WCCUSD Campaign 2006

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 13 10:15 PM
      I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:

      http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php

      to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on the 18th
      at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
      questionnaire sent out to the candidates.

      Charley Cowens
    • c_cowens
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 18 5:15 PM
        Just a reminder:

        Candidate Forum
        Tonight 9/18/2006
        Southside Improvement Group Plus One
        Easter Hill Church
        3911 Cutting Blvd.
        Richmond
        7:15-9:00 p.m.

        Charley Cowens

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 20 5:24 PM
          Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?

          Charley Cowens

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 20 5:48 PM
            I've now updated the PTA's campaign overview page with the figures and
            donor lists from the financial reports on file with the County. I had
            to scan in the relevant pages, but it wasn't too hard because for
            WCCUSD and JSUSD there are exactly two candidates who have filed as of
            7/31. :) (Oct. 5 is the last pre-election filing deadline for this
            kind of information.)

            Madeline Kronenberg $45,464
            Charles Ramsey $86,250

            This seems like a lot of money for a school board election. (Remember,
            there may be even more coming in for them.) I always thought
            10,000-20,000 was the right amount for a "serious" mainstream-style
            School Board campaign, but maybe that's not right. Are there any
            people on the list who are more familiar with financing this kind of
            local campaign?

            Charles Ramsey's large amount may not actually get spent down that
            much if he's gearing up for Loni Hancock's termed-out Assembly seat in
            2008. (For you history buffs, the other person in the Demo primary
            when the seat was open, besides Charles and Loni, was Dave Brown.) I'm
            assuming "Friends of Charles Ramsey" can just hold funds from
            year-to-year as long as the appropriate reports are filed. Is this
            right?

            :-?
            Charley Cowens

            On 9/13/06, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
            > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
            >
            > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
            >
            > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on the 18th
            > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
            > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
            >
            > Charley Cowens

          • ladyluvslife67
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 21 10:35 AM
              Hi Charley,
              I had to work, sure hope I can make one of the
              remaining forums.
              Thanks too for the reminders to the list
              AMEDINA

              <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

              > Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?
              >
              > Charley Cowens
              >
              > On 9/18/06, c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
              > > Just a reminder:
              > >
              > > Candidate Forum
              > > Tonight 9/18/2006
              > > Southside Improvement Group Plus One
              > > Easter Hill Church
              > > 3911 Cutting Blvd.
              > > Richmond
              > > 7:15-9:00 p.m.
              > >
              > > Charley Cowens
              > >
              > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"
              > > <charley.cowens@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
              > > >
              > > > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
              > > >
              > > > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on
              the 18th
              > > > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
              > > > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
              > > >
              > > > Charley Cowens
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Marilyn Langlois
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 21 5:39 PM
                Alicia and others--

                Remember, the West County League of Women Voters and Bayside PTA are doing
                forums:

                Oct. 11, 7-9 pm at Kennedy High
                Oct. 18, 7-9 pm at Hercules High
                Oct. 28, 10am-12 at De Anza High

                Mark your calendar now!

                Marilyn

                From: "ladyluvslife67" <ladyluvslife67@...>
                Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:35:31 -0000
                To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [wccusdtalk] Re: WCCUSD Campaign 2006

                Hi Charley,
                I had to work, sure hope I can make one of the
                remaining forums.
                Thanks too for the reminders to the list
                AMEDINA

                --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "Charley Cowens"
                <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

                > Any reports from anyone who wen to the candidate forum?
                >
                > Charley Cowens
                >
                > On 9/18/06, c_cowens <c_cowens@...> wrote:
                > > Just a reminder:
                > >
                > > Candidate Forum
                > > Tonight 9/18/2006
                > > Southside Improvement Group Plus One
                > > Easter Hill Church
                > > 3911 Cutting Blvd.
                > > Richmond
                > > 7:15-9:00 p.m.
                > >
                > > Charley Cowens
                > >
                > > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com <mailto:wccusdtalk%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                "Charley Cowens"
                > > <charley.cowens@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
                > > >
                > > > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on
                the 18th
                > > > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
                > > > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
                > > >
                > > > Charley Cowens

              • Marilyn Langlois
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 21 6:16 PM
                  Correction:

                  OCT. 25 at Hercules High (not the 18th)

                  From: "ladyluvslife67" <ladyluvslife67@...>
                  Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 17:35:31 -0000
                  To: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

                • playeredu@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 21 11:18 PM
                    Hercules Candidates night is Wednesday, October 25th from 7 to 9
                    pm.....
                  • Susan Pricco
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 26 11:08 AM
                      Yes, Charley, these are huge amounts to spend on a school board campaign.
                      If you ask most people in the know about the amounts, they will probably
                      gasp. That has been my personal observation.

