Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: WCCUSD Campaign 2006

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 20, 2006
      Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?

      Charley Cowens

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 20, 2006
        I've now updated the PTA's campaign overview page with the figures and
        donor lists from the financial reports on file with the County. I had
        to scan in the relevant pages, but it wasn't too hard because for
        WCCUSD and JSUSD there are exactly two candidates who have filed as of
        7/31. :) (Oct. 5 is the last pre-election filing deadline for this
        kind of information.)

        Madeline Kronenberg $45,464
        Charles Ramsey $86,250

        This seems like a lot of money for a school board election. (Remember,
        there may be even more coming in for them.) I always thought
        10,000-20,000 was the right amount for a "serious" mainstream-style
        School Board campaign, but maybe that's not right. Are there any
        people on the list who are more familiar with financing this kind of
        local campaign?

        Charles Ramsey's large amount may not actually get spent down that
        much if he's gearing up for Loni Hancock's termed-out Assembly seat in
        2008. (For you history buffs, the other person in the Demo primary
        when the seat was open, besides Charles and Loni, was Dave Brown.) I'm
        assuming "Friends of Charles Ramsey" can just hold funds from
        year-to-year as long as the appropriate reports are filed. Is this
        right?

        :-?
        Charley Cowens

        On 9/13/06, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
        > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
        >
        > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
        >
        > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on the 18th
        > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
        > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
        >
        > Charley Cowens

      • ladyluvslife67
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
          Hi Charley,
          I had to work, sure hope I can make one of the
          remaining forums.
          Thanks too for the reminders to the list
          AMEDINA

          <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

          > Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?
          >
          > Charley Cowens
          >
          > On 9/18/06, c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
          > > Just a reminder:
          > >
          > > Candidate Forum
          > > Tonight 9/18/2006
          > > Southside Improvement Group Plus One
          > > Easter Hill Church
          > > 3911 Cutting Blvd.
          > > Richmond
          > > 7:15-9:00 p.m.
          > >
          > > Charley Cowens
          > >
          > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"
          > > <charley.cowens@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
          > > >
          > > > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on
          the 18th
          > > > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
          > > > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
          > > >
          > > > Charley Cowens
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Marilyn Langlois
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
            Alicia and others--

            Remember, the West County League of Women Voters and Bayside PTA are doing
            forums:

            Oct. 11, 7-9 pm at Kennedy High
            Oct. 18, 7-9 pm at Hercules High
            Oct. 28, 10am-12 at De Anza High

            Mark your calendar now!

            Marilyn

            From: "ladyluvslife67" <ladyluvslife67@...>
            Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:35:31 -0000
            To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: WCCUSD Campaign 2006

            Hi Charley,
            I had to work, sure hope I can make one of the
            remaining forums.
            Thanks too for the reminders to the list
            AMEDINA

            --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Charley Cowens"
            <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

            > Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?
            >
            > Charley Cowens
            >
            > On 9/18/06, c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
            > > Just a reminder:
            > >
            > > Candidate Forum
            > > Tonight 9/18/2006
            > > Southside Improvement Group Plus One
            > > Easter Hill Church
            > > 3911 Cutting Blvd.
            > > Richmond
            > > 7:15-9:00 p.m.
            > >
            > > Charley Cowens
            > >
            > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ,
            "Charley Cowens"
            > > <charley.cowens@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
            > > >
            > > > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on
            the 18th
            > > > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
            > > > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
            > > >
            > > > Charley Cowens

          • Marilyn Langlois
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
              Correction:

              OCT. 25 at Hercules High (not the 18th)

              From: "ladyluvslife67" <ladyluvslife67@...>
              Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:35:31 -0000
              To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

            • playeredu@cs.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 21, 2006
                Hercules Candidates night is Wednesday, October 25th from 7 to 9
                pm.....
              • Susan Pricco
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Yes, Charley, these are huge amounts to spend on a school board campaign.
                  If you ask most people in the know about the amounts, they will probably
                  gasp. That has been my personal observation.

