Re: Investment pays off for Foundation

  • ladyluvslife67
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      Charley-
      Thanks so much, look forward to hearing soon.
      And I hope you are feeling better.

      I do remember TF kicking off classes called ROP
      classes over at ECHS around OCTOBER 2004. It was the alternative
      offering to the TF 2 year committment class that my son was enrolled
      in. Unclear also why all the "graduates" of the TF program are only
      from ECHS, even though TF has classes at Kennedy and RHS.
      AMEDINA

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        The 2005 TF class had kids from both ECHS and Kennedy. It's a 2 year
        program, so maybe the kids at Richmond are only in the first year.
        Cathy

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          --Kevin:

          Don't you know, that any order to make big money you must spend a little.

          From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            Alicia-

            I checked again. The County still has the ROP money for now. The
            Whittier Foundation must have been failed in their attempts to tap
            into the ROP money. They used to appear at Budget Advisory Committee
            meetings, but then I guess they figured out a better way to get some
            money out of the District.

            I think Kevin has already pointed out the after-the-fact nature for
            this very large contract. This is really a giant reimbursement. What's
            missing is any explanation of how they came up with that number. _If_
            you accept that a completely private agency should directly control
            part of the instructional program in the schools, then I think a
            fairer way to approach this would be for Tech Futures to stick to a
            set number of classes before the school year begins and then for the
            District to subsidize Tech Futures for the pro-rated ADA for the
            students' time in these classes minus the overhead cost of running a
            school and a District. Perhaps someone who has a better idea of how
            Tech Futures classes are structured could venture a guess as to how
            close this would be to the $340,000 figure even without the deduction
            for overhead.

            Charley Cowens