middle school improvements

  • Sharon J.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2006
      Whew. That's quite a list.

      I looked it over and the only ones I could hope to have an impact on
      are #2 parent participation, #3 parental fears, and possibly #4 better
      communication--although I'm not sure how. Put out a newsletter?
      Volunteer to be the e-Tree coordinator?

      I'm still confused about the double block scheduling but for all I
      know it may have changed in 2 years.

      Not sure how helpful a report would be that was written 10 years ago
      but it would be interesting to see what observations/conclusions were
      reached and if any of them were implemented.

      I'm willing to get involved in any school my child attends and work to
      make it better but only if I feel that there will be help from the
      teachers, the principal, and downtown administrators.

      So far, at Harding the teachers have been VERY open to everything the
      PTA has wanted to do (raise money, support the science program, pay
      for an art teacher, conduct kindergarten tours, launch a website,
      etc.). Our principal was very supportive also. She didn't micro-manage
      but did identify resources and support and encourage us. As for
      downtown....well, let's just say they usually issue edicts, screw up
      everything the first time, and then scramble around trying to make it
      better.

      The big exceptions is special ed. We get so many calls from parents
      who are desperately unhappy with the kind of services being offered at
      parochial schools, private schools, and Albany Unified. I think if you
      have a kid who is diagnosed with autism at three years old--you want
      to be in this district.

      At least that's my perception as a parent having been in the district
      for 5 years.

      Middle School Observations