Re: [wccusdtalk] RE: UTR School Board Endorsement

  • Diamel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
      Charlie, members of rep council did there own investigation and brought the
      information to rep council to share with members. I down loaded the voter
      information pamphlet and only found out that she was a lawyer. She never
      mentioned her experience or mentioned what type of cases she was involved in as did
      candidate Robert Brower. I felt the need to look deeper for knowing Gail
      Mendes I knew she would not share all the facts with the council.

      I served on the UTR Exec. Board for 14 years and I do know the nature of
      Gail Mendes. The debate was lively only because Pres. Gail Mendes did not want a
      discussion but a rubber stamp from the council. She and Pixie
      Hayward-Schickele our CTA board member would not allow nominations from the floor which made
      members more up set for it seemed like a set up to me and others.

      Charlie I do not know where you are getting your information from but no one
      from the out side wrangled rep. council members. Yes members are miffed at
      Gail Mendes because she BULLIES them and is HEAVY HANDED. The research brought
      in by my self and others was the straw that broke the camels back.

      You did not slip you only put out unsubstantiated information. Using your
      own words it seems to me that you are the muckraker. I feel that an apology
      needs to be made to the individual you implicated.

      I want to be very clear that the yet-unnamed person was me and I am not
      behind the scene but a 28 year dues paying member of UTR/CTA/NEA and 14 year
      member of UTRS Exec.Board.

      MEL COLLINS

    • jim cowen
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
        When the UTR exec board proposed Medrano, Miles and
        Meade, that was a blow to the incumbent candidate.

        Based on all the information presented, it certainly
        appears that someone on the rep council, for some
        reason, "researched" Ms. Meade to a much greater
        extent than it usually would research any candidate.
        If the endorsements weren't even on the agenda, then
        WHY had someone "researched" Ms. Meade?? The logical
        assumption was that someone on the rep council was
        tipped off with regard to what to look for, or was
        simply given the information.

        When the UTR rep council dropped Ms Meade as an
        endorsement, that was a good thing for the incumbent
        candidate.

        It certainly APPEARS that the rep council was played.
        They may not want to admit it, and they may
        nonetheless be quite happy with their final vote, but
        the appearance that they were played is nonetheless
        out there.

        It is likely best to just leave it alone at this
        point. But, if the rep council members want to defend
        their stance, they should clearly state who
        "researched" Ms Meade, and why they researched Ms
        Meade when they clearly did not "research" the other
        candidates.

        Quick - members of the rep council:
        -can you state what type of law Mr Brower practices?
        -can you state what type of law Mr. Ramsey
        practices?
        -have you done any research on any of the other
        candidates?

        I suspect there will be no answer forthcoming, and the
        impression that the rep council was fed information
        will stand.

        Jim Cowen
        P.S. please dont confuse Jim Cowen and Charlie
        Cowens. We both get into enough trouble on our own!!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
          Mel Collins Wrote :
          Charlie lets not play on words here. there is nothing implicit in
          politics. What I said was those were promises made. They campaigned on
          no school closures. Schools were closed. In regards to k-8 to go k-8
          one or more middle schools would have to be closed.

          Mel Collins

          Jill Writes:
          As a member of the public whom attended school board meetings to keep
          schools open, I would like to remind you that Dave Brown voted "NO" to
          closing any schools. Unfortunately his vote did not help and Seaview
          was closed.
          Also as someone that participated on the K8. Oh what a set up this
          was and a waste of time for me. But let's set the record straight!
          Karen Pheifer did not want any part of K8. She only attended a few
          meetings in the beginning. When her proposal for a GATE K8 did not go
          over very well, she did not seem to attend any further meetings.
          Remember Karen Pheifer voted to Close Schools!
          Also Dave Brown made a comment at a K8 that he would consider
          resigning if we proposed closing any Middle Schools. He said that he
          did make promises and did not want to go thru that again.
          Hope this helps....
          I did not vote for either Karen or Dave, but I will say I am much
          happier with Dave the Karen...
          Which brings up my last comment and I was not going to get involved in
          this political debate, but maybe you all should look at where the
          Candadates live. We have had a Strong Support for EL Cerrito...The
          people that VOTE! I would personaly like to see a more diverse group
          on the school board! I am tired of having 3 people from the El
          Cerrito Community on the Board! This has been going on for too many
          years.

