a vote in December after more
      discussion in November. If approved, that change knocks 2 schools
      (Valley View and Fairmont) out of Phase 2 down to Phase 3, according
      to Program Update reports posted on the CBOC site. To me, this is
      politics, not "health and safety issues".

      Maybe I'm wrong though? I haven't heard that there are health and
      safety issues at Ohlone that trump those at the other schools just
      that Hercules thinks they should get something out of Measure J. I'm
      still trying to learn more about this issue given that my kids'
      school is going to be affected.
      -Karen Calarco

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Studdiford" <robert@...>
      wrote: ... The order of schools repaired is determined by the health
      and safety issues at each school.----
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 14, 2006
        It's all politics. From the day of Lavonya Dejean Middle School's inception
        it has been all politics. Gary Freschi the original, "Vince Kilmartin", and
        I mean that in, position only, not in any stretch of the imagination in
        equal character, Gary said he could deliver a school for $20,000,000 but
        with the board voting against then Superintendent Johnston the Board decided
        to build a state of the art school that ended up costing over $45,000,000
        and the building cost overrides continue to this day because of politics.
        One good example are the community kitchens. This district in order to prop
        up the district's central kitchen decided without community input not to
        build kitchens at the renovated schools. Thus the schools were totally
        dependent on the central kitchen for the food served at the local schools
        and no food prep from outside sources would be allowed at the schools. The
        district original rational was the county health department would not allow
        it. When the community found out there would be no hot dog days, spaghetti
        feeds pot luck dinners allowed they put POLITICAL pressure on the Board for
        kitchens. Now the district says kitchen are a great idea just in case of an
        emergency, earthquake, flood or forest fires. Little sarcasm there, sorry.
        So now all the future and past renovated schools will now have kitchens with
        no mention about the county health department, except now a consultant will
        be hired to teach PTA moms how to cook correctly so they will not poison the
        public like they do their own families (sarcasm again). But the money part
        is where this decision is so devastating. It will cost more money to go back
        and install the kitchens in the now renovated schools due to lack of
        previous planning but in the new renovations it will be part of the new
        budget so it will not be seen as cost overruns. This is one way how the
        district keeps so much of the overruns in disguise.

        Back to Lavonya De Jean, Gary Freschi had shown the Board how to keep the
        costs down, the Board did not like his approach and replaced him with a
        person that would do their bidding. Thus you get a 2 and 1/2 times original
        cost school. This has continued as the Board continued to increase costs
        with a more expensive approach continually giving rational that was not
        presented to the general public.

        As far as a previous posting stating that people were hard to find to
        volunteer on the original Citizen's Bond Oversight Committee (CBOC) I would
        like to let you know I believe the problem was in finding people that would
        follow, lock stock, the Districts whims. I approached Board members that I
        would like to be on the committee. I was never asked to be on it originally.
        It was not until the Special Education Committee, the CAC, was given a slot
        that through them I was elected onto the committee.

        The original CBOC was chaired by District personnel and the foundation for
        the CBOC was written and approved by people who made sure the CBOC had no
        power. When being formulated the CBOC could have had more teeth put into the
        founding document but it now is an entity that in my opinion listens and
        nods its collective head. Many of our own documents that we voted on and
        approved at our "Independent" meetings that were to go to the Board had to
        go through Vince Kilmartin and the wording that was approved by the CBOC
        mysteriously changed from our meetings, to the documents voted on by the
        Board. We actually had to take a vote at a meeting that the CBOC would have
        a role in creating the agendas for our meetings and that vote to create our
        own agendas had to be approved by the School Board.

        Come to the CBOC meetings, they are open to the public and see how very
        little ACTIVE participation there is from the CBOC members as opposed to
        REACTION to the districts presentations and you will see what real teeth the
        Committee has or does not have.

        This is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the CBOC or
        any of its membership or that of any of the affiliates of the district or
        vendors or members of this forum ..........
        Kevin Rivard
        CBOC member representing the CAC

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 14, 2006
          Another instance in which politics played a part is
          that of the transfer of building funds from Downer to
          El Cerrito. Only after the community of Downer
          marched from the corner of 18th and Sanford to the
          school board meeting were the funds transferred back
          to Downer. The problems of asbestos, rats, poor to no
          heating, broken windows, substandard
          facilites,drinking fountains and bathrooms in
          particular, and sewage backups in the 500 wing through
          which students had to tramp in order to get into their
          classrooms was well know; but politics had the funds
          go to El Cerrito until politics brought them back to
          Downer.

          At the only CBOC meeting that I attended, Anton Juger
          took issue with the fact that the committee was being
          used to endorse another bond. His contention was that
          the role of the committee was/is to make sure that the
          money already obtained through bonds be administered
          well, not to endorse new bonds. Endorsing new bonds
          is politics and should not be the purvue of the CBOC.
          Robert Studdiford seems to be part of the CBOC that
          should be, not the one that is.

