Mandatory School Uniforms

  • Sharon J.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      I was at the Harding Elementary PTA meeting last night and we got a
      heads up that there is an effort underway to make school uniforms
      mandatory district-wide.

      Does anyone have information about this?

      I have a 3rd grade son who loves to wear shorts every day with
      colorful t-shirts and a daughter entering kindergarten who loves to
      dress herself--pink, purple, and red are her colors of choice. This
      would be a huge adjustment for them.

      I noted that CA law permits an opt out provision. Is this a difficult
      thing for a parent to do?

      Can anyone report from individual schools who have adopted this? Does
      it seem to improve the learning environment? How do kids who are used
      to coming to school and choosing their clothes adjust to this?

      Thanks.
    • Francie
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        Hi, Sharon-
        The Board has been discussing K-8 school uniforms in the past few
        meetings and I believe that it's on the agenda again for Wednesday
        night. Legally, the District needs to provide parents with six months
        notice so they are beginning that process now. Implementation would
        be in October.

        Harlan Kerr is the District administrator who has been providing the
        research and information to the Board. He will be sending weekly
        updates to the principals, with Questions & Answers. The first one
        just went out so check with your principal.

        Olinda and Washington schools have uniforms, as well as a few other
        elementary sites. Students and parents from those schools spoke at
        one of the recent Board Meetings in favor of the policy. Maybe Jim
        Cowen would like to chime in here (he was one of the speakers).

        The District website & publications will be used to inform parents of
        the policy as will site-generated newsletters. The whole process is
        just beginning so you can expect to hear more this spring.

        Francie Kunaniec, Librarian
        Adams Middle School
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          Before March 1st: Who knows? But an administrator had been researching
          the issue.
          March 1st: School uniforms is a discussion item.
          March 15th: Mandatory school uniforms is approved as an action item as
          a simple Board motion.
          April 5th: A formal resolution to approve a mandatory school uniform
          policy that's still pretty general is presented as a consent item for
          approval.
          Sometime next week: The committee mentioned in the motion and
          resolution to flesh out the details will start meeting (including what
          grades it will apply to). I have no idea who is on the committee but
          maybe that will be revealed tomorrow.

          One of the items this committee will work on will presumably be the
          form for opting out.

          The other school besides the two Francie mentioned as having school
          uniforms is Verde. Jim Cowen (Olinda) produced a document describing
          Olinda's experience whose URL I sent throught the District PTA list in
          early March. It's at:

          http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/ImplementingASchoolUniformProgramInWCCUSD.pdf

          The two main school districts used as references are Long Beach and
          Pittsburg. While the policies in these places seem to be considered
          successes, our District might be a little different. As part of the
          core of the Bay Area, there might be far more cultural resistance to
          uniformity. But, who knows? We'll be finding out.

          Charley Cowens

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            Sharon-

            I forgot to add that the next Bayside Council PTA meeting (on 4/24)
            will include a session on the evolving nature of the new uniform
            policy.

            Charley Cowens

          • Sharon J.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
              Thank you Francie and Charley.

              I know this is being promoted as a safety measure but when our
              principal said it would probably be "mandatory" for all schools, I was
              floored.

              I'm wondering how much latitude there will be for the parent opt out
              policy. My understanding is that successful uniform policies get a lot
              of buy-in from parents and giving us 6 months notice and letting us
              choose our school uniform colors is not my idea of "buy-in". My idea
              of parent input would be to ask the parents at Harding whether they
              think their kids could benefit from a school uniform policy.

              We already put up with standardized testing, a somewhat dull and
              uninspiring standardized curriculum (Open Court), and now our children
              have to all dress the same too? Ugh. It rankles my non-conformist heart.

              I may try to attend the board meeting tonight but I have 2 kids at
              home who are too sick to go to school so don't know if that's possible.