          Jill Wolkenfeld
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
            --Jim:

            I am not going to mix you up with Charlie again, but only a note to say, I agree with you and would hope that the public would not allow UTR or any big donor or organization to dictate how they should vote. At this time, I can not say which candidate I will vote for, but I will take a strong look at who is supporting each candidate; and if they are connected to any powerful lobbying person, group or organization, I would be very careful about supporting them. Because one has to ask what vested interest does the group or organization have in supporting a particular candidate. I am much more interested in the latter than what part of the district they come from, just because a person comes from Richmond, San Pablo, Pinole, etc., it does not mean that person is looking out for the best interest of that area or listening to the parents, students and teachers of said area.

            From: jim cowen <jimcowen@...>

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 1, 2006
              --Eduardo:

              Thanks for leaving the door open and advocating for "informed voting". But my brother, be very careful about putting out your support signs for anyone at this stage of the game, particularly when the important issues that Elizabeth has put on the table have not been fully addressed by the candidates.

              From: Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                Jim,

                I was expecting some sort of response to my last post
                and was surprised that you ignored it, but still
                responded to the issue to which I had written.

                I will respond to points and questions that you have
                brought forth.

                --- jim cowen <jimcowen@...> wrote:

                > When the UTR exec board proposed Medrano, Miles and
                > Meade, that was a blow to the incumbent candidate.
                >
                > Based on all the information presented, it certainly
                > appears that someone on the rep council, for some
                > reason, "researched" Ms. Meade to a much greater
                > extent than it usually would research any candidate.
                > If the endorsements weren't even on the agenda, then
                > WHY had someone "researched" Ms. Meade?? The
                > logical
                > assumption was that someone on the rep council was
                > tipped off with regard to what to look for, or was
                > simply given the information.

                Mel Collins is not only a rep council member, but one
                of the few UTR executive board members who attempts to
                make the dealings of the executive board transparent.
                He is an independent thinker who is often at odds with
                the hand picked and groomed members of the executive
                board. The rep council was fortunate to Mel be aware
                of the executive board's attempt to force an
                endorsement which might not be good for the union.

                > When the UTR rep council dropped Ms Meade as an
                > endorsement, that was a good thing for the incumbent
                > candidate.

                You seem to have an issue with "the incumbent
                candidate". The question for the rep council wasn't:
                "Is this good or bad for the incumbent?" but rather,
                "Is this good or bad for the union?"

                > It certainly APPEARS that the rep council was
                > played.
                > They may not want to admit it, and they may
                > nonetheless be quite happy with their final vote,
                > but
                > the appearance that they were played is nonetheless
                > out there.

                I don't understand how you can insinuate that the rep
                council was played for having some information given
                to them. Are you implying that they wouldn't have
                been played if no information was given? The UTR
                leadership is at fault for asking the rep council to
                vote without giving them any information to make an
                informed decision. I would say that the rep council
                has been played by the UTR executive board for a long
                time, not for being given information, but rather for
                NOT being given information and ordered to make a
                decision. As I stated in my previous reply to you.
                Medrano is the only candidate that I personally
                endorse.

                > It is likely best to just leave it alone at this
                > point. But, if the rep council members want to
                > defend
                > their stance, they should clearly state who
                > "researched" Ms Meade, and why they researched Ms
                > Meade when they clearly did not "research" the other
                > candidates.

                I will not defend the rep council's endorsement of the
                other candidates since they voted without doing
                research, although I am glad that Medrano was
                endorsed. I will defend the rep council's decision to
                not endorse Ms. Meade, if not for the fact that her
                history implies that her tenure on the school board
                would be bad for the union, then for the fact that the
                UTR leadership did not give the rep council enough
                information to make an informed decision.

                > Quick - members of the rep council:
                > -can you state what type of law Mr Brower
                > practices?
                > -can you state what type of law Mr. Ramsey
                > practices?
                > -have you done any research on any of the other
                > candidates?

                I would hope that the other lawyers you mention would
                have been researched if they had been recommended for
                endorsement and of course if the rep council had been
                made aware of the vote to endorse.

                > I suspect there will be no answer forthcoming, and
                > the
                > impression that the rep council was fed information
                > will stand.

                From your comment, I take it you think rep council
                members cannot think for themselves and need others to
                tell them what to look into. As I've stated before,
                that might have been true in the past, but we are
                developing a proactive rep council that will lead the
                union democratically and not be lead by a "leadership"
                that thinks we only need to rubber stamp their
                decisions.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Mel-

                  You seem to be confusing me with Kevin Rivard and (mostly) Jim Cowen
                  in this particular response below. You might have been thrown by the
                  similarity of Jim's last name and mine. It's happened before.

                  Charley Cowens

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Mel,

                    So, the explicit promise made by Karen Pfeifer and Dave Brown to the
                    UTR was no school closures. There was no explicit promise about the
                    K-8 issue.

                    Charley Cowens