Re: [wccusdtalk] UTR Endorsement-Rep Council

  • jim cowen
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
      When the UTR exec board proposed Medrano, Miles and
      Meade, that was a blow to the incumbent candidate.

      Based on all the information presented, it certainly
      appears that someone on the rep council, for some
      reason, "researched" Ms. Meade to a much greater
      extent than it usually would research any candidate.
      If the endorsements weren't even on the agenda, then
      WHY had someone "researched" Ms. Meade?? The logical
      assumption was that someone on the rep council was
      tipped off with regard to what to look for, or was
      simply given the information.

      When the UTR rep council dropped Ms Meade as an
      endorsement, that was a good thing for the incumbent
      candidate.

      It certainly APPEARS that the rep council was played.
      They may not want to admit it, and they may
      nonetheless be quite happy with their final vote, but
      the appearance that they were played is nonetheless
      out there.

      It is likely best to just leave it alone at this
      point. But, if the rep council members want to defend
      their stance, they should clearly state who
      "researched" Ms Meade, and why they researched Ms
      Meade when they clearly did not "research" the other
      candidates.

      Quick - members of the rep council:
      -can you state what type of law Mr Brower practices?
      -can you state what type of law Mr. Ramsey
      practices?
      -have you done any research on any of the other
      candidates?

      I suspect there will be no answer forthcoming, and the
      impression that the rep council was fed information
      will stand.

      Jim Cowen
      P.S. please dont confuse Jim Cowen and Charlie
      Cowens. We both get into enough trouble on our own!!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
        Mel Collins Wrote :
        Charlie lets not play on words here. there is nothing implicit in
        politics. What I said was those were promises made. They campaigned on
        no school closures. Schools were closed. In regards to k-8 to go k-8
        one or more middle schools would have to be closed.

        Mel Collins

        Jill Writes:
        As a member of the public whom attended school board meetings to keep
        schools open, I would like to remind you that Dave Brown voted "NO" to
        closing any schools. Unfortunately his vote did not help and Seaview
        was closed.
        Also as someone that participated on the K8. Oh what a set up this
        was and a waste of time for me. But let's set the record straight!
        Karen Pheifer did not want any part of K8. She only attended a few
        meetings in the beginning. When her proposal for a GATE K8 did not go
        over very well, she did not seem to attend any further meetings.
        Remember Karen Pheifer voted to Close Schools!
        Also Dave Brown made a comment at a K8 that he would consider
        resigning if we proposed closing any Middle Schools. He said that he
        did make promises and did not want to go thru that again.
        Hope this helps....
        I did not vote for either Karen or Dave, but I will say I am much
        happier with Dave the Karen...
        Which brings up my last comment and I was not going to get involved in
        this political debate, but maybe you all should look at where the
        Candadates live. We have had a Strong Support for EL Cerrito...The
        people that VOTE! I would personaly like to see a more diverse group
        on the school board! I am tired of having 3 people from the El
        Cerrito Community on the Board! This has been going on for too many
        years.

        Jill Wolkenfeld
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
          --Jim:

          I am not going to mix you up with Charlie again, but only a note to say, I agree with you and would hope that the public would not allow UTR or any big donor or organization to dictate how they should vote. At this time, I can not say which candidate I will vote for, but I will take a strong look at who is supporting each candidate; and if they are connected to any powerful lobbying person, group or organization, I would be very careful about supporting them. Because one has to ask what vested interest does the group or organization have in supporting a particular candidate. I am much more interested in the latter than what part of the district they come from, just because a person comes from Richmond, San Pablo, Pinole, etc., it does not mean that person is looking out for the best interest of that area or listening to the parents, students and teachers of said area.

          From: jim cowen <jimcowen@...>

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
            --Eduardo:

            Thanks for leaving the door open and advocating for "informed voting". But my brother, be very careful about putting out your support signs for anyone at this stage of the game, particularly when the important issues that Elizabeth has put on the table have not been fully addressed by the candidates.

