Re: Something Postitive You Can Do

  • Ms. Ott
    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2006
      I think there may be a slight misunderstanding of what I proposed.
      As Eduardo pointed out, I wasn't asking WCCUSD have control over
      wccusdtalk, merely to let the public know it existed as they let the
      public know about the other reasources for which they have links on
      their web site. This is marketing. If you don't market your
      product, it won't sell. If we don't "market" this discussion group,
      its sphere of influence will be very small, and that's a shame
      because it does give a venue for voices and ideas in this district
      that need more than 2 minutes of public speaking time at a school
      board meeting to express.

      I do understand, though, why WCCUSD would make a blanket policy
      about not "endorsing" unmoderated discussion groups. While I
      understand why the district communications manager would make such a
      policy, I don't agree with it. Do you?

      I think such a policy is contrary to free speech and open
      communication. I think it's up to the citizens -- you folks -- to
      change that policy. I don't understand why some of you who've been
      in this group for a long time are more supportive of this idea. Why
      is that?

      I do think that with perseverance and a coordinated effort,
      eventually wccusdtalk could get their link on the district by
      exerting pressure to get WCCUSD communications department to change
      their current policy.

      BTW, as for my proposal way back when to learn and teach how to use
      the district web page templates, and use them for our own web site,
      that was merely a matter of practicality and efficiency. If we used
      the HTML code the district does, then someone who learns that format
      could easily volunteer to work on their local school's web site. If
      they're already trained in using the district's HTML code it's like
      knocking down more than one bowling pin with one ball (which is much
      nicer analogy than the one about killing birds with stones, don't
      you think?). Again, the web site concept had nothing to do with
      district approval over its content -- just using its HTML templates
      to provide the same infrastructure.

      --Ms. Ott

      ------------------------

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Eduardo Martinez <ezedmartin@...>
      wrote:

      > I have yet to figure out why, to some people, a link
      > to a site or group denotes affiliation. ...
      > A link would show that the district is
      > willing to work with everyone and is not afraid of
      > views different from their own.
      >
      > Eduardo
      >
      > --- Cathy Travlos <cbt@...> wrote:
      >
      > > When we first started West County Parents we were
      > > very clear that we
      > > wanted to be totally independent of the district.
    • ladyluvslife67
      Message 2 of 14 , May 1, 2006
        Mr. Martinez,
        Thank you for letting the list know. Do you have a
        copy of your school's site plan? One question I
        always asked (but never got answered) is the responsibilites
        of downtown -vs- the resposibilities at the site for the NCLB
        mandated actions that must be done when a school enters PI
        status. Where does that $ come from? Out of our site budget?
        I look at the Site Plan, where can I find these things that
        downtown is handling that is going on at our school?

        This is a most troubling item, and even more troubling
        that the information is not available to look at.

        As a SSC (School Site Council) member at my site for the
        last two years, I have learned there are many unclear things
        that often prevent the Site Council from getting all the
        information they need to review their plan YET ALONE
        revise the school plan (which is what the school is
        required to do once they enter PI.

        The last two years have truly been eye opening to the important
        things that are going on at our schools. Its not easy being a
        parent, trying to be involved when 90% of the rest of parents
        don't seem to care. Its depressing. I will say this: As our
        district grows with the # of PI schools we got going on here,
        the importance of the SSC and the importance of people learning
        exactly how the system in place works is critical. Principals
        and Administrators and school board members need to stop attempting
        to go around the parent to get done what they must get done.
        Geez, Im sure its depressing for them too, seeing how little some
        parents seem to care. STOP for a moment......Think about how much
        time and effort has been invested in promoting the idea of the School
        Site Council. I cringe a bit, because at some schools SSC and the
        ELAC seem to be the "new PTA" in flyers, conversations that I have
        had (schools promoting involvement by telling folks to join the PTA)
        Hey - I got no problem with that. Reaching out - Thats all good.

        Tightening up procedures with the SSC regarding:

        Including budget training and categorical training at
        SSC trainings (good job Mr. Trujillo and State/Fed programs
        for getting us not one round but TWO rounds of SSC training)

        Insist each site adopt a policy as to how the SSC is presented
        the budget. Or have this decision made by the State/Federal
        programs and EVERY SITE do it the same way.

        Insist each site captain (or principal) make it their responsibility
        to present the SSC with a copy of the SPSA that is presented to the
        school board. Keep copies of the plan in the office. Have a Q&A
        session to address any concerns then. Follow up with the information
        requested by the SSC.

        Thanks again Mr. Martinez!!

        AMEDINA

        wrote:

        > The board packet says that the program improvement
        > plans can be seen on the WCCUSD website, but I have
        > not been able to find them. Maybe the board packets
        > should contain the URL so people not used to
        > navigating sites as poorly laid out as the WCCUSD's
        > won't have to go hunting aimlessly. (Ms. Ott, maybe
        > you could help them make the site more user friendly.)
        >
        > Ways to make the website user friendly:
        > 1) place all items related to one school under a
        > heading for that school.
        > 2) cross reference pages so one can easily go from one
        > related page to another.
        > 3) make the home page more visually friendly.
        > 4) make info available to users without acrobat
        > reader. Why can't a person be able to read a
        > information without having to download, especially
        > when it doesn't contain gobs of bytes.
        >
        > I wanted like to see the Downer program improvement
        > plan and read where it said transfer experienced
        > teachers and school site leaders for less experienced
        > teachers. I'm beginning to believe the district wants
        > Downer to fail. But to balance this bit of negative
        > commenting: the teachers and parents at Downer will
        > contunue to counter whatever lack of respect and
        > cooperation the current administration throws our way.
        >
        > Eduardo

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Ms. Ott
        Message 3 of 14 , May 1, 2006
          Which program improvement plans are you looking for, Eduardo?
          Communiction and technology?

