Re: District Website and Email Server Down

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
      Tammy,
      Its the breakdown of communication that makes these
      things so much worse. We have a Communications department,
      simply someone from the AITS dept could have picked up their
      phone and called to give our communications dept a status of
      what the problem was.
      That way when people like Cathy T calls in to find out what
      is up, the info is there. Yes we often jump to the conclusion
      that we are always the last to know things. With what the
      district gives us to work with, can you blame us?

      Hey you know way more about this stuff that I do. There was
      major hoo-hah and high-five praise over getting a big technology
      grant and I thought that was used to get us a brand new server.

      The Communications department does a fantastic job when they
      get the information to give to the public. The Communications
      department's phone # is given to anyone and everyone to call in
      to the district for just about any kind of information.

      It made no sense that someone didn't think, "Gee lets talk
      with the Communication Dept and tell them what we know"
      Like preparing a press release,
      spinning a not so pleasant situation

      It would have been a lot better to get one of those standard
      PGE responses (when power goes down)
      "We have identified the problem and are working to correct
      it - Please call back for further information" As soon as the
      problem has been identified and we can determine how long to fix
      it, we will update our Communications department"

      And as for calling everyone, the district does have the list of
      people who get the APPLE BITES and weekly news from the district.
      Contact could have been made that way.
      Oh wait,
      if the system was down that would not be possible.
      Grrr thats why technology drives me nuts sometimes!!!
      AMEDINA

      --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, Tammera Campbell
      <tammeracampbell@...> wrote:

      > Gee Kevin exactly how was the district going to communicate with
      all of us over the weekend when there was no website or a server. I
      suppose they should just get a hold of all our phone numbers and call
      each and every one of us. But then again they could have taken an ad
      out in the paper. Oops I forgot, West County Times does not publish
      anything really about west county, they are more concerned with
      Albany and Berkeley.

      > I do agree that the district should have explained a little more
      thoroughly after the fact, but really do we really care what happened
      or would even understand the explanation?

      > I did not defend the district, what I did was point out another
      angle that no one ever considererd, but then again it is always
      easier to bash the district, the educators, the administrators and
      the public for not doing their job in educating these kids.

      > Sometimes the negativity gets old folks and frankly I don't have
      the energy to combat it anymore. What I am doing is trying to pull
      together my community at my end of the district to give a damn about
      these schools and push forward. Yes I can get testy with the best of
      them, but I put in the time at many meetings and do a lot of research
      to understand the big picture. I spend hours sending out
      communications via email and publishing newsletters to tie us all
      together.

      > I have adults who are disengaged in the educational system and it
      is my job to get them engaged. I have teachers who are disengaged in
      the educational system and it is my job to communicate with them to
      try and improve the system for them. I have students who are totally
      disengaged beating the crap out of each other and not respecting one
      another.

      > Well I am a parent who needs to move on and bring a more positive
      light to my schools. I want to motivate and inspire people to care
      and improve their schools. I want to pull this district out of the
      hell hole it is because if we don't we might as well kiss this next
      generation good-bye. Do we want to do something about it or not!
> [...]
      when
      > >hardware will fail. They can suggest that when a piece of
      hardware hits
      > >about the three year limit, we had better think about replacing
      it. But
      > >let's be realistic, this district does not have the money to be
      that
      > >proactive.
      > >
      > > Given this possible scenario, maybe we should be thankful for
      how far
      > >the district has come in producing a website that we have begun to
      rely on.

      > >ladyluvslife67 <ladyluvslife67@...> wrote:
      > > Glen,
      > >Thanks for popping in.
      > >The website being non-functioning and email problems
      > >with the district is really inexcuseable. While you
      > >know way more about this stuff, I hope you get no
      > >less than ALL THE FACTS about what in the world
      > >happened downtown.
      > >
      > >Of course - websites can have issues. Of course -
      > >when new things are updated or whatever stuff can
      > >happen.
      > >
      > >The problems were more than that, for example the
      > >emailing issue that has been goofed up since Thursday
      > >nite: It doesn't bounce the email back right away, it
      > >attempts to send for 2 hours and then deletes it
      > >

      > >HERE IS THE ERROR THAT WAS PRODUCED:
      > >----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
      > ><don.proia@...>
      > >
      > > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
      > >451 <don.proia@...>... gw.wccusd.k12.ca.us: Name
      > >server timeout
      > >Message could not be delivered for 2 hours
      > >Message will be deleted from queue
      > >

      > >Attempting to access the website produces this error:
      > >
      > >can't find the web site 500 Unknown Host The site may no longer
      exist
      > >or it may have moved.
      > >Double-check for any misspellings, punctuation errors, or extra
      > >spaces.
      > >If these suggestions do not work, try restarting your computer
      > >HOW MANY PARENTS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS LOST THEIR VOICE IN
      > >COMMUNICATING WITH THE DISTRICT WITH THESE TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES?
      > >

      > >I have a copy of the board packet - it came in the mail Saturday.
      > >It is very alarming when people like Cathy cannot access this
      > >information online and you should be very concerned. Cathy
      > >represents the "matter of fact" parent who keeps people calm.
      > >When a parent like Cathy is speaking about her frustration in
      > >obtaining information,
      > >well I think you know we have a serious problem.
      > >And then parents like me begin to think about
      > >"failure to disclose" and "conspiracy" and "keeping the people
      down"
      > >types of thoughts.
      > >PLEASE Glen, I want to turn to technology to improve communication
      > >in this district. H-E-L-P
      > >amedina

      > > Secondary school education Graduate school education
      > >school education Graduate school education online High

      Service.

      > >---------------------------------
      > >

      > >Tammera (Tammy) E. Campbell
      > >Pinole CARE
      > >Pinole Valley High Safety Chair
      > >Pinole Valley High School Boosters
      > >Pinole Middle School Site Council President
      > >Pinole Middle School Measure D Committee
      > >2668 Alhambra Way
      > >Pinole, CA 94564
      > >Home: 510-223-3857
      > >Work: 510-486-4460
      > >Fax: 510-222-4643
      > >Pager: 510-425-3192
      > >Email: Tammera.Campbell@...
      > >
      > >Following are contacts for other email lists to consider joining:
      > >Ellerhorst Elementary School: ellerhorst_etree@...
      > >Collins Elementary School: alisoncrooks@...
      > >Pinole Middle School: Tammera.Campbell@...
      > >Pinole Valley High School: mikewitz2@...
      > >Pinole CARE: parents@...
      > >WCCUSD Parent Forum: wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com

      > Secondary school education Graduate school education
      Home school education Graduate school education online High