          Eduardo

          --- Karen Calarco <karenlynnc@...> wrote:

          > The board approved a phasing schedule last
          > Novemeber. Later the
          > Hercules city council and/or mayor appeared (before
          > CBOC? the
          > Facilities subcommittee?) and asked that Ohlone be
          > moved up from
          > Phase 3 to Phase 2 (presumably realizing there will
          > be no money left
          > for Phase 3) because Hercules is giving x millions
          > in Measure J and
          > should get something back. The Facilities
          > subcommitte (Ramsey and
          > Pfeiffer voting) approved that request, though my
          > understanding is
          > that it will go to the board for a vote in December
          > after more ,
          > discussion in November. If approved, that change
          > knocks 2 schools
          > (Valley View and Fairmont) out of Phase 2 down to
          > Phase 3, according
          > to Program Update reports posted on the CBOC site.
          > To me, this is
          > politics, not "health and safety issues".
          >
          > Maybe I'm wrong though? I haven't heard that there
          > are health and
          > safety issues at Ohlone that trump those at the
          > other schools just
          > that Hercules thinks they should get something out
          > of Measure J. I'm
          > still trying to learn more about this issue given
          > that my kids'
          > school is going to be affected.
          > -Karen Calarco
          >

          > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Robert
          > Studdiford" <robert@...>
          > wrote: ... The order of schools repaired is
          > determined by the health
          > and safety issues at each school.----

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Rebecca Hazlewood
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 14, 2006
            Amen!!!!!

            Kevin has succinctly synthesized the problem with
            the Bond program. I have been gamely trying to point
            out the original flaw, lack of a sound facilities plan
            based on engineering studies; priorities developed by
            a citizen committee with teeth (a walk through is not
            planning) that has allowed for all this back door
            spending.

            Rebecca Hazlewood

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 15, 2006
              Everyone,
              I have not chimed in for a while because the health and welfare of Pinole Valley High has all my attention.

              Kevin is right in many of his statements, but let me remind you that we have a new superintedent (the days of Gloria Johnston are gone-thank goodness), we have a new infrastructure coming into place, and we have a bond oversight committee that is made up of very vocal citizen's who are doing their job and being heard. We can continue to rehash the past or we can speak of the future and make it happen for the kids. Kevin knows my PollyAnna ways and though the past is important to learn from, it should not be the reason to hold us back from moving forward.

              I encourage people to attend the bond oversight committee meetings. Participation and education on the issues is utmost if we are to move forward in the right direction. Kudos to all those committee members for their countless hours. I appreciate their efforts.
              Tammy Campbell

> [...]

              >Pfeiffer voting) approved that request, though my understanding is
              >that it will go to the board for a vote in December after more
              >discussion in November. If approved, that change knocks 2 schools
              >(Valley View and Fairmont) out of Phase 2 down to Phase 3, according
              >to Program Update reports posted on the CBOC site. To me, this is
              >politics, not "health and safety issues".
              >
              >Maybe I'm wrong though? I haven't heard that there are health and
              >safety issues at Ohlone that trump those at the other schools just
              >that Hercules thinks they should get something out of Measure J. I'm
              >still trying to learn more about this issue given that my kids'
              >school is going to be affected.
              >-Karen Calarco
              >

              >--- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Studdiford" <robert@...>
              >wrote: ... The order of schools repaired is determined by the health

              Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
              Pinole CARE
              Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
              Pinole Valley High School Boosters
              Pinole Middle School Site Council President
              Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
              2668 Alhambra Way
              Pinole, CA 94564
              Home: 510-223-3857
              Work: 510-486-4460
              Fax: 510-222-4643
              Pager: 510-425-3192
              Email: Tammera.Campbell@...

              Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
              Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
              Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
              Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
              Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
              Pinole CARE: parents@...
              WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 15, 2006
                The posts below illustrate the weakness of the e-mail.

                Sometimes I will create an e-mail and because I know what I am thinking I
                neglect to re-read the e-mail and see how it could be interpreted by someone
                who is reading it from another perspective.

                In Adrienne's post I took from her post that she was talking about the
                current Board race and since there is but one incumbent she was referring
                the Charles Ramsey.

                Eduardo, I can see how you could read into Adrienne's post what you did
                because there is no specific person mentioned by name in her post and I can
                see how Adrienne would interpret your post as criticizing her grammar when
                all you were trying to figure out was who she was talking about.

                These two posts are a good example of why everyone should re-read their
                e-mails before sending and try and imagine this was the first time you read
                it and try and read from another perspective to see if your e-mail could be
                misinterpreted. Now you can see why a newspaper editor is so valuable. He or
                she must read and edit a story so the news can be read by a variety of
                people and hope the majority of people will get the same message from the
                story. Or you can see how a good editor could slant the story with a few
                well chosen words.

                I found it amusing and worrisome at the same time how the posts below could
                cause such consternation.

                Anyway, so much or my editorial comments.

                Kevin