Candidates and funding

  • jim cowen
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
      The issue of the rules being followed or broken at the
      candidate forum are certainly important for democracy.
      Mr Junghher's method of raising the financing issue
      may be dubious, but the issue is important
      nonetheless.

      I think anyone who advocates a free and open democracy
      should be concerned. A race for 3 school board seats
      has 8 candidates. Six have raised/spent under $1000.
      One, a relative newcomer policitcally, has raised over
      $45,000.

      And one candidate has a relatively HUGE warchest, over
      $86000 as of June, and I'm sure much more now. Over
      30 unions and construction firms have donated.

      Why did the electrical workers union in Pasadena give
      $30,000? Did that money REALLY come from Pasadena area
      electrical workers? (By the way, the Seville Group has
      a Pasadena address too, not that there is any
      connection).

      The question that concerns me as a voter and taxpayer
      is, what exactly are all these unions and contractors
      trying to buy?

      Jim Cowen

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
        Francie-

        You did use the plural. This is one thing. "not one single dollar" is
        a publicly unverifiable statement to make anyway, since the the public
        reporting threshold is $100(?). I think a better description for
        Anton's statement than being a misrepresentation or a lie is: "Not
        completely right, but basically correct." $500 out of $85,000 is about
        0.58% Whether it (how much and from whom) should matter and, if so,
        how much it should matter are, of course, questions that people can
        discuss. And don't forget Madeline Kronenberg has a similar
        fundraising profile as of the last reporting deadline. It's not just a
        Ramsey issue.

        In the meantime, the last pre-election filing deadline has passed, so
        I'll get that info up soon.

        Charley Cowens

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
          Well, I just got back from the County Elections Office and I really
          need to lie down now after looking at the numbers. But, first let me
          give you the totals (scans will be up later):

          TOTAL CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED Year to Date as of Oct. 5, 2006 Filing
          Ramsey 132,600
          Kronenberg 75,314
          Medrano 12,187
          Miles 2,921
          Meade 2,876

          The County Elections Office is not set up well for research, but I had
          time to look back in a more error-prone way at the previous election
          in 2004 up to the end of year filings by sifting through the
          originals:

          Brown 38,518 (includes independent UTR PAC 5,929)
          Pfeifer 32,855 (includes independent UTR PAC 5,919)
          Harris 25,063
          Cobb 2,740

          Charley Cowens

          On 10/10/06, jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:
          > The issue of the rules being followed or broken at the
          > candidate forum are certainly important for democracy.
          > Mr Junghher's method of raising the financing issue
          > may be dubious, but the issue is important
          > nonetheless.
          >
          > I think anyone who advocates a free and open democracy
          > should be concerned. A race for 3 school board seats
          > has 8 candidates. Six have raised/spent under $1000.
          > One, a relative newcomer policitcally, has raised over
          > $45,000.
          >
          > And one candidate has a relatively HUGE warchest, over
          > $86000 as of June, and I'm sure much more now. Over
          > 30 unions and construction firms have donated.
          >
          > Why did the electrical workers union in Pasadena give
          > $30,000? Did that money REALLY come from Pasadena area
          > electrical workers? (By the way, the Seville Group has
          > a Pasadena address too, not that there is any
          > connection).
          >
          > The question that concerns me as a voter and taxpayer
          > is, what exactly are all these unions and contractors
          > trying to buy?
          >
          > Jim Cowen

        • Francie
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
            Sorry you had such a long day, Charley. Your hard work is
            appreciated!

            So what exactly is the "independent UTR PAC"? Is it the money taken
            from our mandatory dues that we have no control over or a separate
            fund?

            Francie (curious UTR member)

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 10, 2006
              Yes, I would say so. Remember, though, the majority of the money in
              the implicit meta-PAC that supports the bond campaigns (through For
              the Children of West County, I believe), Charles, and Madeline is also
              derived from compulsory union dues.