                  Of course, the WCCUSD has over 90,000 registered voters (though a very large
                  portion do not exercise that right on a regular basis). How does a
                  candidate reach them?

                  Most newcomer candidates cannot compete with that kind of fundraising. It
                  is one of the reasons that affect who wins a seat. Many candidates cannot
                  reach all the voters.

                  This is why it is very important to watch candidate forums, not just read
                  the newspapers or look for a familiar-sounding name. It is why we need to
                  listen to all the candidates, especially those who do not have the expensive
                  mailers sent to our homes. It is critically important for the well-being of
                  our student's futures that we elect the most capable people. That could
                  easily be the person with little in campaign funding (sometimes called a
                  "war chest" for obvious reasons).
                  Candidate statements on the ballot are available to all candidates.
                  Other than that, the cost-friendly options are personal appearances and
                  talking to people - but it is virtually impossible to talk to everyone.
                  This makes any forum open to all candidates an opportunity that voters shoud
                  not miss. Those that are televised are a major asset. I also suggest that
                  people try to attend more than one forum, because different questions may be
                  asked.

                  Just something to ponder: If a candidate was to send a postcard to every
                  registered voter in the WCCUSD for 35 cents each (postage, printing, cards)
                  it would cost over $31,000, and I would be hard-pressed to find a way to do
                  it for that cost.

                  Sorry to be long-winded, but I feel it is important for voters to
                  understand.

                  Sue

                  I've now updated the PTA's campaign overview page with the figures and
                  donor lists from the financial reports on file with the County. I had
                  to scan in the relevant pages, but it wasn't too hard because for
                  WCCUSD and JSUSD there are exactly two candidates who have filed as of
                  7/31. :) (Oct. 5 is the last pre-election filing deadline for this
                  kind of information.)

                  Madeline Kronenberg $45,464
                  Charles Ramsey $86,250

                  This seems like a lot of money for a school board election. (Remember,
                  there may be even more coming in for them.) I always thought
                  10,000-20,000 was the right amount for a "serious" mainstream-style
                  School Board campaign, but maybe that's not right. Are there any
                  people on the list who are more familiar with financing this kind of
                  local campaign?

                  Charles Ramsey's large amount may not actually get spent down that
                  much if he's gearing up for Loni Hancock's termed-out Assembly seat in
                  2008. (For you history buffs, the other person in the Demo primary
                  when the seat was open, besides Charles and Loni, was Dave Brown.) I'm
                  assuming "Friends of Charles Ramsey" can just hold funds from
                  year-to-year as long as the appropriate reports are filed. Is this
                  right?

                  :-?
                  Charley Cowens

                  On 9/13/06, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
                  > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
                  >
                  > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
                  >
                  > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on the 18th
                  > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
                  > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
                  >
                  > Charley Cowens

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • ladyluvslife67
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2006
                    Sue,
                    Thank you so much for your MOSt informative post.
                    Charley, you know I love you to pieces for all your
                    efforts to get the information out.

                    Sue is right on the money. Charles Ramsey will have
                    a fancy brochure in the mail - FOR SURE because he
                    is running on a long time NAME recognition. I said
                    that in an earlier post and was blasted by a Ramsey
                    supporter for it. (and a former school board member
                    by the way)
                    who also LAUGHED at the idea of following the
                    Education Code and questioned why we would expect
                    our ELECTED officials to do something like that when
                    they make a "mere pittance" of $400.00 a month.

                    Spending $86,000.00 for a job where you make a
                    "mere pittance" of $400.00 a month? Ummmm, that
                    doesn't make too much financial sense now does it?