              --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"
              <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

              > Sharon-
              >
              > I forgot to add that the next Bayside Council PTA meeting (on 4/24)
              > will include a session on the evolving nature of the new uniform
              > policy.
              >
              > Charley Cowens
              >
              > On 4/4/06, Charley Cowens <charley.cowens@...> wrote:
              > > Before March 1st: Who knows? But an administrator had been researching
              > > the issue.
              > > March 1st: School uniforms is a discussion item.
              > > March 15th: Mandatory school uniforms is approved as an action item as
              > > a simple Board motion.
              > > April 5th: A formal resolution to approve a mandatory school uniform
              > > policy that's still pretty general is presented as a consent item for
              > > approval.
              > > Sometime next week: The committee mentioned in the motion and
              > > resolution to flesh out the details will start meeting (including what
              > > grades it will apply to). I have no idea who is on the committee but
              > > maybe that will be revealed tomorrow.
              > >
              > > One of the items this committee will work on will presumably be the
              > > form for opting out.
              > >
              > > The other school besides the two Francie mentioned as having school
              > > uniforms is Verde. Jim Cowen (Olinda) produced a document describing
              > > Olinda's experience whose URL I sent throught the District PTA list in
              > > early March. It's at:

              http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/ImplementingASchoolUniformProgramInWCCUSD.pdf

              > > The two main school districts used as references are Long Beach and
              > > Pittsburg. While the policies in these places seem to be considered
              > > successes, our District might be a little different. As part of the
              > > core of the Bay Area, there might be far more cultural resistance to
              > > uniformity. But, who knows? We'll be finding out.
              > >
              > > Charley Cowens
              > >
              > > On 4/4/06, Sharon J. <sj_jpm@...> wrote:
              > > > I was at the Harding Elementary PTA meeting last night and we got a
              > > > heads up that there is an effort underway to make school uniforms
              > > > mandatory district-wide.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone have information about this?
              > > >
              > > > I have a 3rd grade son who loves to wear shorts every day with
              > > > colorful t-shirts and a daughter entering kindergarten who loves to
              > > > dress herself--pink, purple, and red are her colors of choice. This
              > > > would be a huge adjustment for them.
              > > >
              > > > I noted that CA law permits an opt out provision. Is this a
              difficult
              > > > thing for a parent to do?
              > > >
              > > > Can anyone report from individual schools who have adopted this?
              Does
              > > > it seem to improve the learning environment? How do kids who are
              used
              > > > to coming to school and choosing their clothes adjust to this?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks.
              > > >

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • jim cowen
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                Uniforms

                We started a school uniform program at Olinda in Sep
                2005.

                My initial motivation for uniforms may surprise some
                people. As you know, in 2003 and 2004 we spent a lot
                of time fighting to keep Olinda open. It seemed
                ludicrous (to us) to want to close such a top notch
                school. So, one tact was (and is) to find ways to
                showcase and highlight Olinda. Implementing school
                uniforms has been one way for Olinda to show it is a
                positive force within the district.

                At Olinda we have 100% compliance. By that, I mean
                that on any given day, 100% of the students are in
                uniform. We have two families who asked for the
                opt-out provision. One was upfront that her reason
                was just in case she didn’t get the laundry done. The
                other never stated the reasons, but nonetheless their
                children are still in uniform each day.

                For the students it is not a big deal. When asked,
                many will say that they would prefer to wear their own
                style (including my own daughter). However, many also
                say they prefer it, and most agree it is easier and
                not anything to complain about.

                In our research, we found several arguments against
                uniforms.

                Cost. Many people seem to imagine historic parochial
                uniforms, with expensive sweaters and gold embroidered
                crests. In reality, uniform shirts are found in local
                Target and Mervyn’s for $5.99 - $8.99. Across the
                board, the clothing items are less expensive than what
                most parents are sending their children to school in
                now.

                In fact, we found an added benefit. By arranging a
                uniform thrift program, and with PTA support and
                minimal funding, we are able to make sure economically
                disadvantaged students can dress just like the rest of
                the student body. Without uniforms, there is no way
                for schools to assist with clothing. How’s THAT for
                equity!

