Re: Does it matter who gets elected?

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hello There
      I am a parent, and one person who voted YES on all those
      taxes you homeowners pay for the rebuilding of our schools.
      As I look back, my only reason for voting YES was to give
      my kids better schools and I thought very little about
      the taxes because I was NOT a homeowner. Did not bother
      to educate myself any further on that issue. Only when
      the District re-introduced Measure J to the voters did
      I finally vote NO.

      At the last election when there were two available seats
      on the school board, I made the very first INFORMED vote
      of my life in regards to school board members. I was
      so impressed with one candidate that I walked a precinct
      to get the message out. INCUMBENT = NOT NECESSARILY A
      GOOD THING.

      One must examine the fact that people make UNINFORMED
      votes for something like school board members. People
      vote UNINFORMED regarding taxes if it is clear it does
      not affect THEM PERSONALLY.

      I do agree with you about this being the most important
      school board election in years. However, until voters
      see this and make an INFORMED choice,
      we will see folks continuing to attempt to remain on the
      school board for over 10 years. How has this person stayed
      on the school board? My take is that he is running on the
      "familiarity" of his name only. That is living proof voters
      do not make informed choices when it comes to school board
      members.

      Now we could argue that point also, being that an INCUMBENT
      (George Harris III) who received MANY big endorsements and
      had several fancy flyers sent home in the mail to all the
      voters - well he LOST. That was hope to me that people are
      starting to pay attention.

      And regarding all your other questions raised in your post,
      I don't know about any of that. Let me tell you, it is hard
      enough for "politically concerned parents" such as myself
      to stay on top of ensuring their kid
      gets the education that the State promises them. I learned
      more volunteering @ my kid's school and being on the school
      site council
      than in my attempts to be involved by attending
      school board meetings and appealing to our board members.

      It only takes 3 to make a majority on the board, however
      these 3 must be in agreement on what they want to focus
      on. With the exception of Dave BRown, I have never seen
      any of the board members bring items to the board for
      their consideration. Even
      when they are fully aware of certain problems at the sites
      (such as site council members not receiving information on
      site budget) no one seems to have the guts to do anything
      about it. Or they are acting with the knowledge that they
      are POWERLESS over these things. and therefore do NOTHING
      about it. If that is the case then I agree with Scottie Smith's
      statement. It will not matter who gets elected.

      amedina

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "troubled_h2o" <axharris@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      and
      > let me tell you why.
      >
      > Did you know that the voters in our school district have chosen to
      > tax local homeowners almost a billion dollars- yes that's billion
      > with a B- over the next 30 years? Do you know that not one dime
      > of that money can be used for books or teachers salaries? Aside
      > from that, did you know that the disbursement of that money is at
      > the sole discretion of the school board?
      >
      > Yes, folks, our school district has the second richest building
      > program in California. Yet, how many city council candidates
      from
      > Hercules to Pinole, San Pablo, Richmond and El Cerrito are aware of
      > the scope of that program and the potential social and
      environmental
      > impacts in their respective cities?
      >
      > How many of the school board candidates have a plan to support
      green
      > building policies and sensible attendance patterns?
      >
      > How many of YOU are aware of the defacto social engineering that
      > certain of our school board members have slyly implemented over the
      > years to the detriment of many of our neighborhood schools?
      >
      > I served on the school board for four years, and people sometimes
      > ask me , "How important is an endorsement from the teachers
      union?"

      > My answer is this: candidates who have been handpicked and
      endorsed
      > by the teachers union will not necessarily make good school board
      > members.
      >
      > Yes, we all love teachers. When our teachers call us to action,
      > voters, citizens, and community-members strive to influence policy
      > in any way we can to improve their working conditions and
      salaries.

      > However the elected school board has very little influence over
      > union contracts; the state-appointed trustee in this district is
      the
      > real power behind what the teachers and other employees get paid,
      > and most of the available money already is already allocated for
      > retirees.
      >
      > Please make an effort to meet the candidates before the election
      and
      > to query them on the following crucial questions:
      > „X What experience do you have in school construction
      issues,
      > and how will you ensure healthy and green construction?
      > „X How will you use our federal money to ensure English-
      > language proficiency in our high schools and middle schools?
      > „X How will you get rid of clauses in our UTR contract
      that
      > consistently force many of our schools to open with too few
      > teachers?
      > „X Will you direct the superintendent to hire middle-school
      > curriculum experts so that our students are prepared for high
      > school?
      > „X How will you direct the new superintendent to
      restructure

    • axharris@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
        because he empowers a large constituency of voters who do not otherwise have
        access. He reaches out to them and makes himself available. He answers his
        phone calls. He keeps his promises. Any other complaints you might have
        about the man cannot negate those simple facts.

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=10178167&grpspId=1600946590&msgI
        d=7969&stime=1157404396&nc1=3848483&nc2=2&nc3=3>

      • ladyluvslife67
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
          Dear Poster "axharris"

          You are getting off topic with your personal endorsement
          of Charles Ramsey.

          You claimed to be bothered by someone saying that it
          doesn't matter who gets on the school board, I was merely
          offering a perspective as to why one may think that. It is
          regretable that you did not get that part, only my mention
          of some voters simply voting for a person because their
          name is familiar to them.

          My opinion on Mr. Ramsey is a separate issue as well, that
          is why I chose to LEAVE IT OUT OF MY REPLY to your post
          as it was off the topic of discussion entitled:
          DOES IT MATTER WHO GETS ELECTED?

          AMEDINA

          --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, <axharris@...> wrote:

          elected
          > because he empowers a large constituency of voters who do not
          otherwise have
          > access. He reaches out to them and makes himself available. He
          answers his
          > phone calls. He keeps his promises. Any other complaints you
          might have
          > about the man cannot negate those simple facts.
          >

          > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
          s=97359714&grpId=10178167&grpspId=1600946590&msgI
          > d=7969&stime=1157404396&nc1=3848483&nc2=2&nc3=3>

        • troubled_h2o
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
            Dear Madam:
            you asked << How has this person stayed on the school board? My take is
            that he is running on the "familiarity" of his name only. >>

            My comments on Ramsey were a simple response to your question which I
            quote above, and therefore were "on topic."

            I am not using this forum to campaign. I just want to see the
            candidates discuss some of the issues which I consider crucial to the
            improvement of the district.

            As you pointed out very well in your post, parents do the most good at
            the elementary level by volunteering at their child's school site.

            Furthermore, I assert that the best thing a parent can do to insure
            success in high school is to help their child learn the times tables
            cold before the end of third grade. If every person within arms reach
            of this forum makes sure that comes true for every third grader they
            meet, I would be happy.

            That seems so very simple and self-evident to me, yet I was unable to
            have this included in the grade-level expectations for third grade math
            when they were established. I would happily endorse and campaign for
            any candidate who can demonstrate a background in mathematics or math
            curriculum development instead of the meaningless blah blah blah I
            heard at the EC Democratic Club endorsement event. Unfortunately, no
            such candidate is running this year!!