Re: Downer 5 muck continues

  • troubled_h2o
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
      How about this question: What will you do to get rid of clauses in
      the UTR contract that allow teachers to abandon our flatland schools at
      will based on seniority?
    • Elizabeth Jaeger
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
        Charlie,

        I very much appreciate your interest in bringing this to the
        attention of potential school board members. I think your question
        is well-written and to the point. Thanks.

        Elizabeth

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"
        <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

        > Scottie-
        >
        > I have been considering a question like this as part of the PTA
        > question list. Here's a first stab at it:
        >
        > One of the recent controversies in the District involved a group of
        > mostly experienced teachers usually known as the "Downer 5" who
        were
        > disciplined (including forcible transfers and reprimands) after
        they
        > expressed their opposition to how certain changes in teaching
        > practices were being implemented. These teaching practices involved
        > using a much more scripted closely controlled approach overseen by
        > District mentors. What do you think the Board should do, if
        anything,
        > to ensure that teachers are not being disciplined for their
        opinions
        > about policies at their schools? Also, how much control should
        > teachers have over how they teach in their classrooms and how mush
        > oversight should there be?
        >
        > Charley Cowens
        >
        > On 9/1/06, rcs101@... <rcs101@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > --Elizabeth:
        > >
        > > This is a good question for the school board candidates. I would
        most certainly like to know what they have in terms of information
        and their position on what has happen at Downer to 5 of it "highly
        qualified" teachers. Particularly, since the Downer teachers have
        been transferred out to predominately hill schools and replaced with
        much less qualified staff.

        > > Scottie Smith

        > > From: "Elizabeth Jaeger" <elizabethjaeger@...>
        > > > Yesterday I received via certified mail a letter from Graciela
        Uribes
        > > > stating that as per Section 626.4 of the California Penal Code
        she
        > > > was
        > > > banning me from the Downer campus because I have visited
        Downer on
        > > > various occasions without checking in at the office. The
        specific
        > > > date she cited was 8/18. I came to Downer on that day at the
        request
        > > > of Ms. Uribes via the secretary Billie. She had boxed books
        belonging
        > > > to Downer (and clearly marked as such) and wanted me to pick
        them up.
        > > > When I looked through the books and realized (as I had
        suspected)
        > > > they
        > > > were not mine, I told her this and she argued with me. I
        responded
        > > > that if she were offering them to me as a gift, I would take
        them but
        > > > that they did not belong to me. So just in case Ms. Uribes
        asks you
        > > > to come to Downer, you might want to inquire whether, if you
        comply,
        > > > you'll be banned from returning on further occasions.
        > > >
        > > > I actually am relatively unconcerned about not being able to be
        > > > visit. The great majority of my friends are gone now -- either
        > > > fleeing on their own or being removed against their will.
        However,

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
          Well how about this counter non-question to match your non-question:
          How do we make our "flatland" schools places where experienced
          professionals will want to stay and work instead of being forced to
          flee to schools (and school districts) that are not as needing of
          their services.

          Charley Cowens

          On 9/3/06, troubled_h2o <axharris@...> wrote:
          > How about this question: What will you do to get rid of clauses in
          > the UTR contract that allow teachers to abandon our flatland schools at
          > will based on seniority?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elizabeth Jaeger
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
            Or, more importantly, how will you deal with administrators who remove
            teachers from the flatland schools they are committed to and send them
            to hills schools which need them less? All of the Downer 5 were
            transferred to higher socioeconomic status schools.

          • axharris@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
              Oh, and did I hear you saying the district is too large?

              _____

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
                --I think the all the questions are good ones and Elizabeth's should be asked right out. By the way, Charlie, could you post a list of dates and locations for candidates' forums?

                From: <axharris@...>

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Scottie,

                  When people give this information to me, I'l post it.

                  Charley

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3, 2006
                    Yes, I've thought that before, but the costs of dividing may simply
                    outweigh any benefits. Is there some connection you're trying to make
                    to what we're talking about in this thread?

                    Also, who are you? You said you were an ex-school board member. Your
                    email user name is "axharris". There are two such people I know of
                    with Harris in their names. Are you Adrienne Harris-Pitts?

                    Charley Cowens

                    On 9/3/06, axharris@... <axharris@...> wrote:
                    > Oh, and did I hear you saying the district is too large?
                    >

                    > _____

                  • troubled_h2o
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                      This sounds like a problem that should be grievanced through UTR.
                      That's what they get paid for.
                    • Elizabeth Jaeger
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                        Would that UTR leadership had any interest in instruction whatsoever.
                        They were of absolutely no help during the whole Downer 5 ordeal and,
                        in some ways, a hindrance since they managed to convince other
                        teachers that we were being "looked after." The only grievances they
                        seem equipped to handle are those related to technicalities (e.g., did
                        a principal follow the contractual guidelines in conducting a teacher
                        evaluation, NOT was a teacher harrassed during the course of the
                        evaluation process).