                    Sue is right again about making INFORMED choices for
                    school board. Sue, you can search my name and read
                    my post about how I as an IGNORANT voter - voted YES
                    on parcel taxes for homeowners (cause I wasn't one)
                    and voted YES for someone like Charles Ramsey one
                    year because his name was so familiar. HA - I actually
                    voted for Karen Fenton one year just because she was
                    a WOMAN!!!! :)

                    As for getting political on this forum, Im just PEEVED
                    that posts clouded up the home page of this list and Sue's
                    post got lost - thats why Im bumping it up to the front.
                    I am not for BANNING anyone on the list (unless they get
                    obscene or attack other posters)
                    but you can certainly ignore the posts and not make more
                    posts with the subject you don't want discussed on this
                    list.

                    AMEDINA

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                      The PTA campaign Web site has been updated to include the answers to
                      the questionnaire sent out by Bayside PTA:

                      http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php

                      Charley Cowens
                    • troubled_h2o
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                        Dear Madam:
                        I am responded to your comments reproduced below. As you noted, I am a
                        FORMER elected official. As a _very_ private citizen, I no longer have
                        any legal or moral obligation to put up with personal attacks like
                        yours.

                        I did NOT laugh at the notion of following the ed code. My lol was
                        directed at Charley C. for making the effort to dig up and distribute
                        the pertinent quote. It is not at all pleasing to me at this point in
                        my life to delve into the minutiae of the ed code, and that is why I
                        did not start a huge dialog in response. However, now that you are
                        attacking me personally, I don't see that I have any choice in the
                        matter.

                        AS Charley pointed out, the ed code empowers school boards to DELEGATE
                        their responsibilities. The members of the WCCUSD school board, being
                        essentially part-time volunteers, DELEGATE most duties to full-time,
                        paid professionals. In addition, they often need to seek advice and
                        hire advisors known as consultants. Moreover, it has taken tremendous
                        courage on the part of the school board to purge malefactors in the top-
                        level ranks starting around 1997.

                        Our school district is like a huge ship. It's not easy to turn it
                        around in a hurry. A school board member who has bothered to become an
                        expert on how ANY part of the system works should not be thrown out of
                        office for trivial reasons!!

                        Furthermore, the "mere pittance" of $500/month to which you refer
                        insures that the public will never have the quality of representation
                        that is required in order to administer an organization as complex as
                        the WCCUSD. Believe me, by allowing the press and a few vocal members
                        of the public to frame the debate serves to gloss over the most
                        significant issues that should be demanding attention. One of these
                        issues is the tremendous potential for fraud in the building program.
                        Yes, cost overruns are important, but they pale next to the potential
                        for fraud.

                        Last week, I received a hefty property tax bill. My bill will go up
                        and up as the bonds are rolled out at higher and higher interest
                        rates until I'm paying as much as the cost of private school tuition.
                        Yet, not one penny of that money can be used for classroom or
                        curriculum needs. I tried to inform the public when I was on the
                        board, but the public was distracted by loud-mouths like you.

                        The teachers have representatives- they're called UTR- their union.
                        The classified employees have their union- Local one. Their
                        endorsements mean NOTHING!!! Yes, Local one members have been
                        vandalizing my house and car for a long time, but I will continue to
                        speak out. Yes, malcontents like you and Scottie Smith continue to
                        attack me, but I really will not be silenced.

                        Vote for candidates who can understand at least one issue. Vague
                        promises are worse than useless- they're dangerous. I outlined some
                        issues in a previous email which I think are worthy of consideration.
                        Is anyone talking about any of them?

                        Believe me, you can choose to trivialize what I have to say, but you do
                        so at your own peril.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                          Sorry for the typo in my previous message. Should say "responding."
                        • jim cowen
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                            I suspect that many people won't know that
                            troubled_h20 appears to be adrienne harris pitts.

                            I think even the regular posters should remember that
                            a lot of people don't know everyone. For the good of
                            the list and open dialogue, please don't post
                            anonymously.
                            Jim Cowen
                            an Olinda Parent

                            http://mail.yahoo.com