Re: [wccusdtalk] Re: Investment pays off for Foundation

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      Alicia-

      The Whittier Foundation has been trying to get access to some part of
      the ROP (categorical vocational ed.) money that is allocated for
      students in the District. This ROP money is actually controlled by the
      County Office of Education. Last time I checked with the County
      Superintendent a few months ago he seemed quite happy with the way the
      County was spending the money and was very uninterested in parting
      with any of it. In the meantime, it is certainly within the realm of
      possibility that he may have changed his mind or had it changed for
      him by the State. I'll double-check.

      Charley Cowens

    • ladyluvslife67
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        Charley-
        Thanks so much, look forward to hearing soon.
        And I hope you are feeling better.

        I do remember TF kicking off classes called ROP
        classes over at ECHS around OCTOBER 2004. It was the alternative
        offering to the TF 2 year committment class that my son was enrolled
        in. Unclear also why all the "graduates" of the TF program are only
        from ECHS, even though TF has classes at Kennedy and RHS.
        AMEDINA

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          The 2005 TF class had kids from both ECHS and Kennedy. It's a 2 year
          program, so maybe the kids at Richmond are only in the first year.
          Cathy

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
            --Kevin:

            Don't you know, that any order to make big money you must spend a little.

            From: "Kevin Rivard" <kfrivard@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              Alicia-

              I checked again. The County still has the ROP money for now. The
              Whittier Foundation must have been failed in their attempts to tap
              into the ROP money. They used to appear at Budget Advisory Committee
              meetings, but then I guess they figured out a better way to get some
              money out of the District.

              I think Kevin has already pointed out the after-the-fact nature for
              this very large contract. This is really a giant reimbursement. What's
              missing is any explanation of how they came up with that number. _If_
              you accept that a completely private agency should directly control
              part of the instructional program in the schools, then I think a
              fairer way to approach this would be for Tech Futures to stick to a
              set number of classes before the school year begins and then for the
              District to subsidize Tech Futures for the pro-rated ADA for the
              students' time in these classes minus the overhead cost of running a
              school and a District. Perhaps someone who has a better idea of how
              Tech Futures classes are structured could venture a guess as to how
              close this would be to the $340,000 figure even without the deduction
              for overhead.

              Charley Cowens