                Difficulty. Some parents were concerned uniforms
                would be more difficult to deal with. In fact, most
                now say uniforms makes mornings much easier. Our
                first “free dress” day of the year had remarkably
                higher tardy rates.

                Missed class time – discipline. Some are concerned
                that kids will spend time sitting in the principal’s
                office over a uniform infraction rather than being in
                class. Come on, this is silly. Sure, a student may
                be sent to the principal’s office once. But, if it is
                more than once, then the child’s problems lie not with
                a uniform, but with parenting.

                This is America. Ok, I will admit this is the ONLY
                argument I ever found that at least has some basis to
                it. This is America. Free choice. Free expression.
                The question is simply where the line should be drawn.
                Should shoes be optional? Shirts? No, I assume
                everyone will agree that line is too far in one
                direction (although, for those who want it, there is
                always home school, and I’m sure there is a charter
                school somewhere that would allow it). Should
                students be required to wear pressed shirts, brass
                buttons, and to march to and from classrooms? Again,
                everyone will agree that line is too far in another
                direction (and again, there are schools where you can
                get that if you desire).

                So, we all agree there should be a standard, we just
                have to figure out where that standard is. There is
                nothing un-American, and no infringement of freedom,
                by setting the line at a standard that has been
                demonstrated to be better for the education of
                children. And, for any parent still stuck on their
                own liberties being infringed, there is the opt-out
                form.

                So, we have several arguments against school uniforms,
                all of which fail under scrutiny.

                But, why have uniforms?

                Check the studies. They are everywhere. The simple
                fact is, schools run better, and children learn more,
                when uniforms are implemented. You can argue about
                why, or how much, but the fact remains. For cryin out
                loud, its your children!!!! If someone could show me
                that using a green pencil would improve my child’s
                education, you can bet my child would have green
                pencils! Lot’s of ‘em. And extra for their
                classmates, too. (And, I’m sure some classmate’s
                parent would be mad at me and spend time trying to
                figure out why there shouldn’t be green pencils!!)

                If school uniforms will help just one single student
                get an ever-so-slightly better education, then it is
                worth it.

                Other notes…

                Opt Out. I’ve seen several questions about the
                opt-out. The Ed Code (i.e. state law) says every
                parent has to have the option. There is no formal
                program in the district yet (I assume that’s what the
                committee will work on). However, at the most
                difficult it would require a parent making an
                appointment with a principal, and at the most
                convenient it would require sending a note with your
                child. This is America (remember that theme?!), so
                you know it will be an accessible option.

                I have my own opinion about how and why parents who
                would choose the opt-out are failing in their
                parenting, but, being a true American, I will
                nonetheless defend their ability to do so.

                Committee. I have also been told Harland Kerr is the
                admin head of the committee. I have not heard
                anything else. I have assumed that the committee will
                be appointed after the resolution is adopted.

                6 month rule. The ed code requires 6 months notice,
                but the wording is non-specific. From the date of a
                resolution? A notice sent home? It isn’t clear. At
                Olinda, we announced the uniform policy in late May;
                with uniforms voluntary starting the first day of
                school in August, and mandatory starting the first
                school day in January (just over 6 months). That
                worked very well. From August thru December, we had
                probably 90 – 95% compliance.
                All in all, I think Uniforms can help WCCUSD do a
                better job in its mission. It won’t solve all the
                problems. It may not solve any problems. But it is
                minimal effort, and will definitely have benefits.

                Hope this info helps.

                Jim Cowen

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Sharon J.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Very helpful, Jim!

                  One day my four year old son requested that he be allowed to wear
                  underwear on his head all day and we had to go to Costco so I let him
                  sit in the cart while we cruised around the store with him wearing his
                  briefs on his head. He never asked again after that. It was
                  embarrassing for me but a good lesson for him because I figured he
                  needed to experience what it was like to look different from everyone
                  else. The lesson he learned is that people stare at you.