            From: Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
              Jim,

              I was expecting some sort of response to my last post
              and was surprised that you ignored it, but still
              responded to the issue to which I had written.

              I will respond to points and questions that you have
              brought forth.

              --- jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

              > When the UTR exec board proposed Medrano, Miles and
              > Meade, that was a blow to the incumbent candidate.
              >
              > Based on all the information presented, it certainly
              > appears that someone on the rep council, for some
              > reason, "researched" Ms. Meade to a much greater
              > extent than it usually would research any candidate.
              > If the endorsements weren't even on the agenda, then
              > WHY had someone "researched" Ms. Meade?? The
              > logical
              > assumption was that someone on the rep council was
              > tipped off with regard to what to look for, or was
              > simply given the information.

              Mel Collins is not only a rep council member, but one
              of the few UTR executive board members who attempts to
              make the dealings of the executive board transparent.
              He is an independent thinker who is often at odds with
              the hand picked and groomed members of the executive
              board. The rep council was fortunate to Mel be aware
              of the executive board's attempt to force an
              endorsement which might not be good for the union.

              > When the UTR rep council dropped Ms Meade as an
              > endorsement, that was a good thing for the incumbent
              > candidate.

              You seem to have an issue with "the incumbent
              candidate". The question for the rep council wasn't:
              "Is this good or bad for the incumbent?" but rather,
              "Is this good or bad for the union?"

              > It certainly APPEARS that the rep council was
              > played.
              > They may not want to admit it, and they may
              > nonetheless be quite happy with their final vote,
              > but
              > the appearance that they were played is nonetheless
              > out there.

              I don't understand how you can insinuate that the rep
              council was played for having some information given
              to them. Are you implying that they wouldn't have
              been played if no information was given? The UTR
              leadership is at fault for asking the rep council to
              vote without giving them any information to make an
              informed decision. I would say that the rep council
              has been played by the UTR executive board for a long
              time, not for being given information, but rather for
              NOT being given information and ordered to make a
              decision. As I stated in my previous reply to you.
              Medrano is the only candidate that I personally
              endorse.

              > It is likely best to just leave it alone at this
              > point. But, if the rep council members want to
              > defend
              > their stance, they should clearly state who
              > "researched" Ms Meade, and why they researched Ms
              > Meade when they clearly did not "research" the other
              > candidates.

              I will not defend the rep council's endorsement of the
              other candidates since they voted without doing
              research, although I am glad that Medrano was
              endorsed. I will defend the rep council's decision to
              not endorse Ms. Meade, if not for the fact that her
              history implies that her tenure on the school board
              would be bad for the union, then for the fact that the
              UTR leadership did not give the rep council enough
              information to make an informed decision.

              > Quick - members of the rep council:
              > -can you state what type of law Mr Brower
              > practices?
              > -can you state what type of law Mr. Ramsey
              > practices?
              > -have you done any research on any of the other
              > candidates?

              I would hope that the other lawyers you mention would
              have been researched if they had been recommended for
              endorsement and of course if the rep council had been
              made aware of the vote to endorse.

              > I suspect there will be no answer forthcoming, and
              > the
              > impression that the rep council was fed information
              > will stand.

              From your comment, I take it you think rep council
              members cannot think for themselves and need others to
              tell them what to look into. As I've stated before,
              that might have been true in the past, but we are
              developing a proactive rep council that will lead the
              union democratically and not be lead by a "leadership"
              that thinks we only need to rubber stamp their
              decisions.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                Mel-

                You seem to be confusing me with Kevin Rivard and (mostly) Jim Cowen
                in this particular response below. You might have been thrown by the
                similarity of Jim's last name and mine. It's happened before.

                Charley Cowens

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Mel,

                  So, the explicit promise made by Karen Pfeifer and Dave Brown to the
                  UTR was no school closures. There was no explicit promise about the
                  K-8 issue.

                  Charley Cowens