                      Of course, the WCCUSD has over 90,000 registered voters (though a very large
                      portion do not exercise that right on a regular basis). How does a
                      candidate reach them?

                      Most newcomer candidates cannot compete with that kind of fundraising. It
                      is one of the reasons that affect who wins a seat. Many candidates cannot
                      reach all the voters.

                      This is why it is very important to watch candidate forums, not just read
                      the newspapers or look for a familiar-sounding name. It is why we need to
                      listen to all the candidates, especially those who do not have the expensive
                      mailers sent to our homes. It is critically important for the well-being of
                      our student's futures that we elect the most capable people. That could
                      easily be the person with little in campaign funding (sometimes called a
                      "war chest" for obvious reasons).
                      Candidate statements on the ballot are available to all candidates.
                      Other than that, the cost-friendly options are personal appearances and
                      talking to people - but it is virtually impossible to talk to everyone.
                      This makes any forum open to all candidates an opportunity that voters shoud
                      not miss. Those that are televised are a major asset. I also suggest that
                      people try to attend more than one forum, because different questions may be
                      asked.

                      Just something to ponder: If a candidate was to send a postcard to every
                      registered voter in the WCCUSD for 35 cents each (postage, printing, cards)
                      it would cost over $31,000, and I would be hard-pressed to find a way to do
                      it for that cost.

                      Sorry to be long-winded, but I feel it is important for voters to
                      understand.

                      Sue

                      I've now updated the PTA's campaign overview page with the figures and
                      donor lists from the financial reports on file with the County. I had
                      to scan in the relevant pages, but it wasn't too hard because for
                      WCCUSD and JSUSD there are exactly two candidates who have filed as of
                      7/31. :) (Oct. 5 is the last pre-election filing deadline for this
                      kind of information.)

                      Madeline Kronenberg $45,464
                      Charles Ramsey $86,250

                      This seems like a lot of money for a school board election. (Remember,
                      there may be even more coming in for them.) I always thought
                      10,000-20,000 was the right amount for a "serious" mainstream-style
                      School Board campaign, but maybe that's not right. Are there any
                      people on the list who are more familiar with financing this kind of
                      local campaign?

                      Charles Ramsey's large amount may not actually get spent down that
                      much if he's gearing up for Loni Hancock's termed-out Assembly seat in
                      2008. (For you history buffs, the other person in the Demo primary
                      when the seat was open, besides Charles and Loni, was Dave Brown.) I'm
                      assuming "Friends of Charles Ramsey" can just hold funds from
                      year-to-year as long as the appropriate reports are filed. Is this
                      right?

                      :-?
                      Charley Cowens

                      On 9/13/06, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
                      > I've now updated the Bayside Council of PTAs campaign page at:
                      >
                      > http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php
                      >
                      > to list known candidate nights including the one coming up on the 18th
                      > at Easter Hill Church near Kennedy. I have also included the PTA
                      > questionnaire sent out to the candidates.
                      >
                      > Charley Cowens

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • ladyluvslife67
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 28 7:00 AM
                        Sue,
                        Thank you so much for your MOSt informative post.
                        Charley, you know I love you to pieces for all your
                        efforts to get the information out.

                        Sue is right on the money. Charles Ramsey will have
                        a fancy brochure in the mail - FOR SURE because he
                        is running on a long time NAME recognition. I said
                        that in an earlier post and was blasted by a Ramsey
                        supporter for it. (and a former school board member
                        by the way)
                        who also LAUGHED at the idea of following the
                        Education Code and questioned why we would expect
                        our ELECTED officials to do something like that when
                        they make a "mere pittance" of $400.00 a month.