                  I am okay with a policy that gives parents an opt-out option. Not okay
                  with forcing every kid into one mode of dress. If students want to
                  wear uniforms because all their friends are doing it and they want to
                  share their school pride, great. If you have one independent
                  5-year-old who loves wearing bright purple striped shirts with a
                  bright pink floral pair of pants, I don't see any reason to take
                  punitive action against that kid.

                  Again, thanks for sharing your experiences at Olinda.

                • burt522@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                    I am a parent of 2 Olinda Elementary School students. Last year, when the idea first came about to consider uniforms at our school, a survey was sent home to all parents. We received an overwhelming response in favor of uniforms (70% I believe. Jim correct me if I'm wrong). We also spoke with students (especially those in the upper grades) and found them to also be in favor of a school uniform. This was something the majority of our school community clearly was in favor of, thus making the transition relatively easy. Having said that, my youngest son who started Kindergarten this year initially didn't like the idea of "wearing the same clothes" he wore the day prior. Once he noticed that all of the kids were "wearing the same clothes" he hasn't made a comment about it since.

                    I don't mind the uniforms. I don't look at them as something that has taken freedom of speech away from my children or me. There remains plenty of ways for us to express ourselves in our school community. Whatever the outcome, I hope ALL children in the district benefit from this impending decision.

                    Rhonda Burton
                    Olinda Elementary School Parent

                    From: "Sharon J." <sj_jpm@...>

                    > Thank you Francie and Charley.
                    >
                    > I know this is being promoted as a safety measure but when our
                    > principal said it would probably be "mandatory" for all schools, I was
                    > floored.
                    >
                    > I'm wondering how much latitude there will be for the parent opt out
                    > policy. My understanding is that successful uniform policies get a lot
                    > of buy-in from parents and giving us 6 months notice and letting us
                    > choose our school uniform colors is not my idea of "buy-in". My idea
                    > of parent input would be to ask the parents at Harding whether they
                    > think their kids could benefit from a school uniform policy.
                    >
                    > We already put up with standardized testing, a somewhat dull and
                    > uninspiring standardized curriculum (Open Court), and now our children
                    > have to all dress the same too? Ugh. It rankles my non-conformist heart.
                    >
                    > I may try to attend the board meeting tonight but I have 2 kids at
                    > home who are too sick to go to school so don't know if that's possible.
                    >

                    > --- In wccusdtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Charley Cowens"
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Sharon-
                    > >
                    > > I forgot to add that the next Bayside Council PTA meeting (on 4/24)
                    > > will include a session on the evolving nature of the new uniform
                    > > policy.
                    > >
                    > > Charley Cowens
                    > >
                    > > On 4/4/06, Charley Cowens wrote:
                    > > > Before March 1st: Who knows? But an administrator had been researching
                    > > > the issue.
                    > > > March 1st: School uniforms is a discussion item.
                    > > > March 15th: Mandatory school uniforms is approved as an action item as
                    > > > a simple Board motion.
                    > > > April 5th: A formal resolution to approve a mandatory school uniform
                    > > > policy that's still pretty general is presented as a consent item for
                    > > > approval.
                    > > > Sometime next week: The committee mentioned in the motion and
                    > > > resolution to flesh out the details will start meeting (including what
                    > > > grades it will apply to). I have no idea who is on the committee but
                    > > > maybe that will be revealed tomorrow.
                    > > >
                    > > > One of the items this committee will work on will presumably be the
                    > > > form for opting out.
                    > > >
                    > > > The other school besides the two Francie mentioned as having school
                    > > > uniforms is Verde. Jim Cowen (Olinda) produced a document describing
                    > > > Olinda's experience whose URL I sent throught the District PTA list in
                    > > > early March. It's at:
                    > > >

                    > http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/ImplementingASchoolUniformProgramInWCCUSD.pdf
                    > > >
                    > > > The two main school districts used as references are Long Beach and
                    > > > Pittsburg. While the policies in these places seem to be considered
                    > > > successes, our District might be a little different. As part of the
                    > > > core of the Bay Area, there might be far more cultural resistance to
                    > > > uniformity. But, who knows? We'll be finding out.
                    > > >
                    > > > Charley Cowens

                    > difficult

                    > Does
                    > used

                  • ladyluvslife67
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                      Thank you Charley for the info on this item.

