Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Solving the Portola Middle School Problem

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 25, 2006
      Curriculum and credential issues aside, you also need to remember that
      Harding, Kensington, Madera and Washington have already been rebuilt.
      Castro is in the design phase. Given the high number of special needs
      students at both Castro and Fairmont those don't seem viable K-8
      possibilities. That leaves Stege out of the Portola feeder schools. Even
      if you think K-8 is the way to go, it's not going to be the solution for
      the problems with the Portola site.
      Cathy

    • Sharon J.
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 25, 2006
        I agree with both of you.

        Some of the schools in the Portola draw have been rebuilt so now it
        would be necessary to go back and retrofit them--a plan which I doubt
        there is money or political will to implement at this time. In a few
        years, this may be possible.

        I had heard that Castro asked their architect to look at the
        possibility of converting to a K-8 but this is just a rumor. Also,
        heard that the bond committee was asking schools not yet rebuilt to
        look at a possible K-8 configuration but, again, this may have been
        shelved once the board voted no to exploring the idea.

        I don't see Castro's population of special ed students as a barrior to
        a K-8 configuration. If anything, students with special needs would
        greatly benefit from not having to make an additional transition.

        Also, just to clarify Jill, I know the committee was looking at only a
        few schools in the district as an experiment which makes sense. I was
        responding to Jim's idea that we raze Portola, sell the land, and make
        most (if not all) of the elementary schools in the draw K-8. This
        strikes me as total "pie in the sky" but, hey, what do I know.

        Last but not least, the candidates that have spoken publicly about
        their support of a K-8 alternative and say they oppose mandatory
        uniforms at every school (not the ones who want them) are:

        Marguerite Meade
        Anton Jungherr
        Antonio Medrano

        Of the three, the only person I know personally is Ms. Meade. She is a
        former Harding parent, was a PTA President, is an ACLU attorney, a
        huge supporter of W. County public schools, has pushed hard for more
        transperency in the budgeting process, and I greatly respect her. I'm
        glad she decided to announce her candidacy.

        --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > Kensington
        > > > Madera
        > > > Stege
        > > > Washington
        > > >
        > > > From what I recall, not all of the parents at these schools even
        > > WANT
        > > > a K-8 and some teachers are adamant that they have no desire to
        > > seek
        > > > the additional qualifications needed to teach middle school age
        > > children.
        > > >
        > > > Also, there are 632 students at Portola (this figure is from Jan.
        > > > 2005). Are you going to send them all back to their elementary
        > > schools
        > > > and fire the teachers who don't want to work in a K-8 because they
        > > > believe in middle schools?
        > > >
        > > > K-8 is a desirable alternative for some parents but I think your
        > > plan
        > > > will disappoint as many people as it makes happy.

      • alicat1967
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 26, 2006
          Regarding Washington School, yes the school did get
          a partial rebuild (to the tune of 10 million bucks).
          They are also preparing for the 3rd year of their
          Dual Imersion program. Since we know big money
          comes with teaching our kids English, it is a
          great chance this school could be converted
          quite easily to K-8 Dual Imersion.

          More information on Washington School's
          Dual Imersion Program
          Parent Commentary and Contacts
          http://parents.berkeley.edu/recommend/schools/wcc/washington.html
          If you would like a copy of the program description booklet I
          received on this, I would be happy to email it to you. Do not
          have it posted on a website otherwise I could post a link
          (I think) :)

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 27, 2006
            Sharon-

            candidate forum at the El Cerrito Democratic Club, Antonio Medrano was
            not listed as an opponent of mandatory district-wide school uniforms
            yet you have him down on your list as an opponent. I'm just trying to
            figure out where the candidates stand. When did Antonio say he was
            opposed to the new uniform policy?

            Charley Cowens

          • Sharon J.
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 27, 2006
              I interpreted a "no to uniforms" message (at least in the schools
              where a majority of parents clearly don't want them) from his remarks
              at the last candidate forum but if you have him listed as being in
              support of uniforms, you are probably right.

              Per a previous poster's comment, it seems like the candidates are
              still working out their positions on some of these hot button issues.

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 27, 2006
                Sharon-

                I wasn't at the meeting, so I have to rely on people who did go. Maybe
                an official position list on this was premature. For now, I'll change
                him to a ?.

                Thanks,
                Charley Cowens

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2006
                  School can't rebuild on same site see artical:

                  http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/15479002.htm

                  --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetjill" <sunsetjill@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > and fire the teachers who don't want to work in a K-8 because
                  they
                  > > believe in middle schools?
                  > >
                  > > K-8 is a desirable alternative for some parents but I think your
                  > plan
                  > > will disappoint as many people as it makes happy.
                  > >

                  > > > or... here's the idea of the century.....
                  > > >
                  > > > -convert the feeder schools to K8.
                  > > > Sell the Portola site (at huge windfall $$$)
                  > > > Spend a small portion of the money it would cost to
                  > > > rebuild Portola on upgrading the feeder
                  > > > elementaries for K8
                  > > > Solve lots of problems at the same time!!!!
                  > > >
                  > > > Attention School Board:
                  > > > 1. You have an aging middle school.
                  > > > 2. The campus is unsafe.
                  > > > 3. It's is likely the Division of State Architect
                  > > > will never let you build there
                  > > > 4. The solution is staring you in the face.
                  > > >
                  > > > No waiting. Save $100 - $200 million dollars. Let's

                • Sharon J.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10, 2006
                    This opens up a pandoras box but is also a wonderful opportunity to
                    explore middle grade education options:

                    WCCUSD could rebuild Portola on a different site. Both Castro and
                    Fairmont have yet to be rebuilt and their sites may be large enough to
                    accommodate a small to mid-size middle school.

                    And either one of these campuses could potentially be relocated to the
                    lower portion of the Portola site.

                    A smaller to mid-size middle school (350-500 students) would be
                    possible if some of the schools who have shown an interest in K-8
                    (Kensington, Harding, Washington, etc.) were allowed to convert.

                    I also like Kevin's idea of adding a 6th and/or 7th grade to
                    elementary schools and an 8th grade to El Cerrito High.

                    If the new middle school were built with a specific
                    focus/theme--music, college prep, language immersion--that would
                    potentially attract the kind of parents who are now somewhat reluctant
                    about enrolling.

                    Lots of possibilities here...