          If that's it, there's a link on the main WCCUSD web site that's on
          the right which says "District Technology Plan." This takes you
          through 2 layers to get to:

          http://www.wccusd.k12.ca.us/about/technology_plan/05_08.pdf

          I agree that board packets should contain the URLs to information
          they say is posted on the web site. That's good writing. I agree
          with a lot of the other suggestions that Eduardo made about
          improving the web site.

          So, how do we get these concerns addressed?

          Well, we're back to the communication/accountability problem.
          There's no "suggestion box" type of discussion group run by the
          district, so there's no real effective way for a group of people to
          get their ideas to the folks in the district administration who
          could do something about them other than this one-on-one
          communication that goes on, and that's about as good as nothing most
          of the time.

          Eduardo, as for your suggestion that I might be able to make the
          district web site more user friendly, I probably could do a lot to
          help. But, when I asked for an improvement on the web site last
          year (I asked that the Americans with Disabilities Act packet for
          employees be put on the web site), I was told that the staff was too
          busy. I believe this. It takes a lot of time to post the content
          they receive unsoliceted much less track it down (and HR was
          unresponsive to my request that they deliver the document to the
          Communications Department for posting). So, I volunteered my time
          to help out (citing my extensive technology credentials) so they
          would have more time to make improvements such as this, and I was
          told that the Communications Deptartment doesn't work with
          volunteers (I still have the emails). They're not going to hire me,
          so -- c'est la vie. Catch 22. I tried. More stories to add to my
          autobiography I want to subtitle like Ghandi's ("My Experiments With
          Truth"). ;-)

          --Ms. Ott

          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2006
            It seems downtown is making decisions for the SSC
            these days. At our staff meeting Ms. Uribes, our
            principal, informed us that we would no longer have
            upper grade class size reduction. When asked how that
            decision was made, she said that downtown had told
            her. I reminded her that this was a school site
            decision that needed to be approved by the SSC. She
            said she would talk about it later. I would like to
            add that ILT meetings and SSC meetings have been
            calcelled/postponed for the last few months. Will we
            have a rushed meeting at the end of the year where
            it's "take this or nothing will happen" is our only
            option?

            Our site plane is a joke. If I haven't mentioned it
            before, I will now... at a SSC meeting in early
            February, we were trying to get the school site plan
            ready for approval by the board. The mind set was not
            on how this plan will improve the school, but on what
            do we write to get it done. For instance, on an item
            that had not been addressed, the vice-principal
            suggested we needed a timeline for completion. To
            have symmetry with the other dates, she suggested we
            place the date of January 30, When I pointed out
            that it was now February and we had not even begun to
            address the item, I was told that the school site plan
            was a working document and we could change the dates
            later. Considering how many times we look at the
            school site plan with the intent to change it, I
            suggested we do it right while we were working on it.
            I was seen as an obstructionist.

            I did not see anything in the school site plant that
            specifically addressed the NCLB year 3 designation.
            With the constant change of administrators at Downer,
            we have lost our vision and leadership. All we get is
            platitudes about being data driven. Forget evauating
            the value of the data...drive, he said...

            Another example of the lack of leadership: at our
            monthly staff meeting, only 2 or 3 of the 12 adjuct
            committees reports had anything to say. The depth of
            the reports...C. L. and I met and discussed using the
            Open Court ELD workbooks for ELD. My response
            was....and? The main reason is there was a lack of
            reports is that there is a lack of respect for
            teacher's opinions...many teachers ask themselves and
            one another...why bother? Seems that administration
            is just going through the motions. Of couse you must
            remember these are just my opinions based on what I
            experience along with my fellow teachers.

            By the way,do any schools know how large a budget they
            will be working with next year?

            I like you calling me Mr. Martinez...(lol)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • ladyluvslife67
            Message 5 of 14 , May 2, 2006
              Thanks for your information Mr. Martinez.

              Our school (with population of 450) our projected
              budget is as follows:

              Title 1 120,000
              SLIB 44,000
              LEP 25,000
              ELAP 10,000
              GATE 1,000
              Total 200,000

              The dilemma facing our site is a decision whether or not
              to fund our v/p (at 103,000.00) which will wipe the budget
              pretty much out.

              I did learn that the SLIB monies can be
              used for whatever the SSC approves - so the libraries at
              our schools can actually get NOTHING for the year to operate,
              relying only on the one day a week librarian. Hey this works
              for schools who have a volunteer machine in place, unfortunatley
              not all of our schools have given parents enough info to get
              something jumping down here.

              The budget figures will be in THIS MONTH.
              The principals can get this, and it should be presented to
              the SSC NOW to look at your big items you are funding (personnel).

              I also would like to speak with you more about the procedure of
              revising the site plan. We are also told the same dribble - that
              the plan can be revised throughout the year. When discipline
              problems became out of control at our school and suggestions were
              brought that more supervision was needed, we were told that answer
              (IM SURE Y"ALL HEAR)
              no money for that, and no more talk about our discipline problems,
              no brainstorming about volunteers on the campus to help, nothing.

              Im sick to death of the tired old no money excuse when no one
              wants to do anything ELSE but say that.

              BTW - I looked for VERDE'S reorganization plan
              (this is also on the agenda)
              and it is also no where to be found. Perhaps I can
              buzz down to the district office and get a copy.

              AMEDINA

              p.s. - hey I like that you like I call you Mr. Martinez.
              :)