                        Spending $86,000.00 for a job where you make a
                        "mere pittance" of $400.00 a month? Ummmm, that
                        doesn't make too much financial sense now does it?

                        Sue is right again about making INFORMED choices for
                        school board. Sue, you can search my name and read
                        my post about how I as an IGNORANT voter - voted YES
                        on parcel taxes for homeowners (cause I wasn't one)
                        and voted YES for someone like Charles Ramsey one
                        year because his name was so familiar. HA - I actually
                        voted for Karen Fenton one year just because she was
                        a WOMAN!!!! :)

                        As for getting political on this forum, Im just PEEVED
                        that posts clouded up the home page of this list and Sue's
                        post got lost - thats why Im bumping it up to the front.
                        I am not for BANNING anyone on the list (unless they get
                        obscene or attack other posters)
                        but you can certainly ignore the posts and not make more
                        posts with the subject you don't want discussed on this
                        list.

                        AMEDINA

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                          The PTA campaign Web site has been updated to include the answers to
                          the questionnaire sent out by Bayside PTA:

                          http://www.baysidepta.org/pages/campaign2006.php

                          Charley Cowens
                        • troubled_h2o
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Dear Madam:
                            I am responded to your comments reproduced below. As you noted, I am a
                            FORMER elected official. As a _very_ private citizen, I no longer have
                            any legal or moral obligation to put up with personal attacks like
                            yours.

                            I did NOT laugh at the notion of following the ed code. My lol was
                            directed at Charley C. for making the effort to dig up and distribute
                            the pertinent quote. It is not at all pleasing to me at this point in
                            my life to delve into the minutiae of the ed code, and that is why I
                            did not start a huge dialog in response. However, now that you are
                            attacking me personally, I don't see that I have any choice in the
                            matter.

                            AS Charley pointed out, the ed code empowers school boards to DELEGATE
                            their responsibilities. The members of the WCCUSD school board, being
                            essentially part-time volunteers, DELEGATE most duties to full-time,
                            paid professionals. In addition, they often need to seek advice and
                            hire advisors known as consultants. Moreover, it has taken tremendous
                            courage on the part of the school board to purge malefactors in the top-
                            level ranks starting around 1997.

                            Our school district is like a huge ship. It's not easy to turn it
                            around in a hurry. A school board member who has bothered to become an
                            expert on how ANY part of the system works should not be thrown out of
                            office for trivial reasons!!

                            Furthermore, the "mere pittance" of $500/month to which you refer
                            insures that the public will never have the quality of representation
                            that is required in order to administer an organization as complex as
                            the WCCUSD. Believe me, by allowing the press and a few vocal members
                            of the public to frame the debate serves to gloss over the most
                            significant issues that should be demanding attention. One of these
                            issues is the tremendous potential for fraud in the building program.
                            Yes, cost overruns are important, but they pale next to the potential
                            for fraud.

                            Last week, I received a hefty property tax bill. My bill will go up
                            and up as the bonds are rolled out at higher and higher interest
                            rates until I'm paying as much as the cost of private school tuition.
                            Yet, not one penny of that money can be used for classroom or
                            curriculum needs. I tried to inform the public when I was on the
                            board, but the public was distracted by loud-mouths like you.

                            The teachers have representatives- they're called UTR- their union.
                            The classified employees have their union- Local one. Their
                            endorsements mean NOTHING!!! Yes, Local one members have been
                            vandalizing my house and car for a long time, but I will continue to
                            speak out. Yes, malcontents like you and Scottie Smith continue to
                            attack me, but I really will not be silenced.

                            Vote for candidates who can understand at least one issue. Vague
                            promises are worse than useless- they're dangerous. I outlined some
                            issues in a previous email which I think are worthy of consideration.
                            Is anyone talking about any of them?

                            Believe me, you can choose to trivialize what I have to say, but you do
                            so at your own peril.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 2, 2006
                              Sorry for the typo in my previous message. Should say "responding."
                            • jim cowen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2006
                                I suspect that many people won't know that
                                troubled_h20 appears to be adrienne harris pitts.

                                I think even the regular posters should remember that
                                a lot of people don't know everyone. For the good of
                                the list and open dialogue, please don't post
                                anonymously.
                                Jim Cowen
                                an Olinda Parent

                                http://mail.yahoo.com