Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: WCCUSD televised candidates' forum

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
      Francie-

      You did use the plural. This is one thing. "not one single dollar" is
      a publicly unverifiable statement to make anyway, since the the public
      reporting threshold is $100(?). I think a better description for
      Anton's statement than being a misrepresentation or a lie is: "Not
      completely right, but basically correct." $500 out of $85,000 is about
      0.58% Whether it (how much and from whom) should matter and, if so,
      how much it should matter are, of course, questions that people can
      discuss. And don't forget Madeline Kronenberg has a similar
      fundraising profile as of the last reporting deadline. It's not just a
      Ramsey issue.

      In the meantime, the last pre-election filing deadline has passed, so
      I'll get that info up soon.

      Charley Cowens

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
        Well, I just got back from the County Elections Office and I really
        need to lie down now after looking at the numbers. But, first let me
        give you the totals (scans will be up later):

        TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED Year to Date as of Oct. 5, 2006 Filing
        Ramsey 132,600
        Kronenberg 75,314
        Medrano 12,187
        Miles 2,921
        Meade 2,876

        The County Elections Office is not set up well for research, but I had
        time to look back in a more error-prone way at the previous election
        in 2004 up to the end of year filings by sifting through the
        originals:

        Brown 38,518 (includes independent UTR PAC 5,929)
        Pfeifer 32,855 (includes independent UTR PAC 5,919)
        Harris 25,063
        Cobb 2,740

        Charley Cowens

        On 10/10/06, jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:
        > The issue of the rules being followed or broken at the
        > candidate forum are certainly important for democracy.
        > Mr Junghher's method of raising the financing issue
        > may be dubious, but the issue is important
        > nonetheless.
        >
        > I think anyone who advocates a free and open democracy
        > should be concerned. A race for 3 school board seats
        > has 8 candidates. Six have raised/spent under $1000.
        > One, a relative newcomer policitcally, has raised over
        > $45,000.
        >
        > And one candidate has a relatively HUGE warchest, over
        > $86000 as of June, and I'm sure much more now. Over
        > 30 unions and construction firms have donated.
        >
        > Why did the electrical workers union in Pasadena give
        > $30,000? Did that money REALLY come from Pasadena area
        > electrical workers? (By the way, the Seville Group has
        > a Pasadena address too, not that there is any
        > connection).
        >
        > The question that concerns me as a voter and taxpayer
        > is, what exactly are all these unions and contractors
        > trying to buy?
        >
        > Jim Cowen

      • Francie
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
          Sorry you had such a long day, Charley. Your hard work is
          appreciated!

          So what exactly is the "independent UTR PAC"? Is it the money taken
          from our mandatory dues that we have no control over or a separate
          fund?

          Francie (curious UTR member)

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
            Yes, I would say so. Remember, though, the majority of the money in
            the implicit meta-PAC that supports the bond campaigns (through For
            the Children of West County, I believe), Charles, and Madeline is also
            derived from compulsory union dues.