                      • axharris@sbcglobal.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                          As unfortunate as your experience was, what do you expect the (approx,)
                          $500 a month elected representatives of the public to do about it? If you
                          have properly documented the harassment, and UTR won't help you, you should
                          contact a lawyer. IMHO you are totally barking up the wrong tree with the
                          school board.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                            The board should exert their influence so the district
                            doesn't waste valuable $$$$$$$ fighting court cases
                            that need not go to court. Who is the moral compass
                            of the school district when the administation refuses
                            to act ethically? Who should guard the purse strings
                            when behavior is senselessly scattering dollars at
                            district lawyers when the money could be supporting
                            the instruction on the children? Trying all venues
                            before going to court is the best course of action,
                            but it seems the district is intent on wasting yet
                            thousands more dollars covering their indiscretions.
                            So sad...
                            Yet I feel we must bark up every tree in hopes that
                            others don't continue running down the wrong path.
                            IMHO everyone should be barking as loud as possible.

                            Eduardo

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • axharris@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                              Americans have a right to due process. Moreover, the individual school board
                              members do not exert as much personal influence over personnel matters as
                              you seem to think. Lastly, the school board is essentially powerless to
                              mediate personality conflicts. They can't even get along with each other,
                              and anyway, none of them cares much about the schools in Richmond, where I
                              happen to reside.

                              Harrassment is a serious issue. If it can be proven, it should be pressed.

                              Cordially,
                              Adrienne

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                                Whatever the Board is paid, they are the ultimate controlling
                                authority over the District subject to the State (like the exit exam
                                requirement) and the purely budgetary veto power of Dr. Fred. The
                                grievance procedure should deal with the bulk of personal type cases
                                (like getting shorted in your paycheck), but there are three possible
                                situations where the grievance procedure approach breaks down: (1)
                                where administrative retaliation is applied to suppress opinions about
                                school policy, (2) where there is a wide pattern to a particular kind
                                of grievance, and (3) where the sheer volume of grievances is
                                excessive. An example of (1) is writing up a teacher for what they
                                said as a member of a site council. As for (3), I'd be curious to know
                                if anyone has any statistics about the grievance rate in this district
                                over time and compared to other districts.

                                Charley Cowens

                              • axharris@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                                  What you say is fanciful. The distict acts pursuant to the union contracts.
                                  Does the industrial employment model imposed by UTR conflict with the
                                  educational function of its cadre of state-certified professional teachers?
                                  If so, this is an issue the public needs to embrace

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                                    Would you please include the quote to which you refer?
                                    I have no idea what you consider fanciful, but the
                                    district acts pursuant to their wims. That is why
                                    there are so many grievances. It is the industrial
                                    employment model imposed by the district that is the
                                    problem and their attempts to force scripted
                                    curriculum greatly adversely impacts the educational
                                    function of state-certified professional teachers.
                                    And yes, I do believe this is an issue the public
                                    needs to embrace.

                                    Eduardo

                                    --- axharris@... wrote:

                                    > What you say is fanciful. The distict acts pursuant
                                    > to the union contracts.
                                    > Does the industrial employment model imposed by UTR
                                    > conflict with the
                                    > educational function of its cadre of state-certified
                                    > professional teachers?
                                    > If so, this is an issue the public needs to embrace

                                    > removed]

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • troubled_h2o
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 4, 2006
                                      Eduardo:
                                      "Whatever the Board is paid, they are the ultimate controlling
                                      authority over the District."
                                      That is the quote which I described as "fanciful."
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 5, 2006
                                        Adrienne,

                                        The full sentence was "Whatever the Board is paid, they are the
                                        ultimate controlling
                                        authority over the District subject to the State (like the exit exam
                                        requirement) and the purely budgetary veto power of Dr. Fred." I
                                        should have thrown in contracts it has entered into, but that seemed
                                        sort of obvious.

                                        The collective bargaining agreement for teachers is between the School
                                        Board and the UTR, not among the School Board, the staff, and the
                                        UTR. I don't see how directing staff to abstain from the sort of
                                        actions involved in the Downer 5 incidents or to remedy them could be
                                        a violation of the collective bargaining agreement between teachers
                                        and the School Board.