                      When my eldest was at Dover (94-95) a uniform program
                      was "desired" but not "required". That didn't work
                      too well. Hey, as a parent I got lazy. Even though
                      he looked real cute, at the time I figured why should
                      I force my kid to wear a uniform when the majority of
                      the other children were not? My son LOVED the uniform
                      when we first got it. After seeing the other kids, well
                      you know what happens.

                      If uniforms are indeed voted as MANDATORY by our
                      school board, it would fall upon the site and
                      the principal to determine how to introduce
                      this to their school community? How to enforce
                      non-compliance?

                      Jim's
                      post shares the success of his school &
                      everyone working together to achieve
                      100$ compliance. I also like the idea of school
                      uniforms because it adds a sense of community to
                      the school and I thought a sense of belonging for
                      the kids.

                      The site must have the support of the parents, now
                      how they achieve that is depending upon their school
                      and their community. Mr. Cowens you make some good
                      points in this post, hopefully the board will think
                      about this decision long and hard.

                      AMEDINA

                      <charley.cowens@...> wrote:

                      > Before March 1st: Who knows? But an administrator had been
                      researching
                      > the issue.
                      > March 1st: School uniforms is a discussion item.
                      > March 15th: Mandatory school uniforms is approved as an action item
                      as
                      > a simple Board motion.
                      > April 5th: A formal resolution to approve a mandatory school uniform
                      > policy that's still pretty general is presented as a consent item
                      for
                      > approval.
                      > Sometime next week: The committee mentioned in the motion and
                      > resolution to flesh out the details will start meeting (including
                      what
                      > grades it will apply to). I have no idea who is on the committee but
                      > maybe that will be revealed tomorrow.
                      >
                      > One of the items this committee will work on will presumably be the
                      > form for opting out.
                      >
                      > The other school besides the two Francie mentioned as having school
                      > uniforms is Verde. Jim Cowen (Olinda) produced a document describing
                      > Olinda's experience whose URL I sent throught the District PTA list
                      in
                      > early March. It's at:

                      http://www.baysidepta.org/docs/ImplementingASchoolUniformProgramInWCCU
                      SD.pdf

                      > The two main school districts used as references are Long Beach and
                      > Pittsburg. While the policies in these places seem to be considered
                      > successes, our District might be a little different. As part of the
                      > core of the Bay Area, there might be far more cultural resistance to
                      > uniformity. But, who knows? We'll be finding out.
                      >
                      > Charley Cowens
                      >
                      > On 4/4/06, Sharon J. <sj_jpm@...> wrote:
                      > > I was at the Harding Elementary PTA meeting last night and we got
                      > > heads up that there is an effort underway to make school uniforms
                      > > mandatory district-wide.
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone have information about this?
                      > >
                      > > I have a 3rd grade son who loves to wear shorts every day with
                      > > colorful t-shirts and a daughter entering kindergarten who loves
                      > > dress herself--pink, purple, and red are her colors of choice.
                      This
                      > > would be a huge adjustment for them.
                      > >
                      > > I noted that CA law permits an opt out provision. Is this a
                      difficult
                      > > thing for a parent to do?
                      > >
                      > > Can anyone report from individual schools who have adopted this?
                      Does
                      > > it seem to improve the learning environment? How do kids who are
                      used
                      > > to coming to school and choosing their clothes adjust to this?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks.
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Sharon J.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                        Rhonda, I hope the board extends the opportunity to all school sites
                        to vote on this as they did to your school.

                        I would far rather see each school be allowed to vote yes or no rather
                        than have a mandatory directive from the district.