Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: UTR School Board Endorsement Response/Rep Council

  • Diamel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 5:32 AM
      Hi, Jim

      Sorry, I'm just getting back to you, I've been overwhelmed with the opening
      of school. Thanks to Eduardo and Mel for your responses.

      The issue was clearly Ms. Mead. I made some inquiries about Ms. Mead an
      others had to conduct their own individual research because we didn't get
      anything from our local leaders. However, had there been some transparency from our
      union (organization) prior to the rep council meeting the results might have
      been different.

      The whole event was not the agenda of the rep council (the decision making
      body of UTR), it was the agenda of a few members of the executive board in my
      opinion. In response to your question was other candidates researched, NO!

      I know about Antonio Medrano's work because I have talked with him
      one-on-one about issues and he has the presence in the community. He has attended
      forums about education issues. He has advocated at school board meetings for
      education and teacher issues. Some of which was brought out briefly by one of
      members of rep council.

      There was a brief statement about Audrey Miles from Pixie Hayward Schickele
      (senior UTR executive board member). I have worked with Ms. Miles and I don't
      feel she has a grasp on the issues, history or experience to influence the
      decisions made at the school board level. Unfortunately we didn't have the
      opportunity to participate in an in depth debate about these two candidates.

      Diane Brown

    • Hulda Nystrom
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4 2:31 PM
        Although I find recent developments at United Teachers of Richmond
        Representative Council regarding endorsement or not of school board
        candidates very interesting, particularly since I am a UTR member, I do
        not think it is appropriate for this discussion to be posted to
        WCCUSDtalk, a public mailing list of parents and other community members.
        Just as I don't think it's appropriate for spouses or family members or
        members of other groups to discuss their internal issues in public.

        I think discussion of school board candidates by UTR members who are
        subscribers to WCCUSDtalk is clearly legitimate, just not the internal
        goings on of another organization.

        Respectfully
        Hulda Nystrom