                                        Charley Cowens

                                        On 9/4/06, troubled_h2o <axharris@...> wrote:
                                        > Eduardo:
                                        > "Whatever the Board is paid, they are the ultimate controlling
                                        > authority over the District."
                                        > That is the quote which I described as "fanciful."
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • troubled_h2o
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 5, 2006
                                          Charley-
                                          The school board doesn't direct the staff. The school board directs the
                                          superintendent. The superintendent supervises the staff- that's why
                                          his job title is "superintendent." If the school board is displeased
                                          with how the superintendent implements policy, they can fire him at any
                                          time with 3 votes.

                                          Unfortunately, as a newbie, I don't really know what happened at
                                          Downer. Was it an issue with math curriculum? Improving math
                                          curriculum always interests me.

                                          Adrienne
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 5, 2006
                                            Adrienne-

                                            Here is the State Ed. Code about the powers of the School Board:

                                            35161. The governing board of any school district may execute any
                                            powers delegated by law to it or to the district of which it is the
                                            governing board, and shall discharge any duty imposed by law upon it
                                            or upon the district of which it is the governing board, and may
                                            delegate to an officer or employee of the district any of those
                                            powers or duties. The governing board, however, retains ultimate
                                            responsibility over the performance of those powers or duties so
                                            delegated.

                                            This seem rather broad to me. My main point about what I dimly
                                            remember to be the beginning of this thread was that the Board _can_
                                            intervene as much as it wants in matters like the Downer 5. Whether it
                                            _should_ is the real question.

                                            The starting bone of contention at Downer was mostly about the reading
                                            (oh, I mean literacy) program.

                                            Charley Cowens

                                            On 9/5/06, troubled_h2o <axharris@...> wrote:
                                            > Charley-
                                            > The school board doesn't direct the staff. The school board directs the
                                            > superintendent. The superintendent supervises the staff- that's why
                                            > his job title is "superintendent." If the school board is displeased
                                            > with how the superintendent implements policy, they can fire him at any
                                            > time with 3 votes.
                                            >
                                            > Unfortunately, as a newbie, I don't really know what happened at
                                            > Downer. Was it an issue with math curriculum? Improving math
                                            > curriculum always interests me.
                                            >
                                            > Adrienne
                                            >

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Elizabeth Jaeger
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 6, 2006
                                              Yes, the reading program but also the toxic environment created by a
                                              series of administrators.

                                              <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

                                              > Adrienne-
                                              >
                                              > Here is the State Ed. Code about the powers of the School Board:
                                              >
                                              > 35161. The governing board of any school district may execute any
                                              > powers delegated by law to it or to the district of which it is the
                                              > governing board, and shall discharge any duty imposed by law upon
                                              it
                                              > or upon the district of which it is the governing board, and may
                                              > delegate to an officer or employee of the district any of those
                                              > powers or duties. The governing board, however, retains ultimate
                                              > responsibility over the performance of those powers or duties so
                                              > delegated.
                                              >
                                              > This seem rather broad to me. My main point about what I dimly
                                              > remember to be the beginning of this thread was that the Board
                                              _can_
                                              > intervene as much as it wants in matters like the Downer 5.
                                              Whether it
                                              > _should_ is the real question.
                                              >
                                              > The starting bone of contention at Downer was mostly about the
                                              reading
                                              > (oh, I mean literacy) program.
                                              >
                                              > Charley Cowens
                                              >

                                              > On 9/5/06, troubled_h2o <axharris@...> wrote:
                                              > > Charley-
                                              > > The school board doesn't direct the staff. The school board
                                              directs the
                                              > > superintendent. The superintendent supervises the staff- that's
                                              why
                                              > > his job title is "superintendent." If the school board is
                                              displeased
                                              > > with how the superintendent implements policy, they can fire him
                                              at any
                                              > > time with 3 votes.
                                              > >
                                              > > Unfortunately, as a newbie, I don't really know what happened at
                                              > > Downer. Was it an issue with math curriculum? Improving math
                                              > > curriculum always interests me.
                                              > >
                                              > > Adrienne
                                              > >

                                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • troubled_h2o
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 6, 2006
                                                Good stuff, Charley. The gospel of the Ed Code.
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 7, 2006
                                                  Scottie-

                                                  Here's the dates/times for 3 candidate forums sponsored by
                                                  LWV/PTA/WCCUSD, moderated by the League of Women Voters, West Contra
                                                  Costa Chapter.

                                                  Wednesday Oct. 11 @ Kennedy HS, 7-9 p.m.
                                                  Wednesday Oct. 25 @ Hercules HS, 7-9 p.m.
                                                  Saturday, Oct. 28 @ De Anza HS, 10 a.m. - 12 noon

                                                  If anyone hears of any other dates please share.

                                                  Charley Cowens