Re: [wccusdtalk] UTR Endorsement-Rep Council

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
      Jim,

      I was expecting some sort of response to my last post
      and was surprised that you ignored it, but still
      responded to the issue to which I had written.

      I will respond to points and questions that you have
      brought forth.

      --- jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

      > When the UTR exec board proposed Medrano, Miles and
      > Meade, that was a blow to the incumbent candidate.
      >
      > Based on all the information presented, it certainly
      > appears that someone on the rep council, for some
      > reason, "researched" Ms. Meade to a much greater
      > extent than it usually would research any candidate.
      > If the endorsements weren't even on the agenda, then
      > WHY had someone "researched" Ms. Meade?? The
      > logical
      > assumption was that someone on the rep council was
      > tipped off with regard to what to look for, or was
      > simply given the information.

      Mel Collins is not only a rep council member, but one
      of the few UTR executive board members who attempts to
      make the dealings of the executive board transparent.
      He is an independent thinker who is often at odds with
      the hand picked and groomed members of the executive
      board. The rep council was fortunate to Mel be aware
      of the executive board's attempt to force an
      endorsement which might not be good for the union.

      > When the UTR rep council dropped Ms Meade as an
      > endorsement, that was a good thing for the incumbent
      > candidate.

      You seem to have an issue with "the incumbent
      candidate". The question for the rep council wasn't:
      "Is this good or bad for the incumbent?" but rather,
      "Is this good or bad for the union?"

      > It certainly APPEARS that the rep council was
      > played.
      > They may not want to admit it, and they may
      > nonetheless be quite happy with their final vote,
      > but
      > the appearance that they were played is nonetheless
      > out there.

      I don't understand how you can insinuate that the rep
      council was played for having some information given
      to them. Are you implying that they wouldn't have
      been played if no information was given? The UTR
      leadership is at fault for asking the rep council to
      vote without giving them any information to make an
      informed decision. I would say that the rep council
      has been played by the UTR executive board for a long
      time, not for being given information, but rather for
      NOT being given information and ordered to make a
      decision. As I stated in my previous reply to you.
      Medrano is the only candidate that I personally
      endorse.

      > It is likely best to just leave it alone at this
      > point. But, if the rep council members want to
      > defend
      > their stance, they should clearly state who
      > "researched" Ms Meade, and why they researched Ms
      > Meade when they clearly did not "research" the other
      > candidates.

      I will not defend the rep council's endorsement of the
      other candidates since they voted without doing
      research, although I am glad that Medrano was
      endorsed. I will defend the rep council's decision to
      not endorse Ms. Meade, if not for the fact that her
      history implies that her tenure on the school board
      would be bad for the union, then for the fact that the
      UTR leadership did not give the rep council enough
      information to make an informed decision.

      > Quick - members of the rep council:
      > -can you state what type of law Mr Brower
      > practices?
      > -can you state what type of law Mr. Ramsey
      > practices?
      > -have you done any research on any of the other
      > candidates?

      I would hope that the other lawyers you mention would
      have been researched if they had been recommended for
      endorsement and of course if the rep council had been
      made aware of the vote to endorse.

      > I suspect there will be no answer forthcoming, and
      > the
      > impression that the rep council was fed information
      > will stand.

      From your comment, I take it you think rep council
      members cannot think for themselves and need others to
      tell them what to look into. As I've stated before,
      that might have been true in the past, but we are
      developing a proactive rep council that will lead the
      union democratically and not be lead by a "leadership"
      that thinks we only need to rubber stamp their
      decisions.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
        Mel-

        You seem to be confusing me with Kevin Rivard and (mostly) Jim Cowen
        in this particular response below. You might have been thrown by the
        similarity of Jim's last name and mine. It's happened before.

        Charley Cowens

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
          Mel,

          So, the explicit promise made by Karen Pfeifer and Dave Brown to the
          UTR was no school closures. There was no explicit promise about the
          K-8 issue.

          Charley Cowens